IGNORED

Created my own Wind Tunnell

I have seen the posts concerning the wind deflectors to keep the “breeze off the knees”. For whatever reason when my feet are on the floorboards this does not bother me. However, when I throw my feet op on my highway pegs I’ve created this wind tunnel which routes the wind straight up my legs and onto my upper body / face.

At highway speeds it is pretty irritating for long stretches and I like to have my legs extended; I’m 6’5”. Will the deflectors reduce this wind as well? It seems as though they would not help this situation - but if you think they will work, though I’m not a big fan of the look, I’ll definitely try adding them.

Second question: I am considering the taller – wider windshield because ..well I’m taller and wider. Has anyone had experience with these?

:fingers-crossed-emo

DR,

+1 on the taller/wider windshield. I am 6'4" and the bigger shield keeps the wind from buffeting my helmet. I can still see over it, but it is certainly easier on the neck for longer rides.

I also get the wind in the chest when extending my legs. However, haven't found it to be a concern - for me. I've heard complains for those with long whiskers. There is even a guy that developed a set of flaps on the chest pockets to deflect this wind. Don't have the wind deflectors, but will follow this thread to see other's input. Might be a good idea.

RR

I tried the tall 21" clearview and didn't really like it, but it did do the job. I didn't like looking through it and it felt like I was pushing a riot shield down the road. After cutting it down 5", I love it.

From what I've figured out on the air tunnel, is that it funnels up the side of the fuel tank even with the lowers. I took a set of soft seatbelt pads (wal-mart) inserted 3 magnets and sewed them in and stuck it to the side of the tank just below the tank emblem and it worked. As the air comes up beside the tank they deflect the air out and away. 70 mph is as smooth as 50 mph. With my feet on the highway pegs, I still get air, but its reduced alot. They don't look good, but they work and they're removable and you still get air to the motor.

Why know one has ever designed something functional and attractive is besides me. Maybe I'm the only one that would buy it. A chrome piece of trim like the one on the Vstar1300 except larger, bout 2" think would probably work really nice.

Im 6' 4", but tall in the waist up. I have the tall windshield, and nothing hits me at all, (Only drips of rain, in heavy down pours)

my trailer is 12 inches wider then my bike, I do get some wind banging, on windy days, or in a heavy cross wind, I just slow down, 5 miles an hour or so. after all. pulling the trailer, your not out there to break speed records.

you can see in the last picture, that the trailer is half the size of the bike

I have the tallest, widest shield available from Yamaha's catalog. I do look through it. I'm so used to it now that it doesn't affect me.

It creates a very still pocket of air for me and my passenger, keeps all rain and bugs off me but can be a bit hot in town. I put two vents in it. The vents themselves are pretty useless when opened so I completely remove them and allow the holes to direct the air onto me. :)