IGNORED

Gone Synthetic

Ok.. I've finally went the synthetic way on this last oil change.. AMSOIL 10W40 Synthetic.. no additives etc.. Not many choices around here as to what to use, Yamaha dealership recommended Kawasaki Synthetic Oil.. meh.. AMSOIL was cheaper, I had used it before in my VStar with good results..

Has anyone ever used Royal Purple Synthetic Oil? It's hard to get around here but I may be able to get a decent deal on a couple of cases, but not sure if it's suitable for the RSV as it's mostly for high performance engines.. It would end up being cheaper than anything else I can get around here..

Anyone have good or bad to say about Royal Purple??

Thanks in Advance.

I've used the Royal Purple MC oil in my previous bike, VoyagerXII, and it is really good.

It held up better than the Mobil1 VTwin, and the Voyager ran much cooler with it in the summer. Problem was I couldn't find it much local so I stayed with the VTwin most of the time. ;)

Seaking

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about oil!!

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/G-2156.pdf

Keep in mind, this was published (and paid for) by Amsoil. They don't like the Royal Purple too much. I found the RP in Fredericton, but the place wanted a lot of money for it.

Also this http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

Lots of other great MC information on this site as well including this oil summary http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html

Home page is http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/index.html

I have been using Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 (blue jug) in my MRSV for over a year without problems. Although they don't always carry it, I found some at Canadian Tire a few weeks ago for $22.00 for 4 litres. In the past, I have ordered it by the case from a truck supply place; again, way cheaper than the MC specific Amsoil or Mobil 1. (Note: There is a Rotella 0W40 in a black jug that I would not use)

Depending on what kind of riding I am doing, I usually change it between 6000 and 8000 km, but don't worry about it if I go over. (4-5 oil changes per year) Riding a lot of kilometers in a relatively short time in a moderate (cool) climate is a LOT less hard on oil than short riding intervals, few km and hot ambient temperatures.

Ross

Edited by RossKean

I wouldn't put Royal Purple in a lawnmower or use it to oil a chain on a bicycle.

When I worked at the truckstop, Arrow Trucking had us stock Royal Purple for them. They stuck us with 220 gallons of it after they started losing engines in 6 months.

I've used the Royal Purple MC oil in my previous bike, VoyagerXII, and it is really good.

It held up better than the Mobil1 VTwin, and the Voyager ran much cooler with it in the summer. Problem was I couldn't find it much local so I stayed with the VTwin most of the time. ;)

I just discovered my local car shop actually carries Mobile1 VTwin synthetic oil, at $15 a litre compared to the $19 a litre I paid for the AMSOIL.. compared to the $10 a bottle for the Kawasaki synthetic oil.. I think I know where I'm aiming for next time.

The local dealer stated that RP oil is an AWESOME synthetic oil but unfortunately they had several clutch slippage issues on bikes that had RP in them.. he says he may be wrong but he feels the RP had something to do with it because once they changed the oil out, they didn't have the problem soon afterwards.. Go figure..

Seaking

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about oil!!

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/G-2156.pdf

Keep in mind, this was published (and paid for) by Amsoil. They don't like the Royal Purple too much. I found the RP in Fredericton, but the place wanted a lot of money for it.

Also this http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

Lots of other great MC information on this site as well including this oil summary http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html

Home page is http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/index.html

I have been using Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 (blue jug) in my MRSV for over a year without problems. Although they don't always carry it, I found some at Canadian Tire a few weeks ago for $22.00 for 4 litres. In the past, I have ordered it by the case from a truck supply place; again, way cheaper than the MC specific Amsoil or Mobil 1. (Note: There is a Rotella 0W40 in a black jug that I would not use)

Depending on what kind of riding I am doing, I usually change it between 6000 and 8000 km, but don't worry about it if I go over. (4-5 oil changes per year) Riding a lot of kilometers in a relatively short time in a moderate (cool) climate is a LOT less hard on oil than short riding intervals, few km and hot ambient temperatures.

Ross

Many thanks for the info, I'll be giving them a read today.. I've put over 28,000 MILES on the bike this summer alone and I go through a lot of oil changes.. costs a lot if I stick with amsoil.. wow.. I was surprised how much it cost but wanted to try it.. I can tell when I need an oil change just by how the bike shifts.. and its usually close to the 5,000 mile mark.. even if I get 8,000 miles out of the amsoil, it's still too expensive. Crappy Tire has the Mobile1 VTwin syn oil.. but I haven't notice the Shell Rotella.. I shall keep an eye out for it..

If going synthetic, what's a good grade? 10W40 or 5W20.. 5 W40 I don't think I'd seen before..

All the same, I have the loud loud Larosa pipes on right now and because I can't hear the engine so well, I'm actually running the bike in the high revs a lot, it quells the pipes a bit at that high revs.. but I can feel the diff the syn oil makes on the vibes.. ; 0

Cruise for Kids in Halifax tomorrow.. gotta go out raise money and make some noise.. =)

The 5W40 Rotella Synthetic seems to work well for me and even at the $30 regular price, it is still less than half the cost of the Mobil1 or the Amsoil MC oils. Although not up to your level of riding, I am close to 20,000 miles (over 30,000 km) this year. Pretty good since I work fulltime and the season is painfully short.

I don't think Yamaha recommends a 50 wt oil for the V-4. 5W40 or 10W40 should be good. The synthetics seem to have a longer range of viscosity and they will go longer before oxidation and viscosity breakdown (but you still have to consider contamination and depletion of additives). The Rotella is a diesel oil and is supposed to be pretty good in severe service (i.e. motorcycle) applications. Does not contain "Energy Conserving" additives which can spell trouble for the wet clutch.

