IGNORED

Utopia backrest with a passenger??

wrongway2

Hello Everyone:

I'm the new guy on the block here I suppose. On Saturday I picked up my "new to me" 2006 RSTD.

After putting on around 600 miles so far with my wife on the back, the stock seat just might be ok. After much moving around I seemed to find a sweet spot that wasn't torturing my tail bone.

Anyway, here's my question (finally). I put a Utopia backrest on our 98 goldwing and my wife found that it really restricted her room on the back so does anybody have any input as to how their wife feels with the Utopia on the bike.

Thanks in advance for your advice and input. :big-grin-emoticon:

Greg

I have a Utopia on my '86 and it restricts Jan's room also. I have the quick release, so, I just pull the backrest when we ride 2 up. Jan has her own bike and would rather ride it than be on the back of mine (no, I don't scare her - at least not while I ride).:big-grin-emoticon:

Dave

WELCOME!!

I think that it may just be a personal preference for some women. My wife likes the feeling of being held in by the backrest. Some probably don't. You may be able to find out whether she'd be comfortable with it just by both of you getting on the bike and holding something between you that is similar in size to a backrest to see how much room she'd really have.

Snarley Bill and FreezyRider are both right.

I can get lost in any country and any town within that country. Just ask anybody who's travelled with me.

And no, I don't know the first wrongway but I'll bet we could have one heck of a trip without a GPS. :big-grin-emoticon:

Snarley Bill and FreezyRider are both right.

I can get lost in any country and any town within that country. Just ask anybody who's travelled with me.

And no, I don't know the first wrongway but I'll bet we could have one heck of a trip without a GPS. :big-grin-emoticon:

wrongway has a gps, and he still don't know east from west. :stirthepot: :2133:

how bout it .... any body have a back rest for a 84 vr or find one ? ?

please:thumbsup:

Yes I have one that I'm not going to use. It's in perfect condition like new. Brown. My 84 is a blond and this is the perfect match but my navigator is too short so it bothers her legs and I cannot use it.

Wayne

You can move the trunk back 1" to give her more room. I did it with my 07 for my girlfriend and she said it made a big difference. You will need some bolts and nuts you can pick up at just about any major hardware store.

Here is a link to a discussion on how to do it.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36425&highlight=move+trunk

I don't know anything at all about the Utopia backrests, and I know this won't help you unless you live somewhere near me, however, when I bought my bike a year ago, I wanted a backrest immediately as I had one on my previous bike and have decided never to be without one. Anyway, to make a short story a bit long, they had one in stock that was made by a guy who lives in town there. It works great, fits great, looks good and does not impede the comfort of the little misses whatsoever. It's not nearly as wide as a lot of them but more than adequately does the job.