IGNORED

Banging noise in fairing

I have a 2007 RSV. When I hit a certain bumps on the road I get a loud bang from inside the fairing. It is not all bumps just ones that seem to have a sharp drop to it. I have changed the air pessure in the front forks anywhere from 0 to 5 psi and it doesn't make a difference. I have removed the front fairing and cannot find anything loose or broken. I did notice that the headlight assembly is spring mounted and does make a little noise but I don't think this is the problem. Does any one else have this problem?

You might could check the air pressure in the front tubes. Should be 3 to 5lbs max

Use hand pump and not an air compresser or you could blow the fork seals.

The large black rubber connectors inside the fairing may be the culprit....and you can check to see if the cassette player is not loose in its bracket behind the head light bracket.

One other thing is check the large nut under your handle bars and make sure it is tighten per spec..

I just cracked open the fairing two weekends ago to see what was rattling when I hit big bumps.

I found one collection of wire harness plugs to the left of the headlight as you face the bike was resting on the inside fairing. It had been rubbed and banging so long that it wore a groove half way through the abs. So I cut up a foam rubber beer can cozy and glued part of that in the spot so the wire harness rests on padding.

Next I found cracks in the ABS for my two outer windshield bolts. I also found the mounting point for the metal bar that the windshields bolts two was broken loos on the right hand side. I used some ABS epoxy to glue all the parts pack together again.

Now mine is a '99 and after ten years of riding I expect a few signs of age, but yours is a 2007. So maybe it's just a wire hardness banging around.

Don't overlook the steering head bearings - if they are loose you can get the same thing.

Goose

Yup - Do you hear or feel a 'click' with semi-hard front braking? If you have a lift, put the bike up and then gently lift the front tire. You will know if it is the bearings. You can also use the bounce test while on the lift. Set the tire straight and then let it fall to one side. It should bounce back and then stay.

RR

Checked steering head bearings already, they feel good. Not the chrome piece in front. I removed that and went for a test ride, still did it. I did not check the wire bundles inside the fairing. That would be a good place to look this weekend. Thanks

Checked steering head bearings already, they feel good. Not the chrome piece in front. I removed that and went for a test ride, still did it. I did not check the wire bundles inside the fairing. That would be a good place to look this weekend. Thanks

With the front wheel off the ground with a lift, kick the front tire like it owed you money and listen for the clunk.. could be 'anything'.. for my buddy, turned out to be the audio box loose to the mounts.. simple as that..