IGNORED

I rode my first Trike yesterday....

craigatcsi

I have bad hips, so my Venture is getting pretty tough, especially at intersections 2up. So, I have been thinking of going the trike way.

I rode my first Trike yesterday, finally, after looking at them and asking about them for a year or so. First off, I stopped at one of the local HD dealers to look at their 'from the factory' trikes - they didn't have one. The salesman told me they sell them as fast as they come in.

So, I went to a local shop that sells & installs several Trike kits. The guy was wonderfully helpful! He let me test drive one and said to take it for a half hour or so. 'Enjoy yourself'. So, my wife & I climbed on and took it down the street heading for the Interstate. - I didn't get that far. I just didn't feel very stable with the steering. My wife said that she felt like she was being thrown side to side. It was me trying to get used to the handling - NO Leaning and turning with the handlebars. The trike rode wonderful and I'm sure that one gets used to the handling, but for the 15 minutes I was on it, I didn't care for it. I only got the trike up to about 45ish, I didn't feel comfortable enough to go faster.

So, I told the guy thanks for his time and letting me try one, but I will wait until I absolutely HAVE to have to either give up riding or get a trike. The guy said he understood, but assured me that if I took the bike for a longer ride, I would get comfortable with it.

I just don't think I am ready to give up on my leaning yet.

It's just my opinion, I am in no way meaning to bash trikes. They just aren't for me, (yet).

craigr

I thought I had to have a trike 6 or so years ago and did have 2 GoldWing trikes. I enjoyed them but never fell in love with them. I had my total knee replacement last March 3rd and the previous September I bought my '07' Venture.

I had forgotten how much fun the twisties are on two wheels and am really glad I got the Venture. If I should have a setback of some kind and have to go to a trike, I know now what I would prefer in a trike. Don't let anybody tell you they're all the same, 'cause they're NOT

craigr,

I tried the same thing several years ago when both my hips were pretty bad, could not swing a leg over a saddle, but could get on a trike. Went about 1/2 a mile and turned around, it was like driving a car, but just a bit more open.

A couple years later, I got two new hips, and a couple years after that I got the courage to buy a used "86 VR which I have now put on over 13,000 miles in the last 3 years, and love it. No pain, no problem holding the bike up, can swing a leg over to get on easily.

I may have a trike someday, but not right now.

If you can get insurance to put in a new hip (or two), you won't regret it.

My Dr. told me not to ride, because broken bones are bad, but with all that metal inside, it can get real bad in an accident. But I decided to go for it, and am loving every mile. Life is a risk, no matter what so I will be as careful as I can and enjoy.

I put the sidecar on my 2005 2 years ago because of my bad hip and knees, It takes awhile to get use to the way it handles A couple thousand miles to really feel good with it.

Since I got my 2001 RSV a month ago I really enjoy riding a 2 up bike again. My hip and rt. knee have been replaced and there is no more pain in riding anymore. I plan on keeping both bikes because taking the sidecar on trips is great and if your running the interstate its hard to beat it. Then again on the mtn. twisties the 2 up is the best.

One thing about the sidecar rig is that it gets attention everywhere I go and I can carry 2 women at once :)

There's a new touring version of the Can-Am Spyder ...

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40580]The new Touring Spyder - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

That's what I'll be looking at if/when I ever decide I can't ride on 2 wheels anymore.

That new Spyder is somewhat cool looking - with the matching trailer. Checked out the pricing - $20,999 for the "bike" and $3,999.00 for the trailer. A buddy of mine sent me a picture of the Chevron cars - or the cars in the Cartoon Cars - that Spyder kind of looks similar - heehee. I'm not sure I could ever "get used to" a Spyder, where I think I could get "used to" a traditional trike.

I'm a custom painter, signguy, & pinstriper by trade.

I have a local customer, who has become a very good friend, that I've pinstriped his last 3 GoldWings...the last one being a trike.

When he dropped it off at my shop for more work, he told me to take my wife out on it for the afternoon, and told me that we'd NEVER look back.

After about only 5 miles...we already went back to the shop alright...and indeed, we did NOT look back at IT again! YUK!!!

What was the brand of the Trike Kit, and on which brand of Bike? Owen.

The Bike was a HD & the Kit was a Hannigan, if I remember right.

He did say that he thinks the Goldwing handles & rides better and even offered to let us take it out. But I was so turned off by the HD, I declined.

If / when I HAVE to, I'm sure I will return to his place and take him up on the offer to take the Goldwing for a ride. If I don't like it either, I guess I'll go buy an old CJ-7 and take the doors & top off. :)

craigr

My advise would be, don't get a trike unless your ready. I love my trike. I had to go that way because of my back and legs. I too can't swing my leg over the saddle. I have to get on like a horse. Step my foot on the passengers foot rest and then bring my leg over.

I have a Hannigan on my 04, and you do have to take some time to get use to it. I didn't think I would like it when I first rode it. Boy, it sure was different. But I had a friend that had a Goldwing trike and told me to just wait. Glad I did. I had a 4.5 rake on the front and put Barons risers (1 1/2 inch) that helped the steering. While at the Tail of the Dragon this year I didn't let the 2 wheelers get away from me.

I have had the bike triked for a year now and I like it more every time I get on it. I wont go back to 2 wheels because of my medical condition. Do I miss 2 wheels - you bet. But I still love riding, and I love my trike.

When your ready - your ready.

Ken