OK I have a 93VR, I started having E4 errors so I have done as suggested, soldered the board, didn't fix it, then I started getting E1,E6 & the E4 again. So I tore down the bike and done all the checks as mentioned in the service manual. While I was doing the checks on the controller, it seems to take a long time for the voltage to come up to 13.3 volts on some of the checks while testing on the back side of the plug. The solenoid valves and pump are OK. I cleaned all plugs real good with CRC. Now the display at the controller will sometimes not even light up. The only thing i have NOT done is take the fairing off and check the relay on the curb side of the bike.

I am up for any suggestions on what to do next. Has anyone done away with the CLASS system by just airing up the rear when needed by installing an air stem at the junction on the side of the seat and use a tire pressure gauge to check pressures?

If any one has a spare circuit board maybe I can see if it is just a bad board?

I'm at whits end.

Make sure the main white connector plug's contacts are clean AND tight- I seem to always have a problem with this. This is the plug coming into the back of the unit when you flip the panel to check your coolant level. (Even if the lights in the unit come on in the ACC key position, it doesn't mean anything. The light are powered by the other wires coming out the back. The CLASS unit is powered through the white connector if I remember correctly). After the contacts are clean and the plug is installed, I will use a small screwdriver to make sure that each metal connector is firmly seated from the backside of the connector.

Lastly, if it still isn't working right (and all the solder joints are good), try cleaning the connector contacts on the connector cable (that should be a ribbon cable but isn't) that connects the two boards inside. This is a scary operation so proceed with extreme caution not to break small pins and 20+ year old circuit boards.

The problems that I have had with the CLASS unit and this solved them for the most part--

• E4 code - solved by soldering 3 broken joints
  • Cleaning the connector cable that connects the two boards-solved problem of getting the unit to pump up in ACC key position but dumping all the pressure when the key is moved to either OFF or ON.

Hope this helps!

MARCARL,

Yep I added new as I went along making it look shiney.

Safteyguy,

I'm getting ready to go out and try the screw driver trick on the big white plug.

Tonight when I got home I walked by the bike and turn the key to ACC and it took a little while for the lite to come on, and then it went directy to an E1 error every time.

:confused07:

The CLASS is a love or hate...or both. I have removed the system from a couple of my 1st gens because I couldn't get it to work right even with soldering. You can install the air lines from a standard Venture as they didn't have the fancy system. KISS is the main thing here Keep it stupid simple, if this '89 I just got gets to the point where the CLASS gives the ghost I will do the same thing to it without hesitation.

I found my problem, the connector for the class fuse was corroded badly, cleaned it up and it works perfectly. :doh:Now for the A_ _ part, I cut the line air line for the rear shock and now I need a replacement for it.

Does any one have a air line that starts with the banjo bolt and goes to the connector under the seat on the right side. Or does any one have a suggestion on how to splice the line back together?:bang head:

Thanks