Ross

The 5W40 Rotella Synthetic seems to work well for me and even at the $30 regular price, it is still less than half the cost of the Mobil1 or the Amsoil MC oils. Although not up to your level of riding, I am close to 20,000 miles (over 30,000 km) this year. Pretty good since I work fulltime and the season is painfully short.

I don't think Yamaha recommends a 50 wt oil for the V-4. 5W40 or 10W40 should be good. The synthetics seem to have a longer range of viscosity and they will go longer before oxidation and viscosity breakdown (but you still have to consider contamination and depletion of additives). The Rotella is a diesel oil and is supposed to be pretty good in severe service (i.e. motorcycle) applications. Does not contain "Energy Conserving" additives which can spell trouble for the wet clutch.

Ross

gees, that's a lot of riding for someone working full time lol.. I'm fully retired from the Mob and spend too much time on the bike as it is.. most of my mileage is within NS and NB and New England lol. Good on ya!!

Thanks for the info!

Honda moly60 grease on the splines of the drive shaft and clutch hub that connects to the final drive quieted mine down.

I also put some Honda Moly60 Grease in the final drive with synthetic gear lube.

Everytime I went down to the USA on a road trip I picked up a tube or two of Honda60 and will soon be putting some on the rear of the bike..

What syn oil do you have in the final drive?

Everyone has their own favs, but my '99 has only had one kind of oil in it since it was new - - Yamalube 5W40 semi-synth. I change it out every 5K to 6K miles, and while black to a degree, it still comes out with a golden hue. I also now add 6oz of Motorkote every 3rd or 4th oil change, and my Yama-whine is all but gone completely. I'm also getting 2 to 3 mpg better milage. FYI, I only use mid-grade 89 octane fuel.

Another key to great engine performance is using a really good filter, not a cheap Fram or off brand. Spend the extra couple of bucks and save yourself the headache down the road.

Everyone has their own favs, but my '99 has only had one kind of oil in it since it was new - - Yamalube 5W40 semi-synth. I change it out every 5K to 6K miles, and while black to a degree, it still comes out with a golden hue. I also now add 6oz of Motorkote every 3rd or 4th oil change, and my Yama-whine is all but gone completely. I'm also getting 2 to 3 mpg better milage. FYI, I only use mid-grade 89 octane fuel.

Another key to great engine performance is using a really good filter, not a cheap Fram or off brand. Spend the extra couple of bucks and save yourself the headache down the road.

I was going to ask about the "FRAM" filters.. seen them for the bike but not sure if they would be worth the while..

I have a HiPass filter on with the AMSOIL, highly recommended by several shops here.. (I think that's what it's called..)

Still not sure about MOTOKOTE.. don't even know if you can get it around here..

I was going to ask about the "FRAM" filters.. seen them for the bike but not sure if they would be worth the while..

I have a HiPass filter on with the AMSOIL, highly recommended by several shops here.. (I think that's what it's called..)

Still not sure about MOTOKOTE.. don't even know if you can get it around here..

I gotta tell you that the motorkote has taken all of the whine out of my bike. The only time I hear the gears now is when I'm using the gears to slow the bike when I'm going down hill, and only for a small RPM range. Aren't you the one that heard it turns the metal to mush?

I gotta tell you that the motorkote has taken all of the whine out of my bike. The only time I hear the gears now is when I'm using the gears to slow the bike when I'm going down hill, and only for a small RPM range. Aren't you the one that heard it turns the metal to mush?

Never said it turns it to 'mush', but what I read was that some are adamant in their belief that the product is excellent, if you're into racing and do regular engine break downs, which gets the parts cleaned up and so on.. apparently mkote 'coats' the metals as it says it does, but over time it can potentially do more harm than good..

I also prefaced it with "it's what I read, what do *I* know?"

And since it's not available in my area, it's a moot point for me anyway..

Is synthetic the way to go??? I need recommendations.

Synthetic will permit you to go longer between oil changes.. it tends to often quiet down the bike's engine.. gives you feeling that the engine can take the abuse you know it really can anyway, but with synthetic you actually feel it can? lol I dunno.

If you go synthetic, you'll find your oil changes more expensive, but in a year you'll be doing fewer thus in most cases, the cost is offset by the frequency.

Amsoil, which I have in my bike now, is $19 a bottle, Mobile VTwin is $15 while Kawasaki full synthetic is $11 a bottle.. Which is better? Honestly couldn't tell you but I have Amsoil in mine.. I got it for a good price.. but I don't think I'd put it in at full retail price.. ouch..

And make sure you use a top notch filter!

The one advantage I find with synthetic is that it doesn't break down as quickly as regular oil.. I now often find myself riding at the top or middle of the power band instead of the lower end of it.. it smoothed out the bike.. I was a little surprised to discover I had been going 75 mph in 3rd the other day down the highway.. it felt nice. 4th or 5th would have given me better fuel economy mind you.. but man, the throttle is super responsive in 3rd at those speeds.. wowsers.

I use Amsoil 10w-40 and 20w50.

If you become an Amsoil preferred customer, you save on price of their products. I purchase a couple of cases at a time, then I just renew my membership when I need more oil. This way I only renew my membership about once ever two years.

Even without a preferred customer membership, a quart of Amsoil is only $10 on their website.

Phoenix

I use Amsoil 10w-40 and 20w50.

If you become an Amsoil preferred customer, you save on price of their products. I purchase a couple of cases at a time, then I just renew my membership when I need more oil. This way I only renew my membership about once ever two years.

Even without a preferred customer membership, a quart of Amsoil is only $10 on their website.

Phoenix

at $10 a bottle I'd use AMSOIL more often but how do you get their oil for that price? Do you have to order it and have it shipped to your home or do they send you a voucher that you then apply at point of purchase?

Cheers M8