IGNORED

Thought I had it....

Well, I got the carbs put back together and re-installed on the bike (my first time). After I got the bike put back together, I decided to take her for a spin and she ran like a dream:usa:. She did have a hard time idling though. When I got back from around the block, I seen a puddle of fuel on the ground:yikes:. Come to find out, I had accidently left the #1 carb drain open. Easy fix....until I took closer look, I noticed that the drain line was not the only thing leaking fuel. Appearently all 4 carbs were leaking fuel and I know that I put the covers back on tight when I re-assembled them:soapbox:. I guess my question is.....how often do you have to replace the O-ring that seals the cover to the carb?

Well, I got the carbs put back together and re-installed on the bike (my first time). After I got the bike put back together, I decided to take her for a spin and she ran like a dream:usa:. She did have a hard time idling though. When I got back from around the block, I seen a puddle of fuel on the ground:yikes:. Come to find out, I had accidently left the #1 carb drain open. Easy fix....until I took closer look, I noticed that the drain line was not the only thing leaking fuel. Appearently all 4 carbs were leaking fuel and I know that I put the covers back on tight when I re-assembled them:soapbox:. I guess my question is.....how often do you have to replace the O-ring that seals the cover to the carb?

I replaced one O-Ring of the Fuel Bowl Cover at 20+ Carb Sets i worked on.

did you put " both " orings back on. the large one, and the little one ??

The large one's can eaisly slip out of there groove's on reassembly.

That is a good question. I will probably pull the carbs back off again tonight and take another look. Also, I had one heck of a time trying to get the throttle cables back on? I gave up on the "throttle up" cable and had to rig it up. I tried every method I could think of and still wound up half a hair too short.....

That is a good question. I will probably pull the carbs back off again tonight and take another look. Also, I had one heck of a time trying to get the throttle cables back on? I gave up on the "throttle up" cable and had to rig it up. I tried every method I could think of and still wound up half a hair too short.....

I haven't messed with the carbs for awhile so my memory isn't real clear. I do know that you put the cables back on before seating the carbs into place. If I remember correctly I took off the bracket that holds the cables in place until the cables were connected and then screwed the bracket back in place. I know that once I figured it out it was very easy to do.

Dick

It is tremendously easier to install the throttle cables with the carbs NOT seated in thier boots, Don't ask me how I know.

I looked at my spare set of carbs early this morning to refresh my memory some. As I said earlier, the carb set needs to be only partially slid into place going in from the left side. There are two cable guides screwed onto the top of the carb rack. With the inner guide unscrewed and off the rack the inner and outer cables can then be easily installed. Once installed, the guide is then screwed back into place. Once the cables are connected the rack is then slid farther into place until aligned with the boots and then finished up.

It's been awhile since I have removed the carbs but for a week or so I removed and reinstalled them at least 8 times trying to get the floats adjusted just right. I remember timing the last install and it was right at 15 minutes from start to having the bike sitting and running. The hardest problem I had was re-connecting the hose to the bottom of the filter box. Once I finally figured out how to get it on with some long needle nose pliers it also became a little easier.

Dick

Thank you for all of your tips. I have resolved the issue with the leaking carbs. I wound up removing all of the carb covers and removing/ reinstalling the o-rings. I them replaced the covers onto a different carb than it was removed from. All is well (still working on the cables :missingtooth: