IGNORED

Open letter to Yamaha

Dear Yamaha,

It is okay to do a little parts bins raiding to update the Venture. Really! Here's some suggestions. Simply take the item or idea and adapt it to the RSV. Some will bolt on, some may need a few tweaks. (you can borrow my hammer) It should actually be quite simple to do it. In fact, give me a week at your factory with all the parts available and I'll put it together for you.

Here's my list. (cut-n-pasted from your site) Take from...

The Stratoliner:

~ ...Computer-controlled, {twin-bore}, fuel-injection monitors multiple engine parameters to calculate perfect mixture under all conditions; wide-angle 12-hole fuel injectors provide excellent atomization.

~ Exhaust Ultimate Power valve (EXUP) inside the two-into-one exhaust system boosts torque in the 2500-3000-rpm range.

~ 12-spoke wheels evoke a thick spoke look, but carry modern tubeless radial tires; a 130/70-18 front and a fat 190/60-17 rear.

~ Position beams within the main headlight housing provide great visibility.

~ Left-thumb operated high-beam switch, and right-thumb activated accessory driving light switch for great visibility.

~ Bright multi-reflector headlight, LED taillight and amber turn signals behind clear lenses give a custom look.

~ Oxygen sensor and three-way catalyst reduce emissions.

~ Sidebags detach easily for cleaning.

The Warrior:

~ Super-rigid 41mm Kayaba inverted telescopic fork in beefy, cast-aluminum triple clamps gives 5.3 inches of travel for exceptional sport-oriented performance.

~ Link-type, preload and rebound adjustable single shock delivers outstanding rear-wheel tracking for precise handling and plush ride quality.

~ Dual 298mm front disc brakes and radial-mount four-piston calipers and a 282mm rear disc combine for incredible, supersport-spec stopping power.

~ Braided stainless clutch and throttle cables. (Do the brakes while you're at it.)

The NEW Raider:

~ Wiring harness uses lightweight AVSS wires, and switchgear wiring is routed inside the handlebar for a clean appearance.

The FJR1300:

~ Standard equipment Unified Braking System w/ABS: The front brake lever activates six of the eight front braking pistons and one rear piston; the rear brake pedal activates one rear piston and the other two front pistons—for balanced anti-lock braking in all conditions.

Most don't really care about new colors. We'd like some new technology from your flagship.

Also...it still has a cassette player?!? :rolleyes:

Now, you've got all these parts. Most could be easily adapted (i.e. head & tail lights!)

Thanks for your time. Keep just changing colors on the RSV and you'll not get anymore of mine, though...or my money. :)

Just my opinion here folks, but there is no chance at all that Yamaha will make any design changes to the current Royal Star Platform - it is just too old, and the design costs and attendant manufacturing changes will never be recovered. This bike is never going to get FI, or even a change to the audio system.

On a brighter note, however, is that I believe the entire machine is currently being redesigned. Not just updates to the old bike, but a completely new touring platform. I kinda expected it for 2008, but most folks thought they were gonna see the new VMax in 2008 also. Of course, there is no way Yamaha can publicly acknowledge that major changes like this are coming, or the sales of the current platform would completely dry up.

So, here's looking forward to the completely new Yamaha Touring platform in 2009! And maybe we can stop lamenting the lack of changes for 2008? Frankly, I'm pleased that the value of my bikes will remain up for at least another year.

Goose

Just my opinion here folks, but there is no chance at all that Yamaha will make any design changes to the current Royal Star Platform - it is just too old, and the design costs and attendant manufacturing changes will never be recovered. This bike is never going to get FI, or even a change to the audio system.

On a brighter note, however, is that I believe the entire machine is currently being redesigned. Not just updates to the old bike, but a completely new touring platform. I kinda expected it for 2008, but most folks thought they were gonna see the new VMax in 2008 also. Of course, there is no way Yamaha can publicly acknowledge that major changes like this are coming, or the sales of the current platform would completely dry up.

So, here's looking forward to the completely new Yamaha Touring platform in 2009! And maybe we can stop lamenting the lack of changes for 2008? Frankly, I'm pleased that the value of my bikes will remain up for at least another year.

Goose[/quote

I like your thinking, Goose!

Brian

Goose

"The value of my bike will remain up for at least another year"? I could only wish. Up here hardly anyone knows what an RSV is. You see countless Goldwings and Harleys, But I have yet to see another RSV here in the city since I bought mine in "04. My dealer only brings in one per year and it sits in the showroom until he has to blow it in the Fall sale. It just seems nobody wants them. :confused24: I know that's really going to hurt my resale value. They eventually sell, but I never see them around. Oh wait, I did see one around just last week--a beautiful silver '05--the same one that the Yamaha dealer sold 2 years ago. Where did I see this beautiful bike.......? In the Honda dealer's showroom. Was traded in on a Wing....:scratchchin: