IGNORED

More windshield questions

seabeetom

I know, this has probably been addressed on one or more of these umpteen thousand threads, but I've been reading posts here for the last 7 hours and figured I'd just come out and ask...

There is apparently three(?) methods to measure your windshield. #1. The Clearview way (from dip in front of gas cap vertical). #2. From bottom edge of windshield to top edge. #3. from top edge of chrome strip to top edge of windshield(mounted). Now this has become confusing to me when I read all the posts about personal preferences in windshield heights and retailer descriptions of product.

What my 08 RSV came with measures 22" (#1. above), 17" (#3. above). I don't have a measurement for #2. above since the shield is still mounted. So,,,, is this a 'stock' windshield?

My intention is to procure a shorter windshield to be able to see over the top when needed. In which case the msrmnts would be; 18" (#1. above) or 11" (#3. above). Of course that's solo, when two-up the line of site thru the shield drops about an inch or so.

Am considering the Showchrome 13", is that 13" #1,2,or 3 method??

Where does "4 inches shorter than stock" fit in here?

It sure would be nice if there was only ([{ 1 )]} standard used.

Can ya help a brother out, huh, can ya? ;-)

I think you have way too much angles in there. Best bet is to mark off your stock shield using blue masking tape and see which height appeals to you. I have the clearview xxl on mine and its just about stock size. Clearviews shield angles a few inches back at the top over the stock shield, which is more upright. Mostly, the height is determined by your height while seated and what your comfy with. Id venture to guess that anything below 18" will put you over the top of the shield, unless your a pigmy dwarf......:rotf:

You can always cut your stock windshield down, I just cut my Stock 23 inch windshield down on my V Star 1300 and its now perfect, Its not hard just have to be very careful when cutting it with a jigsaw. I sure the process is posted here somewhere. Here is a youtube video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQj05Db-C3c]YouTube - How We Cut Down a Bike Windshield[/ame]

Edited by DragonRider

Am considering the Showchrome 13", is that 13" #1,2,or 3 method??

Could you not ask the folks at Showchrome which method they use for that measurement?

As for myself, I cut my own down. Basically, I sat on the seat as tho I was riding and fixated at a point on the w/s where I figgured I wanted it and marked a dot. I then made a template from a filefolder to get the angles. Dropped that down to the dot I marked and drew a line from the template. (a bit more involved than just that but...follow that video) The trick was to not cut it too low the first time...then, if it's still too high, ya can do it over.

I cut my windsheild down too. I covered the sheild with blue tape. I mesured down from the top center of the windsheild 5". Your choice on how much you cut off. I made the first cut (5" down from center) straight across. I then used the pice I cut as a template for the next cut to get the curve of the windsheild correct. Then, just sand the edges with 150 grit sandpaper to smooth out. Use a sanding block. I used a jig saw with a fine blade. It came out perfect. People think It's factory. It's really easy!!! Give it a try. If you screw it up(but you won't), you were going to buy another windsheild anyway. And the best part is it won't cost you anything but a little time. Made all the differance in the world to me. I am 5'9" and 5" lets me see over the windsheild without a lot of wind hitting my face. Good luck and have fun.

Dennis:12101:

Hey Tom,

My bike has the Clearview and measuring their way it's 19.5". But the way I sit with the backrest I'm looking directly across or maybe .5" below the top. I need about 2" off of it as I like to look over the top.

If you haven't done anything by the M&E next month, feel free to sit on my bike and check it out for height. From what I remember of your height it may be just right for you. Nothing like seeing what it's like on the bike.

:happy34:

To give you an idea of the Clearview sizes, I am 6 ft, 1/2 inch tall and have the Clearview Large on my RSV. I can just see over it by about an inch or so. Ideally I would get about a half inch shorter but it is still much better than the stock shield in the rain. I can just feel the wind on the very top of my helmet.

To give you an idea of the Clearview sizes, I am 6 ft, 1/2 inch tall and have the Clearview Large on my RSV. I can just see over it by about an inch or so. Ideally I would get about a half inch shorter but it is still much better than the stock shield in the rain. I can just feel the wind on the very top of my helmet.

Just a thought comes to mind... a person's overall height is not necessarilly an accurate "gauge" but rather, their torso height... the height from the bottom of their butt to the top of their head when sitting would be a better comparative method because many folks of the same height will have differing leg and torso lengths and that's what is more applicable for this purpose.

Just a thought comes to mind... a person's overall height is not necessarilly an accurate "gauge" but rather, their torso height... the height from the bottom of their butt to the top of their head when sitting would be a better comparative method because many folks of the same height will have differing leg and torso lengths and that's what is more applicable for this purpose.

My case exactly. That's one of the reasons some posts are so confusing...

ie; "I'm 6'1" and can see over the top of an 18" shield". OK, 18", what measurement parameter is being used (refer to original post). What the distance from buttbone to eyeballbone is will make a difference.