IGNORED

Notice for Purolator Pure One filter users...

I was just on the Purolator web site and found this interesting little piece of info. in their motorcycle oil filter section

What About PureONE

If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter.

What thinks ye all?

Their recommended filter, per their application chart is the ML16817. They have another number down but it looks like a discontinued model ML19819

Purolator Motorcycle application guide

Most people with oil pressure gauges say that the pressure in this engine is very low to start with, however. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has a pressure gauge and uses the Pure-One and see what the oil pressure in their engine is compared to someone who doesn't uses the Pure-one.

It's just a bunch of horse poop that their lawyers made up to cover their behinds.

Purolator doesn't even manufacture their own line of motorcycle filters. They're imported and rebranded.

I've been running Purolater PureOne filters for over 30,000 miles now. My bike has 95,000 miles on it and is still running strong.

i use the pure one.....so is this saying that due to the filter medium, most of my oil will be bypassed?....

No, They're saying that our puny little motorcycle oil pumps may not be able to push the oil through the media in the filter and not be able to even open the bypass valve in the filter.

It's just a bunch of horse poop that their lawyers made up to cover their behinds.

Purolator doesn't even manufacture their own line of motorcycle filters. They're imported and rebranded.

I've been running Purolater PureOne filters for over 30,000 miles now. My bike has 95,000 miles on it and is still running strong.

I thought the same thing about the lawyers. I've not had a problem on either one of my motorcycles.

I also came across the same thing about their motorcycle filters that you said as well.

Just like how "motorcycle oil" is specially formulated. It's not. You only have to worry about oil with the Energy saving friction modifiers in it.

I personally dont even think it's a legal thing but a marketing thing. Hey we can get 2X the price for these if we slap the word "motorcycle" on the box and give it a different part number.

Purolaters concern is understandable. Basically what they are wanting to let you know, if you use there auto filter on a bike, and the filter causes an engine problem, their warranty is voided.

This PureOne filter has a much tighter media, it filters smaller particles out of the oil. A tighter media means a bigger pressure drop, higher pressure going in than coming out. This pressure drop will get higher as the flow rate increases, so, at idle the oil flow is lower, as RPMs increase, the oil flow increases, As the flow increases so does the pressure drop. Make sense?

Now, how does that effect our bikes? That all depends on how much pressure drop is acceptable. Obviosly some of our members have been using this PureOne filter for a while with no immediate adverse effects, but there may be a long term issue. If the top end is getting less oil than needed, especially at higher RPMs, you could run the risk of reducing your engine life. That is probably NOT the case. I would think after 30,000 miles of using the PureOne filter, if engine wear was a concern, it would show up by now.

I am not wanting to toot my own horn, but, I am a mech. engineer in the filtration business, I have had pretty good experience in this stuff.

And yes, I use the PureOne filter as well.

Edited by Pecker
spelling

correct me if I am wrong, but the oil pressure comes from pushing oil through the tight clearances in the engine. The .001" or there abouts in the bearings and cam caps and such. When the bearings start to wear out, you get low pressure problems, which doesn't mean there isn't any oil getting there, just that it doesn't have as small an "orifice" to push through.

If a filter had enough resistance in the media to cause the pressure to drop at the bearings, that is a bad filter. Even at that, the bypass valve in the filter should open in the event it gets plugged to this point to allow oil to flow, but it has been my experience that if the bypass opens, you got bigger troubles than just the filter plugged with gunk.

Just my humble, but accurate :hihi:, opinion.