IGNORED

Garmin nüvi 765T GPS

KiteSquid

I just did some poking around the Internet, and it looks like Google Maps will only download points, not routes, directly to a Garmin GPS, but is possible with RouteConverter which is a third party software, which I do not wish to install on my PC.

Mapquest will directly download routes with multiple way-points in to a Garmin GPS as long as Garmin Communicator Plugin software from Garmin is installed on the PC.

I will start using Mapquest for my routing needs...................

I did some searching and found free software called TYRE (stands for Trace Your Own Route) that you can download here.

Even though they talk mostly about using it with a TomTom, it also works with Garmin units. They use Google Maps or Google Earth as the "plotting" software, it runs inside the TYRE program. It is amazing....enter your waypoints and have it calc your route. And you can even select "motorbike" as the vehicle to route for. When all done you export it to your Garmin or TomTom and then, in the case of the Garmin 700+ units, you import the route. All the waypoints come in and your route is complete. It also activates the tracking feature so your route will be saved once you run it.

Pretty cool stuff. Haven't actually run a route with it, but have played with constructing routes. Looks like a winner.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION

Do a Google search about sales-digital. There are all kinds of ripoff reports and etc. There are a number of these scams going on right now. Great looking websites that appear completely legit but are NOT. Just the latest way to rip people off.

Had my 765T for a couple weeks now and we used it on a long cage trip to Detroit (800+ miles). It is useless to find things like gas/restaurants in a metro area. You try to call up a list, and every time you go by an exit, it recalculates and you have to start over at the first screen, and it also calls up stuff you have gone by, so getting to something in front of you is frustrating! You have to stop to locate anything (this all assumes you have a second person to run the thing, I would not try to find stuff on all these screens while driving!).

Also, the maps don't show town names, and it is hard to get it to show route numbers, just street names!

The requirement to go "back" through every screen to get back to the map is also maddening.

I am sure this is a good GPS, and every brand has its problems from what I see, but for me, a paper map is still much better, and much safer. I may eventually get used to this thing but I may toss it out the window first!

Got my power cord (hard wired) and mounts from the Mount guys (just google the name).

NOTE: I am pretty sure if you use the hard wired cable, you lose the Traffic feature because that FM receiver is in the cig. lighter power cord, but then the traffic was so behind on our trip to Detroit and going through Chicago twice, it isn't much use. My son's cell phone had accurate traffic info every time, but my GPS was useless for that.

I guess I am just not a fan of GPS. In a big metro area with turns every few hundred feet the thing hardly keeps up and you can easily miss a turn. Plus when I get where I am going (and it does that pretty good) I still have no idea where I am because I can't see a big enough map to place myself in space like with an atlas or paper map.

So I will still carry both on important trips, and keep my "analog GPS" (paper map on a special folder so i can operate it with one hand) on my bike tank cover.

The NUVI's have a zoom in zoom out feature you can use to see the surrounding area and Name of the city if I am not mistaken. Haven't used my 780 much as its int he car and only 3 weeks old but I know I zoomed in and out on it. Never had a problem with turns or passing turns.

JB

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION

Do a Google search about sales-digital. There are all kinds of ripoff reports and etc. There are a number of these scams going on right now. Great looking websites that appear completely legit but are NOT. Just the latest way to rip people off.

Glad you caught that Don ... I got an email from my wife's daughter promoting the site .... kinda thought at first it was a bit odd ... shoulda followed my instinct.

Check this out... http://whois.domaintools.com/sales-digital.com

Her email account has likely been hacked. Better tell her to check it and change her password. A lot of hotmail, gmail and etc. accounts have been hacked for the very purpose of promoting these bogus websites. I got one from somebody a few days ago and I KNOW that person did not actually send it on purpose.

Her email account has likely been hacked. Better tell her to check it and change her password. A lot of hotmail, gmail and etc. accounts have been hacked for the very purpose of promoting these bogus websites. I got one from somebody a few days ago and I KNOW that person did not actually send it on purpose.

Already done :thumbsup2:

• 4 weeks later...

You can do the main functions with gloves on, but even sitting at my desk it is hard to input addresses and cities on the small "buttons" on the touch sensitive screen. so plan on doing that carefully, I have gone to using a pencil eraser or a blunt end of a pen. Just don't push real hard with any hard objects!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a friendly warning for everyone useing a GPS on your bike.

Use a teather strap to secure the GPS to the bike just in case it falls off during a ride, with the tie, it won't go far... lol

It happend to me a couple years back, 110 km/h the GPS (Garmin C550) let go just when I was accelerating on the on ramp. It hit the hyway, bounced several times with a near miss of a tractor trailer wheel. Luckily, I didn't loose control or I would of been under the tire. These things are well made, it still worked other then a few scatches.

Just my 2 cents worth. :yikes: