IGNORED

99 RSV trunk replacement

djb47

Purchased 99 Venture and found prior owner covered up anchors that attach the box to the frame. Several of the screws have pulled through the plastic bottom and it has several cracks and small holes where the plastic has broken. Joe has put me in touch with an offer on e-bay that has a bokttom for sale in the correct color (plum and silver) but they are asking $400.00 for it. Anyone who has a box for 2nd gen for sale?

A word of warning. Yamaha upgraded the fasteners on the trunks to include plates and rubber pieces. This spreads the bolt torque out on the surface of the trunk and prevents cracking as all of the early Ventures had. If you just replace the trunk, without putting in the upgraded parts then it's liable to crack again.

Those parts can be purchased, fairly, cheaply at some of the parts places that are commonly mentioned in this forum:

Part Shark (formerly Flatout)

Motogrid

Cheap Cycle Parts

It looks like Part Shark is going to be the cheapest.

Go into the fiche (I used the 2002 model of the Venture). Pull up the Travel Bag. The parts are numbers 88, 89, 90, 91 and 92 (screws).

#88- PLATE 7 4XY-2846P-00-00 - $1.79

#89- PLATE,RUBBER 9 4XY-2849J-00-00 - $0.99

#90- PLATE, 8 4XY-2846R-00-00 - $1.76

#91- PLATE, RUBBER 11 4XY-2847T-00-00 - $0.99

#92- BLT,BTTN HD 92017-06016-00 - $0.99

Since reading this thread, I just checked the trunk on my '99 and I see 2 bolts on each front corner and 1 bolt, with a large fender washer, on each rear corner. Is this proper or do I need these listed parts? If so, is there a plate that goes across between the bolts instead of a fender washer? Just how does this all go together? Thanks, Owen.

Since reading this thread, I just checked the trunk on my '99 and I see 2 bolts on each front corner and 1 bolt, with a large fender washer, on each rear corner. Is this proper or do I need these listed parts? If so, is there a plate that goes across between the bolts instead of a fender washer? Just how does this all go together? Thanks, Owen.

My suggestion would be to get the listed parts. The parts are cheap enough and the plates are about 2" X 3.5" (just a guess don't have the bike with me to measure right now) so it's substantially more area. It also has the rubber piece to cushion.

If you go to the sites listed and put in all the pertinent information you'll get to the actual fiche. If you go to "Travel Bag" on the fiche and look at the picture (part numbers listed) I think it will probably be self explanatory how the parts go in. I believe the rubber piece goes down first then the plate then the bolts go through the plates and tighten.

I was able to pull the shot of the fiche off of one of the sites. Hopefully it will show you what you need to know. Parts numbers 88, 89, 90, 91, and the bolts are 92

• 9 months later...

I know this thread was started last year, but ran across it a couple of weeks ago. Even though the PO had the trunk bottom replaced under warantee, on the new2me '99RSV, I checked just make sure they had put in the plates etc. A quick peek revealed that they hadn't, so I ordered the parts on the above list while having the tires R&R'd last week. Went out yesterday to install the plates and after closer inspection I found hair line cracks around the screws and washers!! Chem welded the cracks and installed the parts. This board saved my a$$ again. :sign woo hoo: :clap2:

I know this thread was started last year, but ran across it a couple of weeks ago. Even though the PO had the trunk bottom replaced under warantee, on the new2me '99RSV, I checked just make sure they had put in the plates etc. A quick peek revealed that they hadn't, so I ordered the parts on the above list while having the tires R&R'd last week. Went out yesterday to install the plates and after closer inspection I found hair line cracks around the screws and washers!! Chem welded the cracks and installed the parts. This board saved my a$$ again. :sign woo hoo: :clap2:

Gotta like that!!:thumbsup2:

And yet, there are some folks who don't think the $12 per year is reasonable. Can't understand their thinking!!

:doh:

Don't forget the rubber pieces that go between the bottom of the trunk and the luggage rack. I used to see them on e-bay for $20 but can't find them anymore.

I didn't check but I will.... If they're not availble thru Yamaha, try West Marine. They carry 1/4" flat rubber washers that should fit beneath the trunk ... A lot cheaper than $20 PT Barnum bucks.... :)

A word of warning. Yamaha upgraded the fasteners on the trunks to include plates and rubber pieces. This spreads the bolt torque out on the surface of the trunk and prevents cracking as all of the early Ventures had. If you just replace the trunk, without putting in the upgraded parts then it's liable to crack again.

Those parts can be purchased, fairly, cheaply at some of the parts places that are commonly mentioned in this forum:

Part Shark (formerly Flatout)

Motogrid

Cheap Cycle Parts

It looks like Part Shark is going to be the cheapest.

Go into the fiche (I used the 2002 model of the Venture). Pull up the Travel Bag. The parts are numbers 88, 89, 90, 91 and 92 (screws).

#88- PLATE 7 4XY-2846P-00-00 - $1.79

#89- PLATE,RUBBER 9 4XY-2849J-00-00 - $0.99

#90- PLATE, 8 4XY-2846R-00-00 - $1.76

#91- PLATE, RUBBER 11 4XY-2847T-00-00 - $0.99

#92- BLT,BTTN HD 92017-06016-00 - $0.99

Anybody know what year they started using the upgraded parts? I'll try to remember to check my 2001 when I get home tonight. Great info! Thanks for refreshing this thread.

Anybody know what year they started using the upgraded parts? I'll try to remember to check my 2001 when I get home tonight. Great info! Thanks for refreshing this thread.

Dave,

If I'm not mistaken your '01 has the rubbers under it, I believe the '99 and '00 were the 2 years that didn't have it.

I didn't check but I will.... If they're not availble thru Yamaha, try West Marine. They carry 1/4" flat rubber washers that should fit beneath the trunk ... A lot cheaper than $20 PT Barnum bucks.... :)

Sorry, didn't mean those. I meant the ones that look like little blocks of rubber. I think there are 5 of them??? that prevent the bottom of the trunk from hitting your trunk rack.

Sorry, didn't mean those. I meant the ones that look like little blocks of rubber. I think there are 5 of them??? that prevent the bottom of the trunk from hitting your trunk rack.

I'll check just the same, but I suspect they replaced them, or used the old ones, when the dealer replaced the trunk bottom..... :)