IGNORED

Yet another rear shock air question

wrongway2

After trying all searches I haven't come across an answer to my question so here goes.

Since buying my 06 RSTD I've been running it with no air in the rear shock. We've ridden 2-up quite a bit on different roads and haven't bottomed out. The biggest advantage in running with 0 psi for me is that the bike is lower so my short little legs allow me to reach the ground easier.

My biggest concern is that everybody seems to be running more than 20 lbs in the rear shock.

I just re-read the manual which states:

SPRING RATE:

Minimum (soft): 0 psi

Standard: 0 psi

Maximum (hard): up to a max of 57 psi

Does anybody run 0 psi in the rear???

Is there a negative other than bottoming out if running 0 psi???

Thanks

Greg

One thing to consider is these shocks tend to loose there fluid FAST,If you are running 0 air its gonna drop to the ground.Loose control ETC. Thats a major concern also if you loose the oil in shock and keep running just air..IF the air bladder fails,you are a goner.I KNOW, some here are running that waybut if you are drop all air out and you will see the bike hit the ground!

There is nothing dire going to happen if you run 0 lbs in the rear and the shock looses oil. The suspension won't collapse. It's just going to give you that bouncy ride and if you bottom it out you will just hear a clunk. The ride quality won't be great but that's about it. I rode around with mine like that for 2 months, waiting for the new shock to come from Japan. It must have come by container ship because it sure did take a long time. Most of the time I had zero pounds in the rear anyway and that was with the wife on the back. You should be just fine. They are not going to recommend zero lbs in the manual and not have researched it pretty well. Yamaha always covers their butt whenever they put something in print.

I have not found that putting air in the rear shock changes the seat height. Being 5' 6" with 28" inseam I would notice. It feels the same whether it has 0 lb or 25 lbs which is what I have been running this year. My understanding of adding air is to change the dampening rate of the shock not the seat height. There is no dramatic difference in ride feel to me with or without air. I will admit when riding 2 up we only add up to 300 lbs total, so it is not running max load. Yes my shock failed last fall and was replaced under warranty. There was no change in ride feel but made lots of crunching sounds especially when cold. Last year I ran the air at 35 lbs before the shock failed. You must be sure to use the proper tool for adding air if you decide to try some air otherwise you will damage the shock. :080402gudl_prv:

My rear shock lost all air and oil 3 years ago.I continued riding the bike for 1 year with the bad shock.I now have a sidecar on the bike for 2 years now and I have never had the bike to "bottom out".3 years now with the bad shock and no complaints.On the other hand my 86 will bottom out on the front all the time.

After trying all searches I haven't come across an answer to my question so here goes.

Since buying my 06 RSTD I've been running it with no air in the rear shock. We've ridden 2-up quite a bit on different roads and haven't bottomed out. The biggest advantage in running with 0 psi for me is that the bike is lower so my short little legs allow me to reach the ground easier.

My biggest concern is that everybody seems to be running more than 20 lbs in the rear shock.

I just re-read the manual which states:

SPRING RATE:

Minimum (soft): 0 psi

Standard: 0 psi

Maximum (hard): up to a max of 57 psi

Does anybody run 0 psi in the rear???

Is there a negative other than bottoming out if running 0 psi???

Thanks

Greg

I am 5'5" I run my rear shock with no air, and it doesnt bottom out 2 up. My original shock lost all oil and I ran it with no air till it was replaced 2-3 months, as was stated the ride isnt the best but you can ride it just fine. Adding air to the shock definetly raises the rear end, but its easy to let it back out if you dont like it. To answer your question yep I ride that way. :big-grin-emoticon: Craig

I run 0 in the rear, and 2 lbs in the frount, but I have stated I think the venture is a great handling machine, granted if you are sitting still with the handle bars turned all the way left the bike becomes unstable, this is where most drop the venture.

Handlebars hard left while stopped with left foot not completely firm on the ground, equals VENTURE down.

for those who have dropped one think about the position you in when you dropped, how many ever dropped on to the right side.

Thanks for all the replies folks. All the input is very much appreciated.

I added 10 lbs today and will try it there to see if I even notice a difference.

The baron's lowing kit is definately a possibility as well but we'll see.

It's good to know that others are running the rear with 0 air though because I hadn't read of anybody doing this despite what the manual says.

thanks again

Greg

Guest scarylarry

Where is a good place to buy a pump for these..

And can u use a air compresser with the air cut down to say around 5 lbs. on the outlet end?

DO NOT use a compressor to put air in the rear shock -- you will blow the seal.

The Progressive Suspension Mini Gauge Pump does the job well, stows away nicely in the saddlebag and even has a built-in bleeder valve and a no-leak connector that allows you to disconnect the pump from the shock without loosing any air pressure.

On sale for $39.96 at DollarRider.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/image_5364b.jpg

Edited by SteveP
Added link

Guest scarylarry
DO NOT use a compressor to put air in the rear shock -- you will blow the seal.

The Progressive Suspension Mini Gauge Pump does the job well, stows away nicely in the saddlebag and even has a built-in bleeder valve and a no-leak connector that allows you to disconnect the pump from the shock without loosing any air pressure.

On sale for $39.96 at DollarRider.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/image_5364b.jpg

Thanks I will order one from them