IGNORED

Need voltage check

cookieman

Hi everyone, I am looking for some who can do a voltage check on your tci---let me give what I need. I have an 84 venture, I have 12 volts going to the tci- at all the wires that are 12 volts---- Now what I would like some to do is, do a voltage reading at the 12 volt inputs with the key on,--- Now his what I need to know ---- when you hit the starter

WHAT IS THE VOLTAGE READING?

mine is droping to about 4/5 volts!!! but will not start. Now everything else is ok, in fact I do get a very weak spark out of the coils. My thought is that I should have 12 volts all the time-can't rember any thing that would drop that low just to start! Also the other parts of the system stays at 12 volts, I hope someone could do a test on their bike just to see if this is where my problem is. :bang head: Thanks a million guys. tom ---cookieman

I assume the Voltage which drops is the Voltage at the TCI Input. If so, I'd check the Voltage on the Battery Posts during starting with a second Voltmeter or, at least hook the Voltmeter to teh Battery Post and check there.

The Voltage on the TCI should not drop lower than the Battery Voltage. If the Voltage on the Battery drops equivalent to the Voltage at the TCI, usually the Battery is gone. If not, you'll need to explore the feeding Wires further.

Have you checked that your battery is fully charged and in good condition. These bike require a strong battery to keep them starting and running right. I'd have to supect the battery or a great deal of resistance along the starting system. Cables and their connections to ALL points, a dirty or worn starter being most likey.

No guys , as I said the voltage is good 12volts----- but the power drops to 4/5 volts while cranking!!!! all the other votage is 12volts---- I am looking for some who has a good working system to tell me what voltage they read as it cranks. I can't seem to find what drops the voltage to 4/5 volts. Everything is working just like it should- (just to make a short story.) Thanks guys tom

I tested my 1985 VR for you . . .

At the battery terminals = +12.5Vdc

At the fuse block = +11.8

At the fuse block and cranking = +9.8

My Comments:

The voltages above show that I have poor connections or wiring between the battery and the fuse block resulting in a drop of .8Vdc. I plan on making improvements to the stock battery cables and such. Yes, my VR turns over slow and is sometimes hard to start.

A good battery (car or bike) will not drop below +9V at the terminals when cranking the engine. This is assuming the battery is properly sized to the application. A battery that drops below +9V during cranking will no longer hold a load and should be replaced. If your battery is dropping to 4/5 volts at the terminals during cranking, the starter should not be turning the engine over. My guess is that you are seeing this 4/5 volts on the system and the problem is battery cables and/or connections.

No gary, I need the voltage at the tci and the coils, all my oyher voltage is ok!!!!

I also have high voltage at bat, fuse, ect. during cranking, but I am looking for a good bike volts just to make shore mine is wrong. There is nothing in any manual that shows me what I want to see. I have downloaded the manuals. Thanks tom I am going to rewire the coils and the tci recive 12 volts when cranking---- lets see if this puppy fires off this time!!!!!!!! Thanks for everbodys help---I am just about going bonkers:bang head:

Check out ground connections as well. Dont know about 1st gens either, but sounds like loose connection at that wire dropping to 5V under load. Kill Switch, Kick stand switch, and ignition switch can give you a lot of trouble dropping a voltage. Trace wire and check where is ending. start from there. :doh:

Good Luck.

No gary, I need the voltage at the tci and the coils, all my oyher voltage is ok!!!!

I also have high voltage at bat, fuse, ect. during cranking, but I am looking for a good bike volts just to make shore mine is wrong. There is nothing in any manual that shows me what I want to see. I have downloaded the manuals. Thanks tom I am going to rewire the coils and the tci recive 12 volts when cranking---- lets see if this puppy fires off this time!!!!!!!! Thanks for everbodys help---I am just about going bonkers:bang head:

+11Vdc at the TCI - static

+7Vdc at the TCI - cranking

Thanks gary, thats the figure I am looking for, not what I wanted to see but it is better than my 4/5 volts. By the way I have good connections everywhere else, my battery voltage only drops about 1.5 = 11.5 volts do to starter draw. But what was killing me was the large drop at the coils and tci of 6/7 volts. :crying: Thanks again tom