IGNORED

Anyone experience driveline lash?

When on trailing throttle at 45+ MPH I find it very difficult to roll back on the throttle with out experiencing a jerky re-engagement. I do not hammer the throttle back open. Just roll it back on.

Shafties usually don't have this. What could be out of tolerance or is it normal?

A little lash is normal I think. Too much and my first thought would be U joints, then rear end. Good luck Rod
So it is normal? Do you get a bit of it as well then?

What gear are you in? The higher the RPM level at 45 the more of a lash you may experience. It will also depend on what you consider 'rolling' on the throttle.
Mostly notice it in 3,4,5th. However, it is most noticeable at LOWER RPMs in those gears, not higher. The higher the RPM the less intrusive the lash. For instance, 5th gear; trailing throttle at 50mph, roll back on and I get a jerk. the jerk depends on how hard I roll back on. But it feels like something taking up slack....like it would on a chain drive bike with a chain that's a bit too loose.

When carbs are set up to be too lean at small throttle openings - pilot jets or mixture screws - the throttle can act just like that and be difficult to operate smoothly. It could still be other things too.

Dang...I really don't want it to be carbs. I don't want to tear into those right now! :eek:

Guess I'll pull the rear wheel and shaft and inspect for play. But if you all feel it too maybe I'll leave well enough alone and just RIDE!

try taking some of the play out of the throttle cable. It will make the acceleration between gears a lot smoother. don't make it tight. there has to be a little play. give it a try. if not you can alway put it back. the adjustment is right by your throttle.

Bob

1) You have mentioned a few times now it happens while you trailer. Silly question, does it happen when you do not have your trailer?

2) On my way in to the office today I paid close attention to it and tried a few different things. I noticed the behavior that you described when I was in 5th and gently rolled on below 45 mph. (In my opinion though, that is much to slow to be rolling back on the throttle in 5th gear; but I did notice the behavior that you describe). I did not try it in other gears as traffic did not allow that.

Checking throttle cables, and making sure everything is lubed up and moving appropriately is never a bad idea though.

These trannys, middle gear and final drives have what I call a tremendous amount of "free-play" in them. One way to see this is to jack up the rear tire (center stand for us 1st gen guys!) and put the bike in gear. Move the tire back and forth throughout the different gears and you can see how much free play there is. It'll be different in each gear, but not a whole lot.

Dan