IGNORED

1st Gen trunk question

Just a quick question - do 1st gen trunks have a seal (?rubber?) around the "lip" of either the upper or lower part of the trunk??

I am not a "fair weather rider" therefore I do ride in the rain.......that being said water has found its way into my trunk and I'm having trouble trying to figure out where it's coming from. I can't see any obvious cracks or holes and it appears that the design of the lip around the trunk and lid may not require one but then again I don't know if I'm missing something or not.

advise, comments, hints and suggestions all welcome

Thanks

Ed

You betcha there is a seal. The trunk lid seal is squeezed into a groove located at the juncture of the lid and bottom half of the trunk. Also, there is a slight adjustment to the lid that if too loose I suppose water could make its way in. Check it out.

I resealed ALL of the attaching hardware above center with marine grade RTV and found 2 small cracks in the box itself in the center just above the seal frame...a dab there and all was good. the trunk had been overloaded a time or two and it stress cracked

Here is a cheap fix for worn and cracked seals in the trim on the trunk and saddlebags. Mine were dry and rotting and leaked all over. Not much seal left at all when I bought the bike.

I used a pick and a Dremmel with a wire wheel and cleaned out the grooves and removed all the old seal. A trip to the hardware store and I was back in the garage. What I used was the round rubber beading that you use to install screens in sliding doors and aluminum framed windows. A thin and I mean thin bead of silicon into the groove and then feed the rubber striping into the trim and press it in with a screwdriver or the tool for installing the bead into a frame. I had to grind the install tool down a little as it was kind of thick for the job but it ran the bead in nicely. The rubber strips are ridged so once it's in it stays put real well.

Get it all in and close the lid and let her set over night. Mine has been tested in some pretty heavy rain and it is holding up real well.

Just something to give you an idea of some options.

Thank you all for your tips, tricks, hints and suggestions. :banana:

I have tightened up all the nuts/bolts & screws remotely connected to the trunk and used two pieces of electical tape as a thin seal type washer where the backrest cushion mounts enter the trunk. Rain is pretty much all we have here lately and so far no leaks.

The metal trim edging on my trunk has no seal on it anywhere so I will try the window screen trim idea just to make sure.

Thanks again folks I really appreciate it.

BTW Don't you find it strange that when you seem to encounter a problem you're so focused that you can't think outside the box......but you can if someone else has a problem.?.:doh:

I have the same problem. I've always just kept my important stuff in a heavy duty zip-lock. But now that you mention the window screen spline trick, I think I'll have to give it a try. As with most of my problems, if I wait/procrastinate long enough, sooner or later, a solution will present itself.

Also the lock assembly has a seal and were the pins go through, water will get in if the rubber is worn there, another spot is between the trim band and the plastic on the upper lip. the water tends to wick through. rather than take it apart to seal it go to a gm dealer and ask for the liquid silcone they use to reseal sunroofs. you just run a thin bead along the edge and let it run in. There are also some small holes behind the back rest that should have rubber plugs in them make sure they are not missing.

Imagine all this knowledge and all I had to do to get it, was get wiped out on a bike by a cager, buy it back from the insurance and rebuild it. Such an educational deal !!!!