IGNORED

MP3 connection on RSV

I am curious if anyone else has had a problem with their MP3 connection. I am trying to use mine and it works playing a radio station from my MP3, but my recorded music which is formated MP3 does not play. I am curious if it is an early version of MP3 on the bike or if I need to change the MP3 format of my downloads?????

Thanks for any advice.

Yeah, I selected the Aux. I was testing it there and can hear the radio from my MP3 play through the system, but it will not play the MP3 files I have created. The player is a Samsung YP-T8.

Sorry, that just makes NO sense at all to me - in fact, I'd go so far as to say it is not possible.

As stated above, the audio jack under the cassette door is the AUX input to the RSV audio system. This is nothing more or less than the ability to substitute the RSV speakers (or headset) for a separate headset on your MP3 player. What that means is that ANY sound that you can hear with a headset plugged into your MP3 player WILL be heard in the RSV when the audio system is set to AUX and the volume is properly adjusted.

There is no "version of MP3 on the bike" as you mentioned in your first post - there is only the audio input jack. It is possible that you are not hearing anything at all from your MP3 player for a number of reasons, but it is not possible that you would hear its radio but not a music file if you can hear that same music file when you connect the MP3 player directly to a headset. Note that there are no controls on the bike for playing an MP3 file (other than adjusting the volume like normal) - the file must be played by using the normal play controls on your MP3 player.

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

First thing is to isolate it. Plug the earphones in you use to listen to the mp3 player and then play an mp3. if you can hear it then crank the vol all the way up on the player and then plug it into the aux in and see what it sounds like

So, are you saying the 1/8th jack on the cassette deck is an AUX in? I thought it was an AUX out for a headphone setup. I use the cassette adapter for my ipod.

My question would be.....could I just plug the ipod into the AUX jack by the cassette deck and do away with the adapter?

Have a safe summer!

Thanks

So, are you saying the 1/8th jack on the cassette deck is an AUX in? I thought it was an AUX out for a headphone setup. I use the cassette adapter for my ipod.

My question would be.....could I just plug the ipod into the AUX jack by the cassette deck and do away with the adapter?

Have a safe summer!

Thanks

Yes.

Goose

Yes you can. You could also still use your cassette adapter but you need to have the audio system set on cassette and NOT auxiliary if you do it that way. You will get better results though if you go directly into the Aux jack and do NOT use the cassette adapter. Just run a 1/8" stereo patch cable from the headphone jack of your MP3 player to the aux jack beside the cassette.

Should be able to. I have a MP3 Player w/ 1/8" Jack into RSV works great.

Somebody above asked can you hear MP3 Music thru your earphones when not attached to RSV? This will determine if you have a functional MP3 Player! The RSV is basically a Big External Speaker when in AUX and AUX Volume is turned UP!

I use the jack next to the cassette player to my Garmin and listen to tunes through "Aux" my question is, when I do away with my cassette player and go to guages, will I be able to plug into anything behind the cassette player or will I need to hardwire this?:sign09:

If using casette deck headphone jack make sure it is set to cassette setting on the radio.

If using the jack from inside the fairing then use AUX. Will need to do the following mod 1st

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3905]Installing an Aux line splitter - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

If not familiar with it, here is how to open the fairing to get to the jacks

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=494]Splitting the Fairing - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

If you use any headphones and can hear music, you should be able to hear it through the bike as well providing you are using the appropriate setting on the radio unit and volume is turned up. You may have to turn the volume up on the mp3 player as well.

If using casette deck headphone jack make sure it is set to cassette setting on the radio.

If using the jack from inside the fairing then use AUX. Will need to do the following mod 1st

Installing an Aux line splitter - VentureRider.Org

If not familiar with it, here is how to open the fairing to get to the jacks

Splitting the Fairing - VentureRider.Org

If you use any headphones and can hear music, you should be able to hear it through the bike as well providing you are using the appropriate setting on the radio unit and volume is turned up. You may have to turn the volume up on the mp3 player as well.

The part in red above is WRONG!. The audio jack mounted on the front panel of the cassette deck is ONLY connected to the AUX input - if you set the RSV system to Cassette, you will not be able to use that input jack.

Many of us have added a second aux input jack as shown in the first link. Easy to do, but you generally cannot use BOTH aux input jacks at the same time (such as for an MP3 player and a radar detector together) without something to isolate the two devices.

If you remove your cassette deck, you just need to add a new AUX input jack somewhere and plug it into the same place the phone jack from the cassette deck was connected (where we add the Y splitter when adding a second jack).

