IGNORED

Need some H/D info

Squidley

Hello Folks,

As some of you know my good friend and neighbor passed away last Saturday. We have gotten the family past the funeral and now I am diving into the reason I have decided to stay in Michigan for a few extra weeks.

Ron had his H/D in the garage, it's a '79 FLH Electra Glide, and I am getting it in a sellable condition for his widow. What I need is some info or if any of you members out there that know where I might find some tech info/Manuals so I can service this bike properly and actually try to get it running. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks Fellas,

I ended up joining a V twin forum and also purchased a CD manual on ebay that also sent me a link to download it while I'm waiting for the disc to arrive. I appreciate all your help and Rick, by all means send my email to your co-worker. I'll keep you all updated on the progress, if I had the extra money I would buy this one. Would give me something of Rons to keep him close :)

Squidley,

I kept a 72 Shovelhead FLH on the road for 12 years and 70,000. Tore it apart completely a couple times for new paint. Had to do a top end every 20,000. Last year I had it, I took it on a two week, 4,500 mile trip to Vegas, Yellowstone, Sturgis and back. I've done it all and seen it all on those things.

That's why I've got a RSV now.:stickpoke:

Seriously, give me a call if you need anything. I actually do like them old bikes, and working on them, just don't want one to be my daily driver.

Later, Scooter Bob

No problem, not to hurt any feelings here, but nothing sounds like a shovel............

You're right, I can meet another bike on the road, and know that's what it was.

Worst part was, I had no idea how good mine sounded, until the guy I sold it to took it for a test ride.

I told him "be nice to it, it's only got 100 miles on a fresh top end". He pulls out of the drive and up to a stop light 1/2 a block away and a crotchrocket comes up behind him. He nailed it, and oh how sweet it sounded.

2 blocks down the street I saw the cherries come out of the trees. Rode down to find him on a side street getting a talkin to. We made the deal in front of the squad car while he was getting written up for 43 in a 25.

Later, Scooter Bob

Mines my baby, got about 50 miles on a fresh top end I did myself. Was the last real motor HD built that was user friendly, all that electronic crap........

Squid, ya got yourself a real classic there, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think that is one of the amf bikes. Those people should have stayed with making bowling balls. The amf years were terrible, even the dealers had a hard time getting those bikes to run out of the box.

The Cream Colored one I posted here on the forum before was a 1978, bad bad bike. Only kept that one about 10 months.

The 1956 I had was a way better bike for what it was. Went from a mini bike to the 74 CI. LOL

Good Luck Squid with the bike,

BOO

Yup, AMF saved Harley Davidson, HD bought the company back from AMF in 1981. The shovel was made until about 1984 till they came out with what was new then , the EVO. While theres been many a bad word about the longivity of the make, especially here in this forum, its amazing that my bike was made 28 years ago, still has orginal paint, cases, trans etc. and is still a VERY strong runner! I'm not gonna open the can of worms again, comparing brands, people ride what they ride. As long as thery're on two wheels, its all that matters. Most here on this forum would probably not appreciate Bertha, shes big, black and VERY loud. She definiately makes a statement, sitting there dripping oil, or ideling with drag pipes, vibrating everything around her. I've done several long trips on her, abet with some mechanicial problems, but its the journey, not the destination. I ride because I ride, do my own wrenching when I can, am willing to learn and have a very fond appreciation of old iron, whatever brand, Nortons, Triumphs, Indians, HD, Bezzers, etc. People laughed at Bert Munroe, but he took that ol' Indian to seemingly impossible feats. I've sat idely by watching posts on "Bikers" and brand bashing. While I'm not a big fan of the company, nor thery're new marketing stratigies with logos, clothing, chrome and cat collars and the like, I do feel that the older bikes are part of the heritage that made motorcycling what it is today. While I do own an RSV (strictly by choice, mostly by cost, and the fact the OL was tired of riding on the back of a hard shovel) I enjoy both my bikes, just for different reasons.

So if my 1981 AMF/Harley Davison is so terrible, even though mostly stock as it came of the showroom floor and still running, so be it.:rant:

Yup, AMF saved Harley Davidson, HD bought the company back from AMF in 1981. The shovel was made until about 1984 till they came out with what was new then , the EVO. While theres been many a bad word about the longivity of the make, especially here in this forum, its amazing that my bike was made 28 years ago, still has orginal paint, cases, trans etc. and is still a VERY strong runner! I'm not gonna open the can of worms again, comparing brands, people ride what they ride. As long as thery're on two wheels, its all that matters. Most here on this forum would probably not appreciate Bertha, shes big, black and VERY loud. She definiately makes a statement, sitting there dripping oil, or ideling with drag pipes, vibrating everything around her. I've done several long trips on her, abet with some mechanicial problems, but its the journey, not the destination. I ride because I ride, do my own wrenching when I can, am willing to learn and have a very fond appreciation of old iron, whatever brand, Nortons, Triumphs, Indians, HD, Bezzers, etc. People laughed at Bert Munroe, but he took that ol' Indian to seemingly impossible feats. I've sat idely by watching posts on "Bikers" and brand bashing. While I'm not a big fan of the company, nor thery're new marketing stratigies with logos, clothing, chrome and cat collars and the like, I do feel that the older bikes are part of the heritage that made motorcycling what it is today. While I do own an RSV (strictly by choice, mostly by cost, and the fact the OL was tired of riding on the back of a hard shovel) I enjoy both my bikes, just for different reasons.

So if my 1981 AMF/Harley Davison is so terrible, even though mostly stock as it came of the showroom floor and still running, so be it.:rant:

Oh yeah, I like the old bikes and ride with people that have them. One of the guys just bought a new Street Glide last year, nice bike. I agree with most everything you said but the Harley guys are way too sentive about their bikes, they make to easy a target for poking fun. They give it right back to us and of course if something happens to one of our "Jap" bikes we never hear the end of it LOL.

I have a 1965 BSA in the garage, neat old bike but I can't ride that thing very far, beats me to death but I enjoy it at times on some of the shorter rides.

BOO