IGNORED

Cruise Control Not Staying Engaged

So my CC started acting up on me. It wouldn't stay engaged when I set it. Figuring it was one of the Micro-switches I started trouble shooting the problem. What I found was that the clutch lever wasn't returning to the completely out position. So when I pushed the lever out and held it there the CC would engage. As soon as I stopped pushing out on it the darn thing would shut off.

Figured the lever was loose. Well not exactly, the darn thing has to be able to move so tightening it was out of the question. Took it apart and found the bushing inside the lever that the pushrod goes into was worn out, and I do mean OUT. I tried to rig it and that didn't work so I ended up ordering a new bushing and paying more to get it shipped to me than it cost.

Put the new bushing in and CC works great now.

I posted this for two reasons, the first being that someone else may have the same problem or experience the same thing in the future.

And B as this was going bad I was noticing some slipping in the clutch under hard acceleration. I always suspected it was something to do with the lever and it was. The bottom of the bushing was angled from wear. When the bushing wore through it also wallered out the hole in the bushing which allowed the bushing to drop and bind where the bushing goes into the lever mount. This in turn was not allowing the clutch to come completely out (without pushing the lever out) and was staying engaged ever so slightly. Whenever I would push the lever all the way out and get on it hard the clutch never slipped, but after shifting into a gear and just releasing the clutch normally I would get a slip about 25% of the time. Sooo with that being said, some folks may have a simple $4.00 problem that could be causing their clutch to slip.

Notice the hole completely through the old bushing.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/SaltyDawg83/93116452.jpg

This is what the backside looked like. Notice no hole in the new bushing :-0

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/SaltyDawg83/b7af276d.jpg

Notice the perfectly round shape of the old bushing. :whistling:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd227/SaltyDawg83/6c6142e9.jpg

I can't believe that ANY part through Yamaha could possibly cost less than shipping, especially since they never stock anything for the RSV. Good post, though.

Edited by jneed53
Added Content

Wayne, thankyou. I was just discussing this with the wife on how the clutch lever was not returning all the way out. Her 1100 vstar is doing the same. I also have not had cc for awhile as it will not engage. So I will check by pushing the lever out all the way and see if it will engage. I guess the old bird is starting to show some wear after 170,000 fantastic km. You wouldn't have a part # would you?

Hal

Wayne, thankyou. I was just discussing this with the wife on how the clutch lever was not returning all the way out. Her 1100 vstar is doing the same. I also have not had cc for awhile as it will not engage. So I will check by pushing the lever out all the way and see if it will engage. I guess the old bird is starting to show some wear after 170,000 fantastic km. You wouldn't have a part # would you?

Hal

https://www.yocracing.com/Accessory_store/store/yoc_viewItem.asp?idProduct=27619

I can't remember what thread I read this post, but if I can recall the cruise control will not engage if travelling at a slow speed below 50 to 60 mph and not on 5th gear. (I may be wrong, but something to think about):parrots: