IGNORED

What do you recommend?

Blackjack

If you have a Harbor freight store in your area,get one from there around $4.99-$6.99 mine is yellow in color.I been using it for my Venture plus I keep it in the tool kit on trips.Works great and does the same service as the high dollar ones.

buddy

Exactly!! Unless you are exceptionally clumsy or plan on giving it a lot of daily use, don't waste your money on something expensive, The expensive ones don't do anything more, nor are they particularly more accurate. Find something in the $5 - $20 range at Harbor Freight, Sears, Home Depot, Wally World, etc...

If this is being carried on your scoot, you may NOT want to get a digital meter. This is because it may set for quite some time between uses and the battery will die. A digital meter is useless with a dead battery. An analog meter (needle movement) works without a battery. Just my :2cents: from someone that works in the field of 'tronics'.

A reasonable price for a good quality meter is $30 to $50 bucks.

The $10 ones are junk !!

Get the Digital type.

I have 2 of the $10, type, they both crapped out!!

The last one I bough, cost $60.00 and I am very satisfied with it.

For the units I used on my job for the last 30 years, I always spent about $125.00 for a Good One.

Hmmmmm, I have a $5.99 one that I've had in the garage for around 10 years now that still works fine. Of course, drop it once and it would probably be junk, but for checking for presence of voltage, or for continuity it works fine. Then again it only gets used once or twice a year.

I also have a better one I use for troubleshooting PC boards..

I don't see any Reason for spending big Money on a DMM for use on Vehicles .

That's not Rocket Science we're talking about. There is no need to have a Result compared to another Result on any other Place. It should measure the Voltage and display a somehow exact Result and compare this Result with another Result, taken with the same Device. So, there is no need to know if the displayed 13.2 Volts are actually 12.9 or 13.5 Volts or something in between. Thats the typicall Error on such cheap Devices and this fills our Needs perfectly. In ours Days, virtually any Device, even the cheapest, is capable of such a Error Range. And if the Device has a Beeper to check Continuity. Better.

I'd look more for Usability. Better to have a rubber outside the Casing, if the Unit goes down one Day. Better to have a Switch which is to be turned, when shutting off, than a Press/Depress Knob. Such a Knob could be pressed unintentially and there goes the Battery Power.... don't ask how i know ...

Also, it would be better to have Leads where Measure Clamps can be attached. Or the Ports of the DMM are standard Size, to exchange the normally spiry Lead Ends versus a second Pair with Clamps. So, if you want to measure a Connector, you can clamp one End on the Battery Post or to Ground and have the other End in one Hand and the Connector in the other Hand. With such Clamps, one can secure the Clamps with Duct Tape and velcro the DMM to the Bike and go for a Test Ride securly.

As for analog Meters...

Yes, they don't need a Battery. Yes they need to have the Plus on the Plus LEAD ! Yes, the Meter is a lot more disturbed by Vibration and Bumps. Yes, if you want to check Resistance, there has to be a Battery. Yes, you have to set the right Range before!! putting it on Voltage or the Meter could be shot in Moment.

In other Words, if you're electrically inclined, you're able to use a analog Meter proper and without getting it wrecked on a long Term. And even then, there are some Moments which you wish not have happened...

If you want a good meter buy Fluke branded meters. I used them in hte US Navy and I am rough on equipmnet. I never broke one.

If you want to go the inexpensive route, look at Harbor Freight, but by 2 as most of HF tools are cheep, they sometimes are inexpensive, also...

In my previous years, I spent about 20 years working as an electrician. I've used and owned a number of meters over the years. A very good analog meter was the old Simpson...260 I think was the model. Used one of those for many years when working for a power company. I now own a Fluke and another one that came from Sears. Both are digital and neither were really cheap. The Fluke was the most expensive but I've owned it now for over 15 years and it's a great meter. You will pay a premium price though. Probably more than is needed for occasional use. You can pick up a good digital meter from Radio Shack, Sears, etc. for well under $100.00. Actually probably in the $50.00 range.

Thanks, everyone, for all of the input and responses. It has been most helpful!

Keeping in mind your comments, and after comparing a bunch of meters for range and function capabilities at the local stores, I made the modest purchase of a Sperry SP-10A for $14 at Home Depot. Hopefully, it will prove sufficient.

Thanks, again!

Terry