IGNORED

Adjusting rear shock

Motorcycle Mike

Hi. I'm a proud owner of a new 09 RSV. Just bought it Friday.

The owners manual has an obvious miss print. It say's the low setting is 0 psi, Mid is 0 psi and high is 7 psi.

After taking the wife for a ride today, I know I need to bump the pressure up some what.

The owners manual is no help and I found nothing in a search. Can someone please give the the minimum and maximum pressure for the rear shock. TIA

MIKE

It varies for everybody depending upon rider and passenger weight and etc. but I would start at around 35 lbs. and see how that works out. I think the maximum is 57 pounds but that is just from memory and I may be wrong. Front is fine at 0 but 7 lbs. is max. Don't try using a airhose from a compressor for either one. They are very low volume and you can easily blow the seals. Most of us use a hand pump from Progressive Suspension.

Congrats on your new RSV and Welcome to the forum.

I pump my shock at 35 riding solo. For 2 up, I only add another 5 psi and it feels just fine for us. +1 on a bike pump and that is what I use for the rear shock and the pump has a built-in pressure gauge. Two small pumps makes a big difference on the pressure in the shock, so be careful. As for my front forks, I just keep them at 0 psi.

Ride safe.

I use my compressor but set my regular to the desired PSI I'm looking for. 45psi for both of us, a little stiff but bottoming out on big bumps is not good for the wife. :backinmyday: I have 3 to 5 psi in the front, if not a hard stop my change your mind. When I tow the camper they go up a little.

Edited by gator06

It say's the low setting is 0 psi, Mid is 0 psi and high is 7 psi.

You may want to re-read the manual.

IIRC 0-7 PSI is for the forks and 0-50 is for the rear shock.

If you put air in the forks, make sure you put the SAME pressure in both of them.

Personally, I run 0 PSI in the forks and 50 PSI in the rear shock.