IGNORED

Check your valve stems

snarf

Front tire went down 65mph two up.Slide about 200' both of us stayed with the bike until we hit shoulder.Minor scrapes & bumps totaled 07 venture. Tire had 3000 miles on it new valve stem when tire was changed.No hole in tire valve stem rubber cracked.Never thought bad valve stem but i will now.And yes i do check my tires before every ride.

I had the same thing happen to me last year at the Gettysburg Pa Meet & Eat. Heading back home on route 15 just after Frederick Md, 65 MPH two up and the front valve stem goes out. Luckly enough I was able to stop the bike safely on the sholder. I ordered some Yamaha racing valvestems off the internet. The are the angled kind but are made of all medal and have a 10 year guarentee.

Mine had a chrome angled stem but the but right outside and inside the rim it was rubber. That is what had the cracks in it. I didn't hear it but the people behind me said they heard a loud bang and then the tire went flat. The new stems I put on are like the ones you described and have the nut on the inside of the rim.

I had the exact same thing happen a year ago to the front tire - it was a new right angle stem - rubber base with the chrome angle. The base "cracked". We tried to "seal" it, it didn't work as it blew a second time within 1/4 mile. Have made very sure that the new angle is solid metal.

A friend had a high quality metal valve stem break on him a couple years ago on his car. It got hit by something on the road he thinks, or was mishandled by a tire changer.

Do NOT rely on all metal stems (with rubber gaskets) to be a cure-all for damage that might get done at any time. Do the inspection.

Mine was really strange, the valvestem stayed in the rim, but because of it leaking due to being cracked all tire pressure was lost. When I stopped we pumped the tire back up with one of those small portable air pumps to about 30 pounds before the accessory plug fuse blew. We checked the tire all the way around and couldn't find a thing. That's when we poured some water around the bead and then the valvestem. The tire bead was fine but bubbles were coming from around the valvestem. My bike was one year old, a 07 RSV when I bought it and it had Avons on it that looked brand new, so I would assume the valvestem wasn't very old either. I just think those tall angled valvestems are junk.

Front tire went down 65mph two up.Slide about 200' both of us stayed with the bike until we hit shoulder.Minor scrapes & bumps totaled 07 venture. Tire had 3000 miles on it new valve stem when tire was changed.No hole in tire valve stem rubber cracked.Never thought bad valve stem but i will now.And yes i do check my tires before every ride.

Hope you heal quick:thumbsup2: sorry to hear about the bike though:crying: blue/black are the pretty ones :clap2: ask me how I know:whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to know that both of you are ok. Get healed soon and hope you can get a replacement ride in the near future.

I also have an '07 and regularly check my tire pressure. This time, I may pay closer attention to the valve stems as well. My rear tire may have 2K miles left, so I am debating whether to keep the old valve stem or have them replace it with a new one. Not sure what the standard procedure is for tire changes ... unless if we ask for the valve stem to be replaced.