IGNORED

I basket questions

My I basket is finally here after about two or three weeks wait. Unfortunately I have to travel for work for a few weeks and can't get it put in until after I return. I have a couple of questions please for any of you that have been through this:

- My dealer was told by the Yamaha Canada Service Rep that the i basket should reduce the sound but will also move the whine sound up in rpm so that it occurs at a higher speed. This seems contrary to what I have read in some threads. I am hoping, if anything, that it will happen at lower rpm. Right now is at my low end highway cruise speed around 100 -110 km/hr, and I really don't want it at my more usual cruise speed of about 120 km/hr indicated. Any comments?

- My dealer is checking if Yamaha will pay to put in the original basket if the I basket makes it worse. So far, does not sound promising. It seems to me they should put in whichever sounds better. Yamaha Canada has been very difficult to deal with.

Any comments or experiences from other members? Is the I basket change really worth the effort?

The basket change was worth it in my case. 2005 RSV. I don't know what letter basket was put in as the dealer didn't know they were etched on the side. Duh. I showed him it was on the one taken out, a "G".

OK, as for what I call the "crickets". On my bike, with my old 3/4 it was almost impossible to ride without ear plugs. It was SO ANNOYING, especially 100-110 kph. With ear plugs, or my full face I hardly heard them. After the switch I wear my 3/4 all the time. I can still hear the crickets, but quite a bit less..about 80% less. RPM (or speed) did not seem to change at which they were audible. I am assuming that they will eventually return but so far have 5-6000K and still happy. Note that I said "crickets" and not the whine! My sound was a definite chirp and seemed to be in stereo.

Hope it works out for you.:dancefool:

Firstly, the dealer will tell you that it "may" do nothing more than move the whine to a different rpm...maybe higher, maybe lower. They will not tell you it will reduce it...they know the odds are it won't so they do not want to give any false hopes.

In fact, it may move it to a higher rpm -OR- it may not change it at all -OR- it may reduce it. There are no guarantees on this one. In my case, it made very little difference, if any at all.

Secondly, Yamaha will most likely not cover the cost to put your old basket back in -BUT- if the dealer is any kind of a guy at all, he will do it at a reduced price. They were going to charge me only $50 but I elected not to.

Also, my dealer told me I had two weeks to test it out and decide before he had to close the case and return the old basket back to Yamaha.

For me the end result is very little difference; however, I have since changed the oil back to non-synthetic and added Motorkote and that has made "some" improvement...not a lot.

Cruising at 100-110 km in 5th, I hear very little whine. Where I hear it the most is in 3rd gear around the city at lower speeds but the rpm is at that range where the whine is loudest. I tend to get out of there whenever I can...either dropping it to 2nd or up to 4th.

4th gear produces some whine but not enuf to be bothersome.

Good luck on the swap. Make sure you test it out good within the 2 weeks (make sure your dealer agrees with this) ... and if not satisfied (it's worse), pay the few extra bucks if necessary and put the old one back in.

At some point this winter I am going to purchase an I basket and install it myself. If it's worse, then I will just put the one I have back in. If it's better, then it's money well spent. I have no way of knowing if the basket they installed is actually an "I" basket at this time but if it isn't, you can be sure I will be raising hell with the dealer and Yamaha.

I can't believe the dealers in canada. Yamaha paid for an I basket and paid my dealer to install it no questions asked at 16,000 miles. My I basket took the whine out completely. I know from reading here that it affects bikes differently and you never know until you install one. A former yamaha dealer told me a few weeks ago that yamaha expected approx 300 dealers to close this year. Some of them need to close.

I can't believe the dealers in canada. Yamaha paid for an I basket and paid my dealer to install it no questions asked at 16,000 miles. My I basket took the whine out completely. I know from reading here that it affects bikes differently and you never know until you install one. A former yamaha dealer told me a few weeks ago that yamaha expected approx 300 dealers to close this year. Some of them need to close.

Yamaha paid for my first I basket too....no questions asked....but that's it... only one. I'm not totally satisfied so, since they won't pay for another one, I am going to purchase one myself. I will; however, hassle the rep to get me one at wholesale.

Well, after another frustrating email with Yamaha Canada and dead end phone call with teh dealer, they have confirmed that they will NOT put my original clutch basket back in if the whine gets worse with the I Basket. So, I would have to pay... how much>??? well, they say three hours at the reduced rate of $85 an hour (just for me... cause I am a valued customer... standard rate is $95 an hour). Plus shop supplies, taxes... So I am looking at about $300 to change back to the old basket if the I -basket makes it worse. So I am really wondering if it is worth the chance. BUt I would so love to have that whine/chirp reduced.

I read somewhere that the basket change was a 0.5 to 1.0 hr job.. I think they are just trying to make sure they get some $$ back.

And yes...I would have to agree with an earlier post that our canadian dealers and customer support does not seem to be as supportive as thier USA counterparts.

