IGNORED

Exhaust rumble/backfire?

At what point is a deceleration rumble called a backfire. When riding in the GA mountains, I had one or two definite (loud) backfires, but in normal riding the low rumble sounds like little backfires (good sound). Is the rumble I'm describing normal? If I hadn't had those loud backfires, I wouldn't even ask. The bike has 3000 miles and I've asked them to check the carb sync once since the first service (of course they said all was good). Any comments appreciated! :icon_smile_question

IF its a dealer telling you that on the carb sync...Good Luck..First thing which you probably have done is make sure the choke knob is pushed in all the way,Second if it is, Post for one of our members in your area asking if they have a carb sync tool,then it will happen..A little ice cream,some cases , a beer gets a lot of help on here! Tom

Yes, I know about the carb choke. First time I didn't push it all the way in after a run, I almost couldn't get the bike to start after stopping several times. Thought I had some serious trouble until I did finally realize that it wasn't in all the way. So the rumble isn't normal when decelerating? Anyone live in the SE Alabama area that could carb sync my bike? The service manager said it was a no-brainer for one of his "techs", but I think it was the same time that they overfilled my oil after servicing it. Thanks for any help!

At what point is a deceleration rumble called a backfire. When riding in the GA mountains, I had one or two definite (loud) backfires, but in normal riding the low rumble sounds like little backfires (good sound). Is the rumble I'm describing normal? If I hadn't had those loud backfires, I wouldn't even ask. The bike has 3000 miles and I've asked them to check the carb sync once since the first service (of course they said all was good). Any comments appreciated! :icon_smile_question

I had a situation one night when I went out for a ride and one cylinder started missing and backfiring a lot. I could also smell gas occasionally. A few ounces of Sea Foam in the gas tank cured the problem. I suspect it was a sticky needle valve in one carb. Wouldn't hurt to give this a try first then double check the carb sync (buy your own - it is a relatively simple procedure described elsewhere on this forum) if the problem persists.

Just come up to Rome GA, on Sept 12, we will carb sync your bike. :)

I just ordered the Morgan carbtune (seems the exchange rate is favorable). I'm definitely not a mechanic, but I do follow instructions pretty well. I seriously looked at the Rome meet before your offer, but its about 4 hours from Dothan. Still might consider the trip with your generous offer of help. It would be great to actually see the sync before trying it on my own.

We are going down to Apalachicola on the 15th for 6 days so don't know yet if I can squeeze it in. I know the meal is at Fuddrucker's (sure hope I spelled that right :D)-would it be better to be early for the sync or would it be after the meal meet? Thanks again for the invite!

Still trying to find out if some rumble on deceleration is normal. Service manager just said mine sounds normal-seems like he's said that about every question I've ever asked. I did get a little more attention when I asked for the regional rep's name-he said they don't really have one anymore. It really is beginning to feel that smoke is blowing up my a*s. Is some rumble normal? Thanks again!

Still trying to find out if some rumble on deceleration is normal. Service manager just said mine sounds normal-seems like he's said that about every question I've ever asked. I did get a little more attention when I asked for the regional rep's name-he said they don't really have one anymore. It really is beginning to feel that smoke is blowing up my a*s. Is some rumble normal? Thanks again!

most of the repair shops and stealerships only see a venture once a year, and don't have anyone that knows how to work on more than 1 or 2 carbs at a time, let alone a set of 4

to answer the above dodged question... rumble good......pop/backfire not good,

yes its true that it most likely wont hurt anything to let it go, the pop still doesn't belong there.

If everything is adjusted properly and exhaust leaks are cured, the bike wont pop or backfire.

many members have plugged the thermactor valves of the ais system, and that can be found in the 2nd gen vr tech section, and in most cases will cure all of the above concerns, however it will affect your ability to pass some smog inspections, and offend some tree huggers...oops i mean green friendly folks, so i will not confess to the fact that i have performed this modification to my pop free 70,000+ mile machine the same day that i took it out of the crate, the same way i did the last 3 ventures i have had.

mike.

For those of us that are apparently more computer challenged than we realize....like me.

Could someone post a link to the Thermactor valve plugging of the ais system.

I have looked and looked and.....well, I wont get into calling myself names.:crying:

Here is the article. It is in the TEch section under engines. Plugging the AIS will not affect your bike.... but if you are ever in CA you will not meet State EPA guidelines. And the tree huggers won't like you if you tell them. Its a Don't tell Don't ask type change. LOL

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=485]Plugging the AIS - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Here is the article. It is in the TEch section under engines. Plugging the AIS will not affect your bike.... but if you are ever in CA you will not meet State EPA guidelines. And the tree huggers won't like you if you tell them. Its a Don't tell Don't ask type change. LOL

Plugging the AIS - VentureRider.Org

Much appreciated! I'll avoid California:337:

I did do the modification today and was absolutely amazed to hear absolutely no rumble or backfire...what a delight after spending a small fortune at the dealers trying (unsuccessfully) to get the problem resolved.

I can't thank the poster enough for the visual aids and step by step instrctions.

Fantastic info and really great to ride today!!:337:

• 3 weeks later...

check the screws thar hold the pipe on mine came lose and made a louder pop...tighiten them smoother po,,tri it

• 1 month later...

My 02 Venture backfired at deceleration right off the showroom floor. I just thought this was normal until I started reading that it was not. I had a carb sync set and when I hooked it up I saw right away how far out of sync the carbs were. I could not believe it since it was a new bike. Once the carbs were in sync the backfire went away completely. When I say backfire I mean it sounded like a gun going off. Now regarding the rumble, I did not really notice a rumble until I recently made a modification to my pipes. Now that the bike has more of a deep tone I do notice a nice rumble at deceleration kind of like a nice V8 winding down.

• 3 months later...