IGNORED

Service Engine Light

FROG MAN

Never fails I got the title in the mail my 04 Silverado is paid in full. I started the truck up last night and the service engine light came on but it runs fine. No time to have it checked and I'm leaving for New York this week.There used to be a paper clip shorting method on the under dash service plug that would spit out the error codes. I think those had the 12 pin diagnostic plugs. Mine has a 16 pin plug under the drivers side dash Is there a way I can put it in test mode to get the stored error code. It is probably something mnor but I need to know before leaving.

If I'm not mistaken Auto Zone will check it for free. By the way it sounds it may just be your 02 sensor turning on the light - hope anyway. easy fix - SEA FOAM. clean the 02 - cat at the same time, reset the light.

Guest scarylarry

Auto zone will check it for free, I have seen it as simple as a gas cap being off or not tight enough, and in most cases they had to replace them....

Then after that it is anyones guess...

The problem getting someone to check the code for free is the year. The federally mandated common interface for the on board computers did not go into effect until 1996, so MOST vehicles that had such a system before 1996 have a proprietary interface that only the manufacturer will be able to use. This started out as a deliberate trap by the manufacturers to force you to go back to their service shops, and that is the very reason we now have a law that makes it possible for anybody to check the codes. No harm in asking Autozone to check it, but don't be surprised if they say they do not have the correct equipment. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

If the Engine Service Light comes on and the Truck does otherwise like it should, it's like the Manual suggests... Get to a Service Station and let it check out as soon as you can....

If there is something major wrong, be it a Sensor or a Actuator, the ECU will go into Fail Save Mode and you can't harm anything by driving the Truck this way.

My personal Guess would be the EGR-Valve ...

You can buy a cheap scan tool for around $40.00 and scan it and get the codes... after it scans it 3 times it will reset the light.

My Truck is a 01 Silverado and it gets a check eng light about 3-4 times a year. the code is an 0440... Its a selemoid that controls the evap canister. Its a Very common problem. With this code there are no ill effects of driving it with the light on. But someother codes can cause the computer to go into limp mode.. causing the truck to run rich and plug the converter.

Best to get it checked asap.

The problem getting someone to check the code for free is the year. The federally mandated common interface for the on board computers did not go into effect until 1996, so MOST vehicles that had such a system before 1996 have a proprietary interface that only the manufacturer will be able to use. This started out as a deliberate trap by the manufacturers to force you to go back to their service shops, and that is the very reason we now have a law that makes it possible for anybody to check the codes. No harm in asking Autozone to check it, but don't be surprised if they say they do not have the correct equipment. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

It's an 04 so it'll have the universal OBDII connector.

Any AutoZone, Oreilly's, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc.... can pull the code. Just don't expect the goober behind the counter to know what it means. Get the code number and it's basic description and then check the interwebs to find the most common solution to said problem.

A lot of times its something as simple as the gas cap loose, but on a GM if the light starts flashing instead of just being solid on that means that something is going on that could damage the catalytic converter. Other auto parts stores also will check or loan the tool. Once you have the code it simplifies finding what is wrong.

It's an 04 so it'll have the universal OBDII connector.

Any AutoZone, Oreilly's, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc.... can pull the code. Just don't expect the goober behind the counter to know what it means. Get the code number and it's basic description and then check the interwebs to find the most common solution to said problem.

You are right - for some reason I read that as a '94 model, not an '04. Thanx for the correction.

Goose