I will have to think about this clutch thing carefully as I don't really want to go through it all and then have to pay $300 to go back to what I have now anyway.

I asked the dealer if they would buy my bike back..... you know what the answer to that is!!!!

Well, after another frustrating email with Yamaha Canada and dead end phone call with teh dealer, they have confirmed that they will NOT put my original clutch basket back in if the whine gets worse with the I Basket. So, I would have to pay... how much>??? well, they say three hours at the reduced rate of $85 an hour (just for me... cause I am a valued customer... standard rate is $95 an hour). Plus shop supplies, taxes... So I am looking at about $300 to change back to the old basket if the I -basket makes it worse. So I am really wondering if it is worth the chance. BUt I would so love to have that whine/chirp reduced.

I read somewhere that the basket change was a 0.5 to 1.0 hr job.. I think they are just trying to make sure they get some $$ back.

And yes...I would have to agree with an earlier post that our canadian dealers and customer support does not seem to be as supportive as thier USA counterparts.

I will have to think about this clutch thing carefully as I don't really want to go through it all and then have to pay $300 to go back to what I have now anyway.

I asked the dealer if they would buy my bike back..... you know what the answer to that is!!!!

3 HOURS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?????? NO FRIGGIN WAY, JOSE!!

I just changed my own a couple weeks ago. First time always takes longer when you're doing mechanical work, after that it is quicker. Took me under an hour total. That is a 1 hour job tops! And that's for a lazy slob who isn't motivated to help the customer.

I can't believe this. You have a JERK for a dealer. Tell you what....just tell them to give you your old basket and take it back home with you. I'll loan you the tools you need to change it and give you instructions with pictures. You will be amazed what they tried to pull on you.

3 HOURS!!!!! :Bunny2::Bunny2:

SilvrT... how do you talk to the rep?

Rep for prairies will NOT talk, email, phone, text, look/smile at, any customer on any issue. I think they visit the local dealer in the dark of night only.

Protocol is...

START HERE> go the dealer > dealer attempts to repair > if problem not resolved > repeat go to dealer once more > if problem not resolved > call Yamaha Canada > Yamaha Canada says contact dealer > Dealer says done everything they can > Contact Yamaha Canada > they say go to dealer > repeat as many times as necessary > until you get "Contact Consumer Protection Dept and get a Lawyer"... from Yamaha Canada > STOP in absolute shock > :hurts: try dealer again...or??

3 HOURS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?????? NO FRIGGIN WAY, JOSE!!

I just changed my own a couple weeks ago. First time always takes longer when you're doing mechanical work, after that it is quicker. Took me under an hour total. That is a 1 hour job tops! And that's for a lazy slob who isn't motivated to help the customer.

I can't believe this. You have a JERK for a dealer. Tell you what....just tell them to give you your old basket and take it back home with you. I'll loan you the tools you need to change it and give you instructions with pictures. You will be amazed what they tried to pull on you.

3 HOURS!!!!! :Bunny2::Bunny2:

I AGREE... I've had these clutches apart enuf times to know that one hour max is all that's necessary by anyone with any knowledge and ability to hold a wrench in their hand.

For a dealer's trained and seasoned mechanic with all the right tools...they should be able to do that in 1/2 hour or less.

Thanks for the info FreezyRider. That is what I thought.. that it was a less than hour job. They said that there were a lot of things that they had to tear down before they actually get at the clutch basket.

Oh... and I can't actually do what you suggest and take the old basket home. That is not how it works (at least up here in the great white north). They keep the basket. They have to return it within 30 days, so I would have up to that time to decide if I wanted to pay the $300 to put the old one back in.

Thanks for the info FreezyRider. That is what I thought.. that it was a less than hour job. They said that there were a lot of things that they had to tear down before they actually get at the clutch basket.

Oh... and I can't actually do what you suggest and take the old basket home. That is not how it works (at least up here in the great white north). They keep the basket. They have to return it within 30 days, so I would have up to that time to decide if I wanted to pay the $300 to put the old one back in.

Well then, give them these instructions since they evidently don't know the efficient method of removal/reinstallation:

1. Remove the basket cover. Nothing else needs to be removed. Do not drain oil, just let teh bike lean on it's kickstand. All bolts can be removed using a ball-end allen wrench.

2. Remove the 6 bolts holding the clutch spring in place. Remove said spring.

3. Pull out the small tension shaft (can't remember its proper name) and ball from end of clutch shaft.

4. Slide off clutch friction disks and steel disks.

5. Remove nut holding clutch boss and basket in place (use 30mm socket).

6. Slide off clutch boss.

7. Slide off clutch basket.

Reassemble in reverse order. Torque nut to 50 ft/lbs.

How can that be 3 hours??

It really fries me when dealers try to do this.

What is the cost of this silly basket anyway??

