I have noticed a gas smell on my 84 Venture Royale and couldn;t figure out where it was coming from. I did notice that under the seat it looked like four overflow tubes? and while the bike was in idle gas was dripping from one of them? ANy ideas what could be causing that? I would sure appreciate any insight.

thanks

Rick

First thing that comes to mind is a stuck float in one of the carbs. Could be as simple as the screw that closes the drain hoses you're seeing is not closed all of the way.

I would check the drain screws, tap on the carbs with the handle of a screwdriver to break lose the float. Then add a good dose of Seafoam to the tank and ride.

Dave

You nailed it Rick,

Those are the overflow tubes mounted to the top of each carb's float bowl. One of the carbs probably has a bit of grit caught between the fuel bowl's float needle and it's seat, letting the fuel pump overfill the bowl and out the overflow. Try tapping on that carb with the wood handle of a screw driver or shut the bike off... starting at one carb, open the fuel drain screw (item a in the picture) and drain the gas into a clear jar (looking for grit and water)... now turn the ignition on and fresh gas will flush the now open float needle. let a bit of gas flush through then close the drain screw. Repeat on each carb. Then fire her up and check again. On very early Ventures, it's been "heard of" for one or two to develope a float with a leak that fills up and sinks causing this problem... no resolution there but to replace the float from the dealer.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/1stcarbs3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Seafoam.......Oh yeah.......gotta love the stuff.

Probably one of the only products that actually does what it is advertised to do, and better. A fine product.

It is a gas additive that breaks down fuel varnish. That stuff that makes orfices clog and needle valves stick. Best used if if you add it to the fuel and run the bike for a bit then let it sit overnight in the carbs to do it's cleaning thing. It will do it's best the longer it sits in the system. It's fine to run it through the bike running down the road but the soak is the secret.

If you add a bit more than you should.....no biggie other than a little odd vapor from the exhaust. That goes away with the next tank of gas.

Available at most auto supply stores (at a premium price) or almost reasonable pricing at Wally World for under $10.00 a can. Buy two.....the price has been climbing lately.

Also grab a can of Deep Creep made by the same company. Excellent products.

I have noticed a gas smell on my 84 Venture Royale and couldn;t figure out where it was coming from. I did notice that under the seat it looked like four overflow tubes? and while the bike was in idle gas was dripping from one of them? ANy ideas what could be causing that? I would sure appreciate any insight.

thanks

Rick

That just happened to me..(gas dripping from an overflow tube)....I did what Dave and Mike suggested that you do, and the problem was fixed....

Seafoam.......Oh yeah.......gotta love the stuff.

Probably one of the only products that actually does what it is advertised to do, and better. A fine product.

It is a gas additive that breaks down fuel varnish. That stuff that makes orfices clog and needle valves stick. Best used if if you add it to the fuel and run the bike for a bit then let it sit overnight in the carbs to do it's cleaning thing. It will do it's best the longer it sits in the system. It's fine to run it through the bike running down the road but the soak is the secret.

If you add a bit more than you should.....no biggie other than a little odd vapor from the exhaust. That goes away with the next tank of gas.

Available at most auto supply stores (at a premium price) or almost reasonable pricing at Wally World for under $10.00 a can. Buy two.....the price has been climbing lately.

Also grab a can of Deep Creep made by the same company. Excellent products.

You forgot to mention, after letting them soak over NIght get on the Ride and ride the C..p out of it. Ride it like you stole it, just doesn't cut it. Ride your Bike like you hate it.

Skydoc_17 did this after i told him to do so, after getting on it all Day, all of sudden it ran like it was on a deep Shot of NOS.

Your right Squeeze. I didn't mention that. My bad. I guess I just wasn't thinking as that's the way I ride ALL THE TIME. LOL!

And on that note I noticed something the other day. Since I installed the Mac pipes this spring I've had to limit myself a bit in the corners as the pipes drop the center stand just a tad lower and it scrapes in the lean.....just a bit. But I was cleaning the bike and saw the mudflap on the rear light bar was worn down and rounded off real bad, down to the chrome weight and pretty well into that.

Looking at the bike the flap sits well off the ground. I had my daughter come and take a look with me on the bike and there was still a couple of inches clearence. Now....when I'm cranking throught the twisties the weigh of the bike and my bulky carcess compress the suspension way down and then the flap is grinding away and throwing sparks.

Time to stiffen up the rear end a bit me thinks. Or get rid of the center stand and the light bar so I can get back to riding like I stole it.

Or maybe some tungsten bolts along the bottom of the flap. I love the way tungsten sparks. :yikes: