I found a leak on the front caliper today, and took the caliper off, cleaned off all the gunk and had a look at it. I couldn't see any place where it was leaking, so I split the sides, the rubber washers were good, so I reassembled them with a bit of anaerobic sealant out side the perimeter of the rubber washers as some added assurance. Bled the brakes and everything works.

Are there typical places that I sould double check that would leak on this?

Are there typical places that I sould double check that would leak on this?

The fork seals, as the oil can run down, onto the calipers. Aside from that, a piece of crud under the bleeder screw, or on the crush washers., preventing a good seal.

:080402gudl_prv:

Just for interest, you should not split the caliper in half. The pistons can be removed without splitting them. Use air to do this.

Putting anything in between the halves when you reassemble them would possibly give a chance for some of what ever you put in there to end up in the system,,, something you really don't want. If I knew that someone had done this to my bike, I would tear it all apart, thoroughly clean it and then put it back together without any goop at all. Brake fluid isn't compatible with much of anything.

Just for interest, you should not split the caliper in half. The pistons can be removed without splitting them. Use air to do this.

Putting anything in between the halves when you reassemble them would possibly give a chance for some of what ever you put in there to end up in the system,,, something you really don't want. If I knew that someone had done this to my bike, I would tear it all apart, thoroughly clean it and then put it back together without any goop at all. Brake fluid isn't compatible with much of anything.

:sign yeah that: MOF I'd toss the caliper and pick up another one off Ebay. They're cheap enough..... MOF now that I think about it I just took a set off the '83 and I rebuilt the left side a couple of years ago. PM me if you're interested??....

Personally, I trust the anaerobic sealer more than I trust the rubber seal. Not much can beat some Loctite 518 on machined surfaces.

I never thought about the forks leaking, that is probably it. I got to thinking and it was only after I put some air in the forks that it showed. Maybe the air pushed the oil to reveal leaking seals.