If you've done a clutch upgrade yourself, I can't see doing the basket being that much more difficult and certainly not 3 hours for an experienced mech.. might take you and ME 3 hours cause we're morons who don't know nuttin about bikes ourselves ya know?

I've heard some people say a basket change may well quell some of the WHINE down.. if it isn't too expensive I may opt doing it myself..

SilvrT... how do you talk to the rep?

Rep for prairies will NOT talk, email, phone, text, look/smile at, any customer on any issue. I think they visit the local dealer in the dark of night only.

Protocol is...

START HERE> go the dealer > dealer attempts to repair > if problem not resolved > repeat go to dealer once more > if problem not resolved > call Yamaha Canada > Yamaha Canada says contact dealer > Dealer says done everything they can > Contact Yamaha Canada > they say go to dealer > repeat as many times as necessary > until you get "Contact Consumer Protection Dept and get a Lawyer"... from Yamaha Canada > STOP in absolute shock > :hurts: try dealer again...or??

Ypu forgot: Jump up an down on the service managers desk until you get satisfaction from him....

Most of you know that I have been through 5 or 6 baskets.

even had a second (I) put in just to make sure. this was

ALL at the dealers cost..

TRUST ME.... The (I) will be better then any other basket

that was produced for our bikes. I will say (NO) it will

not remove the (sound) but will place them in a better

range for you to tolerate. Now this is JUST MY Opinion!

Good luck :fingers-crossed-emoand let us know how all this turns out for you!

PS-- Motorkote for me has been wonderful !!!

Feel free to call me if you have any Questions

OR Get FreezyRider's stuff and call him! Great guy!

Jeff

Most of you know that I have been through 5 or 6 baskets.

even had a second (I) put in just to make sure. this was

ALL at the dealers cost..

TRUST ME.... The (I) will be better then any other basket

that was produced for our bikes. I will say (NO) it will

not remove the (sound) but will place them in a better

range for you to tolerate. Now this is JUST MY Opinion!

Good luck :fingers-crossed-emoand let us know how all this turns out for you!

PS-- Motorkote for me has been wonderful !!!

Feel free to call me if you have any Questions

OR Get FreezyRider's stuff and call him! Great guy!

Jeff

How MUCH was the basket.. why do they refer to it as an "I" basket?

MotorKote, again a lot of mixed reviews.. great on the engines but when you tear down the engines a few later, some claim the damage can be seen.. mostly meant for high performance bikes that get engine tear downs on a regular basis.. But what do I know.. The info out there is so convoluted..

I still think an oil or product should be able to stand on it's own without 'super additives' .. I say this as I pour some SeaFoam in my gas tank of course..

I still think an oil or product should be able to stand on it's own without 'super additives' .. I say this as I pour some SeaFoam in my gas tank of course..

Oils are designed to do certain things and are only required to do those things. Additives are designed to do other things the oils are not. Same as Seafoam in gas. But of course, you already know that but imagine the cost and complexity of an oil that "does it all"...if that would even be possible.

How MUCH was the basket.. why do they refer to it as an "I" basket?

MotorKote, again a lot of mixed reviews.. great on the engines but when you tear down the engines a few later, some claim the damage can be seen.. mostly meant for high performance bikes that get engine tear downs on a regular basis.. But what do I know.. The info out there is so convoluted..

Care to share where you got that info? I haven't seen it.

Care to share where you got that info? I haven't seen it.

I'd have to go redo a whole google thing on it.. I had heard about motorkote and did some searching on it, not just about the good stuff about it, but also any negatives.. You know how everything is all about hype this and hype that, just cause one person says it's super super great doesn't mean it really is.. remember the 87 vs 93 octane gas to mileage arguments? Anyway.. I did come across other consumer reports / reviews that mentioned the bad about motorkote.. How reliable are those reports, No idea.. how reliable are the positive reviews, again no idea.. Just cause the people who make it say it's awesome, doesn't really mean it is..

Do a google on motorkote, you'll find some cautionary tales about it.. the good and the bad reviews.. Just like you would find some on any product..

Like I said, what do *I* know. I just reported to what I remember reading late one insomninatic night ;)

ouch, $230 a pop to perhaps find out it doesn't change a thing on my bike.. expensive yoikes..

Thanks for the info lads..

$230 would be a bargain. Cheapest I found it was from partshark.com and it was $265 shipped.

Funny thing is, if you go to any online parts fiche and lookup the price on the standard clutch basket those are about $170.

Can you say RIPOFF?

$230 would be a bargain. Cheapest i found it was from partshark.com and it was $265 shipped.

Funny thing is, if you go to any online parts fiche and lookup the price on the standard clutch basket those are about $170.

Can you say ripoff?

rrrrrr iiiiiii pppppppppp offffffffffff

I would like to know how you guys are even FINDING the I basket. It was reported long ago that Yamaha was not selling the basket and it could only be obtained through the regional reps. When I do a search for it at Partshark or anywhere else, all I see listed is the H baskets.