Hey

I'm going to teat out my old collector from my 84 which cracked at the out pipe and replace it with the good one from my old 83...( glad I kept it).

Do i need to replace all the gaskets... Those darn things are expensive.. Rick at buckeye quoted 148.00 for eight of them.

Can the old ones be reused?

Clay

Maybe I'm nuts, but 148.00 for all eight sounds nuts too, as there are only six. Both front head pipes in, both rear head pipes in and two out. Where is he coming up with eight. Also, if you can get your olds one out without damaging them too much you should be able to reuse. I believe Yammerdan is referring to the metal o ring type gaskets that seal the header pipes where they bolt to the exhaust ports on the head.

How many?

1 @ each exhaust inlet to the collector (that's 4)

1 @ each exhaust outlet from the collector (that's 2)

Total of 6

The inlet ones are made of a soft material.

The outlet ones are either copper or brass.

Get 'em from Yamaha and I believe they're 20 bucks a piece? (NO ... get 'em somewhere cheaper)

Maybe I'm nuts, but 148.00 for all eight sounds nuts too, as there are only six. Both front head pipes in, both rear head pipes in and two out. Where is he coming up with eight. Also, if you can get your olds one out without damaging them too much you should be able to reuse. I believe Yammerdan is referring to the metal o ring type gaskets that seal the header pipes where they bolt to the exhaust ports on the head.

Right. there has to be cheaper place for others. Anybody??

It could be that the other 2 that make up 8 are for the front header pipes coz you have to loosen or remove them to drop the collector and in so doing, they may get damaged or may just be worn out and need replacing anyhoo.

When I did my collector on both the '85 & the '87, I replaced all the gaskets. It wouldn't hurt to get all you "may" need... just in case.

I was including the front header gaskets in that number.. Probably will not need to replace those, but looking for another place to get the collector in and outs at a little bit better price...

This looks to be an time consuming job that will require a few beverages to accomplish.

Any tricks, tips or advice welcome.

I was including the front header gaskets in that number.. Probably will not need to replace those, but looking for another place to get the collector in and outs at a little bit better price...

This looks to be an time consuming job that will require a few beverages to accomplish.

Any tricks, tips or advice welcome.

First time around it took me about 2 1/2 hrs but I spent quite a bit of time cleaning the pipes, etc and fussing. Don't recall how long it took the second time but I'd guess about 1 hr RE & RE

There are only 2 bolts holding the collector onto the frame. Get under the bike if you can with a trouble light to locate them or use a mirror. As long as the front header pipes are out of the collector, mufflers are off, and clamps are loose for the rear header pipes-collector, and mounting bolts are out, a few taps with a hammer or a bit of prying with a bar and the collector should just drop right off.

EDIT: just a quick note... the more beers you have, the longer this project will take .. LOL!

A friend of mine once mentioned that instead of using the copper sleeves, he just bought some copper wire, and made several TIGHT turns until it was about the same length as the original. He claimed it worked even better than the originals. I haven't tried it, so I can't say if it works or not, I am just giving ideas.

If the gaskets are thinner than new (#/16ths or so) you can use a #12 solid copper wire to enhace the sealing ability. If new is needed, a couple turns of #10 copper wire will work. Been on mine for a couple of years now, still quiet!

Good luck Clay, aren't you busy with football right now?! Glad you got your priorities straight! The Venture comes first!

Dan

I took the motor out of my 83 twice....once to rebuild 2nd gear and then the following year to replace the frame after it broke. Both times I re-used the exhaust gaskets and everything sealed great. Since then I've had the exhaust system off a couple of times and still using the old gaskets.

When I bought my 89, it had a rattling collector and an anti-freeze leak in the O ring for the thermostat. I pulled it apart, replaced the collector (with one I had) and put it back together. I did have to replace 1 gasket here.

It's likely you'll be able to take yours apart and put it back together with the old gaskets. If you need a replacement, try the wire trick...it probably works great.

Frank D.

My blue '84 came with a rotten collector. I bought a better one on ebay and installed it to replace the rotten one. I used a combo of gaskets that came with the ebay one and ones recycled from the original. I have several years of riding that bike now with no exhaust leaks at the collector so far as I can determine.

Mufflers also have to come of for rear wheel removal. They go back on with the old gaskets no problem in my experience.

My current exhaust leaks are at the ports on the rear cylinders. Still working up a strategy to tackle that one, as I don't see enough space to get tools in there. So far I have been lazy and just put up with a bit (ok quite a bit) of noise but I will repair this soon as life & other responsibilities permit.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers,

Brian H.

I just changed all of the exhaust system gaskets because I had a leak at the collector so while I had everything apart I changed them all. I bought them at Cheap cycle parts.com. They were $20+ each. Yamaha has replaced the old copper band type gasket with a grey soft band type. You need to be careful with them when inserting the pipes because they are soft. Also, clean up the pipes real well. I would think the new type will seal better because they are soft.

I had to replace mine awhile back and I made my own from some 1 1/4" ID copper tubing.

there are two ways to do it.

1) cut two pieces 1" long, split one longitudinally and slip it over the uncut one then solder the cut

2) cut a piece 1" long and then get a union sleeve, grind off the inside ridge and slip over the cut tubing.

Works great, no problems or leaks for a couple years now.

Cheap too!

db

:banana: