I went out to ride today. Started the 04 up and pulled it out of the gararge to load up. She started just fine. Battery is less than one year old and is kept on a battery tender. Loaded GPS and everything up then went to start it but nothing happened. No juice, no nothing. The GPS works fine and is getting power to it. Not a mechanic here so all I did was take the seat off and check the battery connections and they are fine. And the kill switch is not the problem either.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like the Ignition Switch problem-- On - Off contacts inside the switch.

follow cable from the switch, open plug, read resistance across the On- Off contacts of the ignition switch.

Or the sidestand switch ?? check that also

sombody should be able to direct you to the location of the Plug

I went out to ride today. Started the 04 up and pulled it out of the gararge to load up. She started just fine. Battery is less than one year old and is kept on a battery tender. Loaded GPS and everything up then went to start it but nothing happened. No juice, no nothing. The GPS works fine and is getting power to it. Not a mechanic here so all I did was take the seat off and check the battery connections and they are fine. And the kill switch is not the problem either.

Any thoughts?

Just a little clarification here - when you say nothing happend do you mean it did not crank or no dash lights/instruments/speedometer, headlamp, turn signals, horn etc?

I think someone said it already, fuses would be the first thing I would check. If all of the fuses are good, then the next thing I would do is verify the voltage on the battery with a meter (or connect a different 12V battery to the bike via jumper cables, to see if you get everything to light up) then lastly, pop the tank off and check the ignition switch.

Good luck!

Rick M.

Absolutely nothing comes on. The key turns and nothing lights up or comes on. I started it 30 minutes earlier with absolutely zero hesitation so I'm thinking it can't be the battery. I never touched the kill switch except to check and see if it was in place. I pulled the kickstand up and even put it in neutral.

I'm thinking ignition switch but that's purely an uneducated guess.

You need a voltmeter to check, but you maybe right. I would check the master fuse first. Its a 30 amp. You can easily remove the fuel tank and get to the connector for the ign switch. That way you can check to see if there's voltage at the connector. Even a little 12 dollar one from Home Depot would work to check for 12 volts DC or higher

Like so many others, I bet it's the ignition switch.... If it ends up being a blown fuse it'll pro'bly take a few blown ones before locating the problem that's causing them to pop.... Isn't there a by-pass that'll work to see if it is actually the switch???

What should have been a simple job checking the ignition fuse is quickly becoming a PITA. The fuse box is defintely not where the manual shows it to be. it shows the ignition fuse in the fuse box behind the right side cowling. I've removed both cowlings and it's not there. Hell, even the picture doesn't match up with what's actually there. I'm a poor mechanic so unfortunately the bike may have to go to a Yamaha dealer tomorrow. I'm going on my long ride at the end of the month and would like to be certain it's done right. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

What should have been a simple job checking the ignition fuse is quickly becoming a PITA. The fuse box is defintely not where the manual shows it to be. it shows the ignition fuse in the fuse box behind the right side cowling. I've removed both cowlings and it's not there. Hell, even the picture doesn't match up with what's actually there. I'm a poor mechanic so unfortunately the bike may have to go to a Yamaha dealer tomorrow. I'm going on my long ride at the end of the month and would like to be certain it's done right. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Sorry to hear that you couldn't find it -- I think on my 01 behind the cowling there is the audio system fuse that is attached to the outside of the other fuse box. I believe that it is located in there, but I might be mistaken... If I was home, I would go take a look -- but I'm a few days away from getting there.

At any rate, it sounds like you've already checked there -- It should be a 30A fuse and on the underside of the cap to the fuse box there is a diagram showing what fuse should be where...

Sorry, this probably isn't much help...

Good luck :-\

I believe the main fuse in on the left side of the bike behind the cover for the passenger floorboards. At least that's the way i remember it from when Riderduke ingnition switch went out on 95 this past winter. We opened that up to check the main before taking the tank off to bypass the ignition.

I believe the main fuse in on the left side of the bike behind the cover for the passenger floorboards. At least that's the way i remember it from when Riderduke ingnition switch went out on 95 this past winter. We opened that up to check the main before taking the tank off to bypass the ignition.

Bug, you are correct, it is behind the lef passgenger floorboards, and a pain to get to.

But, I sort of had the same thing happen lately. Started, ran fine, then turned it off. Came back later and no juice, finally traced it to the positive battery cable not making a good connection on battery post. Cleaned it all up, retightened and no problems since.

Just an FYI. It was the main fuse. The connection had rusted and shorted the fuse.

Thanks all.