Goose

I think what he is sayin there Goose is if your using one of those plug in cassette adapters that plug into the mp3 player and looks like a cassette. Then you pop that into the cassette you have to have the bike on cassette to hear it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41A7EF8TZJL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I think what he is sayin there Goose is if your using one of those plug in cassette adapters that plug into the mp3 player and looks like a cassette. Then you pop that into the cassette you have to have the bike on cassette to hear it.

Maybe so, but that isn't the way it was written. Without correction, that statement would have been very confusing to readers who do not already understand the connection. It specifically referenced a "headphone jack" and "jack from inside the fairing" as two different things, when the fact is, both "jacks" as they exist on the RSV are the same AUX connection.

Goose

I use the jack next to the cassette player to my Garmin and listen to tunes through "Aux" my question is, when I do away with my cassette player and go to guages, will I be able to plug into anything behind the cassette player or will I need to hardwire this?:sign09:

Larry, I'll pick up an auxillary jack to plumb in when we do your gauges.

The part in red above is WRONG!. The audio jack mounted on the front panel of the cassette deck is ONLY connected to the AUX input - if you set the RSV system to Cassette, you will not be able to use that input jack.

Many of us have added a second aux input jack as shown in the first link. Easy to do, but you generally cannot use BOTH aux input jacks at the same time (such as for an MP3 player and a radar detector together) without something to isolate the two devices.

If you remove your cassette deck, you just need to add a new AUX input jack somewhere and plug it into the same place the phone jack from the cassette deck was connected (where we add the Y splitter when adding a second jack).

Goose

Goose,

Could you elaborate please. I added a Y-splitter (actually three way splitter) off of the jack inside the fairing. One goes to the cassette aux jack (which I don't really use), one goes to my GPS audio, one goes to my iPod. My problem is that when I have both the GPS and iPod going, the audio level is significantly reduced compared to when only one or the other is on. "Something to isolate the two devices"? What means this? Any way to hear both sources simultaneously without the volume for either being cut in half?

Kennedy makes a device that will swap between the Ipod and the gps.......Like you have both on and the ipod is playing.The GPS will come onto the speaker and give directions and then the ipod will come back on.....Hopefully this made some sense....LOL

I had this set up on my wing.

HTH

Goose,

Could you elaborate please. I added a Y-splitter (actually three way splitter) off of the jack inside the fairing. One goes to the cassette aux jack (which I don't really use), one goes to my GPS audio, one goes to my iPod. My problem is that when I have both the GPS and iPod going, the audio level is significantly reduced compared to when only one or the other is on. "Something to isolate the two devices"? What means this? Any way to hear both sources simultaneously without the volume for either being cut in half?

That is a typical problem. It is also not uncommon to actually smoke the audio output in one system when you just plug them together like that. The problem is that the audio amps and jacks are not designed to ever be connected to a different device, so sometimes the amp output is effectively pumped straight into the ground of the other device. When both devices are powered from the bike's 12V system, that creates a ground loop back to the first device, and THAT'S when the smoke starts.

There are various devices you can buy or make that solve this problem, but I am not aware of anything commercially available specifically for a motorcycle. I have not personally used this device, but either one or two of them in your splitter circuit would probably solve your problem:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SNI135/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-Noise-Filter.html?tp=2653

Goose

UPDATE:

I found one specifically for motorcycles - looks like the Kennedy unit referenced in the post above. But it is expensive - over $100:

http://www.cellset.com/AuxSwitchSet2.html

Edited by V7Goose
More info

Thank you all for the insight. Turns out, when I hooked my MP3 player to the Aux jack and selected the radio on my MP3 player the volume setting was fine for listening through the bike's system. However, when I switched the MP3 over to my copied files, I had to turn the volume on the MP3 player all the way up to hear it through the system.

That unfortunately was why I was confused. Normally in other things tha I have had to play around with, the volume settings are generally the same. The disparity between the two volume settings is abnormally large.

Again, appreciate all the help and insight.:240:

I installed the splitter inside the fairing last week. It was well worth the $5 and 30 minutes it took. Now I can close the cassette door and I ran the cord so it comes out opposite the intercom plug-in. The sound is MUCH better (cleaner and louder) than when I was using the cassette adapter. And all the wires are no longer hanging around the handlebar, so the bike looks cleaner, too. I keep the volume on the MP3 player at max and I can hear my music over anybody's pipes. :banana: And with over 45 CD's/albums on the MP3 - I'll never have to listen to the same cassette over and over and over and over and over...............:doh:

So, once again thanks - info from fellow Venture Riders has improved the enjoyment of my ride considerably over the years.