One thing that has always bugged me about this bike is that the 4 way flashers (hazard lights) will only work while the engine is running.. It's obvious so that you not run down the battery but shouldn't you be able to turn the bike off, and still have 4 way flashers alerting others while you're stopped somewhere?

One case in point is when I go to the drive through bank teller machine on the bike, they prefer you turn off your vehicle (no idle zone).. but I don't want to sit there vulnerable to the next git on a cell phone or picking his nose.. I would love to be able to have the flashers on while on accessories..

So how long could you possibly run your 4 way flashers on acc before hurting the battery? Could they even be wired in such a fashion to make them available without the engine running?

a local lad jumped off his bike to assist a pedestrian accident, left his bike running for the 4 way flashers to work and someone jumped on the bike and made off with it.. go figure eh?

good question, but i don't have the answer. i do hope they caught the bad guy who took the bike from a good samaritan. it is a shame he did not have a riding buddy who could have taken pursuit to follow. that's why we are in the world shape we are in.

:doh:

you got me thinkin , i have 4 white strobs hooked up to my brake lites , they are inside of my tail lite . if i install another set but put 1 in each turn sig. i will have 4 way flashers and they will be LED , i could leave them on for days with out the battery going down . i got the strobs from auto zone for less than 25 bucks :think:

Thom

Don't know if they're supposed to work like my BMW used to.

With the Beemer you had to activate the 4-ways with the igniton 'ON' then you could turn the ignition off, remove the key and the 4-ways would keep on keeping on.

If you turned them off then you had to re-ignite (ha ha) the bike and do it all again.

I suppose that stops some smart-4rse walking past your bike in a parking lot and turning the 4-ways on whilst you're not there and flattening your battery.

The LEDs sound like the way to go.

yep. It appears to be one of the differences between the RSTD and the RSV.

emergency flashers are good to have. I want to add some extra LED lights to mine, and this thread has me thinking that I should add a flasher to the circuit.

Guest tx2sturgis

Ive wondered about this too. On most harleys, you can activate the 4 ways while in accessory position... I wonder why yamaha didnt do that?

Seems like Goose or someone with familiarity would be able to figure a way to rewire the 4 way circuit to work in accessory position....just a thought.

good question, but i don't have the answer. i do hope they caught the bad guy who took the bike from a good samaritan. it is a shame he did not have a riding buddy who could have taken pursuit to follow. that's why we are in the world shape we are in.

That's the problem with a quiet bike lol.. no one heard him pull away with it.. buddy even left the helmet resting on the seat for the thief.. With all the chaos of the accident scene it was too congested to even see who what and when it was taken.. they did recover the bike a few miles down the road, undamaged.. but no key..

I've been thinking about this for a while and I think I can do it. I'm thinking you can add an extra fused/switched power feed to the turn signal circuit at the fuse (brown wire). Hide the switch behind the seat or wherever. Then you can turn it on with the key out of the ignition and operate the 4 way flashers with its own switch.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like we're getting somewhere.. a good winter wiring project.. I have to chase down a short in the highway lamps anyway so this would be a concurrent project.. w00t

Gotta get some serious riding in before Bill pays a visit to Nova Scotia on Sunday.. sheesh

I installed strobe lighting (4) (do a lot of escourting) with a seperate switch placed in side cover and fused from the battery, can be used instead of 4 way flashers, bike has sat for 3 hours with them on and did not affect the battery. :bobby:

Pictures and instructions please