IGNORED

old exhaust collector replacement

we need to come up with something better and cheaper , i am thinking of something like the 2nd gens . i have a JD-2 bender and have made headers for cars before . if somebody can come up with a good and eazy design i will try to make it . if we make the pipe coming out the back longer and bend it dif. we could use slip ons . anybody know the ID and OD of the intake and the out take of the pipes ? Squid , you have had both bikes what do you think ?

Thom

There's no doubt that it could be done, what we may want to try is getting a set of pipes off an RSV and see if we can modify them to fit well. Biggest obstacle that I can think of right off my head is the angles that the pipes come out at. If we can get the 2 bikes side by side, I'm sure several of us could brainstorm and figure something out. I agree that the collector on the 1st gens is the biggest pain there is with working on the bikes.

I'd suggest taking an old 1gen collector and matching the position of the ports on the bench. Can't be all that difficult. Anyone have a worn out collector?? I even wonder if it's neccessary to use the two mounting bolts that the oem collector uses. As far as using a second gen for a model the exhaust runs outboard on the 2gen and inboard on the 1gen. They even had to change the exhaust port angle out of the heads for the redesign.

i got to figger out how to put on drawings on here , i don't have a scanner at home , but lets see , here is my thoughts , run a pipe off the front header back to the muff. than run a pipe down from the rear header make a U turn and Y into the pipe going back . if i had a collector , i would make up a bunch of bends and match them up , anybody have a old one that is not any good they will ship me , i'll pay shipping or if somebody want's the baffles remove from the collector , i'll do it for the price of shipping

Thom

Thanks Eddie , i am not sure why he made the Uturn off the rear jugs instead of just Y them to the front pipes , i have thought the reason was for to keep all the pipes the same length aka tuned but yamaha did not . i think the carbs are a little dif. front and rear , dif. jet size ?

Thom

great ! Dan keep me posted

Thom

I found it and the pipe I broke off. Don't ask me how don't want to talk about it.:innocent: OK got tangeled up with crutches and it BROKE my fall.

You can probally stick it back on to get angle of the thing. All this one needed was finish taking baffles out and closed back up.

PM address?? Or on here which ever.