IGNORED

The Journey Begins - Nexen SB802

Wanderer

My intent with this post is to provide as much information as I go along as I can. Going to

the Darkside seems a daunting task for a lot of folks, including myself, so I'm going to try to do a blow by blow of my own procedure and report back, if not daily, at least every ride for the first several thousand miles or so.

Finally, got my new tire yesterday and am having it installed today at 10.

As many of you know I live in a motel and doing any of my own work isn't really

an option unless I can get Sleeperhawk or Pecker's help so I have a local shop,

M&M cycles, doing the whole nine yards.

I purchased the tire, $60 including shipping, from Onlinetires.com. Originally ordered a Federal, but ended up with the Nexen because the Federal was on national back order. For an online out-fit

they don't respond well to emails etc, but when I finally got on the phone with them they

went right to work and sent the Nexen the day I called. I'll reserve judgment on the

company for now as they seem very competent if you speak by phone to an actual person.

I just feel as an online store they should be more responsive to email and they seem to

not check their email much.

As quick as I ordered the tire from Onlinetires I jumped over and hit up Innovative Balancing

for the Dyna Beads. I've used this approach to every tire I've ever installed on my own and

I absolutely love Dyna Beads for balancing my tires. I intend to use 3 ounces in the Nexen as

recommended by Innovative Balancing for installation of a c/t on a motorcycle.

For now I intend to continue to run the oem Dunlop D404 on the front. Perhaps next month I'll

change that out. Contrary to popular belief I'm not a wealthy man.

:95:

That's it for now, will report again, as soon as I return from the install. May make a detour to the state fair along the way, so please be patient.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_xOOWRVc9-a4/StmilFSnjqI/AAAAAAAAA4M/-R9EQycLL_I/s400/165_80_15.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_xOOWRVc9-a4/StmilBTAo4I/AAAAAAAAA4Q/2Wqo2UlU_Q8/s400/NexenSB802.jpg

PS: the tread is deeper than it appears in photos.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Wanderer
spelling

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:doh: Man, the guys I took it to were not really set up for tires. Not enough lube or something and they blew the side out:bang head:. Scared the you know what out of me. So my trip to the darkside will be postponed a while longer while I try to round up another tire. I won't give up over this little set back.

Guess I'll have a :beer: and try to get another tire this coming week. Sorry for my delay.

I don't know any members as of now close that have a changer (hint). I could wait til I get back to

Alabama and do it myself I guess. I have my changer there. Part of the pit falls of living and

working away from home.

Drawers were changed as quick as I got home. :big-grin-emoticon:

They destroyed the tire? :eek:

Yep, but I had already agreed I wouldn't hold them liable if any thing went wrong for installing

a car tire. Frankly, I should have known better and had an uneasy feeling when I arrived this

morning. Nothing seemed to be right. Others have already said it was an omen and it was meant

as a warning not to install a c/t. Fortunately I'm not the superstitious type.

Thanks, I'm looking for the Kumho now. Would like to pick this one up local if possible.

By the way I suffer from coulrophobia! You're scaring me dude! :rotfl: :rotf:

I blew up a Federal while airing it up.

The Kuhmo held 125psi.

I'd get a Kuhmo next time.

Thanks, I'm looking for the Kumho now. Would like to pick this one up local if possible.

By the way I suffer from coulrophobia! You're scaring me dude! :rotfl: :rotf:

If you have a Discount tire near you, check them out. Had them order my BFG Radial T/A for my "sidecar" they did and mounted it to my wheel no problem.

The cooper classic I tried to mount blew at 85 lbs.

No problem with the kumho, used straight murphy lube and it seated easily.

Gregg

Thanks, got the Kumho yesterday. Tires-Easy.com.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_xOOWRVc9-a4/SuBhleDvaYI/AAAAAAAAA5E/K6xgxtxxnD8/s640/dsc01907.jpg

Hopefully, I can find some one else to mount

it this weekend.

:thumbsup2:

Edited by Wanderer
add text and image

Got up this morning and went to Sleeperhawks. [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42193]While he and Pecker were working on his gauges[/ame] I borrowed the jack and got the tire off. About two miles down the road is Hawg Wild, a little, but nice Harley repair shop. I ask the owner if he can take the old tire off and mount the new car tire. He says he can get one off and the new on, but isn't sure about getting the bead set. Well he couldn't and suggested I take it around the corner to Firestone and have them air it up and then bring it back and he'd balance it. Ok, so I run over to Firestone and presto tire mounted, tipped the mounter and head back to Hawg Wild. 5 minutes later, my tire is balanced. Payment? One old Dunlop and that's for all his trouble and the balancing. All this in less than an hour.

Shoot back to Sleeperhawks and am starting to clean and grease all the gears etc. Lunch break. It's raining pretty good by now, so guess I'll wait til later to finish the grease job and reinstall of the tire, but I couldn't be happier to finally be a member of the Darkside. More pics and ride details later.

:big-grin-emoticon: :big-grin-emoticon: :big-grin-emoticon:

Edited by Wanderer
link posted

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_xOOWRVc9-a4/SuQ3oYKIoJI/AAAAAAAAA5Y/SFmQsZOzxkU/GuidancebyGeorge.jpg

Don't care what nobody says. That's one fine looking motorcycle - - - car tire. :thumbsup2:

I'm an early riser, so it's killing me to wait until nine to get back over to George's and get this baby all bolted up and go for a ride. ;)

A friend of mine who is a member of this site just blew the side out of a Nexen tire while trying to mount it on his RSV. He said it blew out at 120 psi. It would seat all but about 6 inches around the bead and he locked the air chuck on the wheel, set the pressure at 120 and stepped out of the garage. When he peeked in, it blew. Said it took a few years off his life. I'm planning on giving it a try, but with a Kuhmo.:fingers-crossed-emo

Glenn

Finally, I'm riding on the Kumho. Initial impressions are it feels good. I seem to have felt a little wobble

in the slow speed turn leaving Georges, but I left the tire pressure at 33 where it was after the Firestone store. I may play with the pressure some later. Going down the super slab it's smooth and comfy and lane changes just seem to happen as if controlled by my thoughts. Oh heck, I can't really explain it, but I like it.

:thumbsup2:

More thoughts later. By the way, my audio is not working. I'm thinking it had something to do with removing and replacing the CD changer, but I checked the fuse and still nothing. Anybody else had

this problem?:think:

A friend of mine who is a member of this site just blew the side out of a Nexen tire while trying to mount it on his RSV. He said it blew out at 120 psi. It would seat all but about 6 inches around the bead and he locked the air chuck on the wheel, set the pressure at 120 and stepped out of the garage. When he peeked in, it blew. Said it took a few years off his life. I'm planning on giving it a try, but with a Kuhmo.:fingers-crossed-emo

Glenn

Yes, I had the feeling that the Nexen side wall was not as heavy as the Kumho.

Guest tx2sturgis

Just dropped in to see what all the noise was...yall keep ker-sploding things in here!

Are ear muffs normally a requirement for a darksider?

:whistling:

Just dropped in to see what all the noise was...yall keep ker-sploding things in here!

Are ear muffs normally a requirement for a darksider?

:whistling:

Hearing protection is certainly advised. :D I spect most of us, at least me, are still in the learning process, but by gosh I am now an official darksider and loving it.