IGNORED

Avon - Operator error

hillrider

In preperation for a ride up the Blue Ridge Parkway I checked the tires. Front tread OK pressure OK. Rear - tread OK (not great, but OK) pressure a little high. 48lbs.

End result - the guy behind me was looking for the man with an elephant gun. Blowout at 50 mph. Cord showing in three places and 2\32 tread inbetween. Bike was loaded but didn't feel any out of balance bounce.

Tire had 4500 miles on it. DO NOT overinflate Avons.

This is the 1st time I have heard of an Avon failing, I have run them religiously in the past. On all the Avons I have owned the sidewall pressure is 50 lbs, I'd hate to think what he had in it that would make your statement of overinflation ring true

:yikes: (Not that it isn't)

The one I'm running on the back now is 42 sidewall pressure.

Was just in Texas at V7Gooses' place. He was saying that he likes the Dunlop E3 but likes the Avon better save for 1 thing. When an Avon gets down to the wear marks you've only got about 300 or 400 miles, or less, left before cords start to show. There is NO extra rubber on an Avon when they get low. He showed us examples of some of his.

If your rear tire was an H rated tire (80H), which it should have been, then 48 is not over inflated - the max pressure for those tires is 50 psi. If you had the V rated tire with a lower load rating (74V), then the max pressure for that tire is 42. The V rated tires will wear out MUCH faster than the H rated tires.

If you were into the cord with good tread on other places on the same tire, then it was probably grossly out of balance.

Glad you didn't get hurt.

Goose

I'm doing a Brickstone front, Kendra rear combo now. Liking the Kendra but not sure of that bridgestone. Heard too many stories about it but it feels OK. I'm not pushing the bike thru turns like I used to. Maybe it is Ok at slower speeds? Or was slower speeds where Bridgestones were bad? Dunlop II's always done good. Just that I don't get milage out of any tire. Right hand has twitch. If I were ever to go to a 2nd Gen i would have to look close at the E III's.Gotta get some coffee not even making sense to myself this morning!!

Have we decided which tire is better for these big machines?

Before moving up to a 2nd Gen, I never worried about my tires....:confused24:

I can't say enough good things about my Michellin Commanders. I have around 8,000 miles on my set so far and they are wearing very well. I went to them after my OEMs wore out. Excellent handling improvement and outstanding control in the rain.

I just put my 2nd set of Avons on, the 1st set had 17K on them, the rear tire still had 1/8" tread and the front was still in great shape. I swapped them both out and the ride is so much nicer on new Avons. My back tire was cupped, but I think it was from running so long on a bad shock. Avons still get my vote:thumbsup: Craig

Hey VGoose,

Can you look on the avon and tell if it is a V rated or H rated. I am on my third set of avons and I always run 48 psi in the rear tire.

Sorry for the delay in the response - spent the last week on a houseboat in the middle of a big lake - no computer.

The weightand speed rating are right on the sidewall with the tire size - either 74V or 80H. The lower weight rating will also have a lower max tire pressure, also printed right on the sidewall.

Goose