IGNORED

No Spark at the plugs.

I came home from the M&E in Rockville Saturday evening parked the bike, I got on it this morning and it won't start. I have checked the fuses and the battery, I pulled #3 plug and grounded against the engine case,NO SPARK. The plug looks great nice and tan, no crud. It cranks just fine, I smell a little fuel, not bad. I'm a rookie so please be patient with me and tell me where to start looking. I'm going to go to town and get 4 new plugs while I working on it. Just when we get cooler weather, this stinks!!:think:

OK there are a couple of possibilities, and you're not gonna like it. First, there is a connector for the pickup coils that can become corroded. The pickup coils are located in the stator cover, and the connector is about halfway up along the rear section of the main frame. The second possibility is the TCI has bit the big one. Good luck with a replacement as they are geting harder and harder to find on ebay and are geting around $100 or so lately. The TCI is located underneith the battery box bolted to the bottom of the coil mounting frame. Also, the connectors on the TCI can become coroded but usually only kills one cylander but caqn incapicitate everything.

If the kill switch or also the kickstand switch are bad I don't think the starter will even turn over...

The 93 does not use a TCI. 90-93 use a computerized ignition. It only has one pick up coil.

So a bad connection or bad pick up coil will shut the whole thing down as opposed to the TCI which has four separate functional units.

Hope for a bad connection because used parts for the 90+ system seem to be unobtanium.

The 93 does not use a TCI. 90-93 use a computerized ignition. It only has one pick up coil.

So a bad connection or bad pick up coil will shut the whole thing down as opposed to the TCI which has four separate functional units.

Hope for a bad connection because used parts for the 90+ system seem to be unobtanium.

My manual for the '93 shows 4 coils????

My manual for the '93 shows 4 coils????

Four ignition coils. It only has one pick up coil, and it's in by the alternator. The manual may refer to it as a pulse coil or pulse generator.

Also, your manual is probably the 86 manual with addendums in the front for later changes. They're little short chapters and they don't repeat themselves. So you have to look at the '90 addendum to see the changes to the ignition system.

If you had an old fashioned analog meter, or a dwell meter, you may be able to see if there is output from the pickup coil. An oscilloscope will also accomplish this. A digital voltmeter just doesn't have fast enough response time to see it. You can check for continuity though. If it has normal DC resistance reading, then it is probably OK as long as it hasn't lost ground on the one side.

Sounds more and more like a bad TCI. Make sure you have 12 volts coming into the ignition control unit...

Four ignition coils. It only has one pick up coil, and it's in by the alternator. The manual may refer to it as a pulse coil or pulse generator.

Also, your manual is probably the 86 manual with addendums in the front for later changes. They're little short chapters and they don't repeat themselves. So you have to look at the '90 addendum to see the changes to the ignition system.

By bad. I thought you were refering to the ignition coils instead of the pick up assembly. My parts manual is for the '93...

3UF-81670-00-00 Pickup Assembly

Hey guys,

Thanks a bunch for all the help, Dan Just left here about 11:00pm, 99% sure that it is the pick up coil, I going to do a mad search for one. I will keep you all updated.

Again Thanks and I hope I can be of some help to you all one day!!:fingers-crossed-emo

Did you check all the fuse holders, to make sure good contact to the fuses ??

Use volt meter on both sides of all the fuses. Sometimes they look good, but are not.

Did you check for voltage to the supply pin of the TCI ?? It has to go thru the Ignition switch, then the 15 amp ignition fuse, then thru the run stop switch, then to the supply pin of the TCI.

there is also, a black wire in the Large 8 pin plug at the TCI, make sure it is actually getting a ground: ( use your ohm meter, and volt meter to do the checking )

The same 15 amp ignition fuse also feeds voltage to the fuel pump.

Question: Do all the other electrical systems work normally?? lights, horn, fuel pump, Air pump system, radio's cb etc ??

Is there anything else that does not work properly ??? looking for a clue here !

Yes everything tested out except for the pick up coil, it read 0 ohms,

the fuel pump, lights, fuses, primary & secondary coils OK the kick stand checked ok on resistance open & closed, we took the kill switch housing apart and cleaned with contact cleaner, But we did not bypass or jumper it, do I need to? if so how.

So far the cheapist I can find a pickup coil is 275.00 does anybody have one or know a cheap place to look.

:nanner:

Yes everything tested out except for the pick up coil, it read 0 ohms,

the fuel pump, lights, fuses, primary & secondary coils OK the kick stand checked ok on resistance open & closed, we took the kill switch housing apart and cleaned with contact cleaner, But we did not bypass or jumper it, do I need to? if so how.

So far the cheapist I can find a pickup coil is 275.00 does anybody have one or know a cheap place to look.

I just ran into this on Ebay. #120442357130 It's off a 2005RSV but I bet it's the same pickup assembly??? I'd ask around to see if the thing is interchangable with the one from a 1stGen, but even if no one knows, for $20 bucks it's worth a shot....

I just ran into this on Ebay. #120442357130 It's off a 2005RSV but I bet it's the same pickup assembly??? I'd ask around to see if the thing is interchangable with the one from a 1stGen, but even if no one knows, for $20 bucks it's worth a shot....

We cross referenced it last night. Only the 90-93 Ventures and the V-Max (from around then) to 2007 have the same part number.

We cross referenced it last night. Only the 90-93 Ventures and the V-Max (from around then) to 2007 have the same part number.

It may be nothing more than the plug being different... maybe more?? But for $20 bucks I think it'd be worth the gamble.... but that's just me, you can do what you want. If it doesn't work you're not out a lot, but if it does you'll save a ton.

A 2Gen Pickup Coil will NOT work in later 1Gen or Vmax. The electrical Values are different. This has been tested to no avail.

So what you're saying Squeeze, is that it's electrically powered?? I thought it would be more of a fixed magnet trigger, and really not a coil at all, but then again I've never had one in the palm of my hand. I have installed tach sensors that read pulses off flywheel teeth, and that's all they are. A magnet that creates a variable pulse that's read by the tach processor. I guess I'll keep my mouth shut until I actually capture one, and can tear it apart.

Jack, I'm not saying the Coils ar electrically powered, but there are real Coils inside and they have different Resistances and therefore, produce different Voltage Values while the Trigger Areas pass the Coil.

Ok I got parts coming, I have three salvage yard replies. Ordered gaskets for Parts Shark. All should be here first part of next week. I have her tore all the down, I tested both wires from the coil block to the connector ends, no breaks in the wiring, and still no ohms thru the pick up coil.

Page 7-31, of service manual-- If you have not seen this--

At 5 pin connector ( Black, White/Red, Orange, White/Green and Gray wires )

Measure--- Pidkup coil resistance-

Use --- Ohm meter ---

Pickup Coil Resistance: (( For bikes up to 89 )) Not sure if this is good for 90 to 93 !!!!

Read 93.5 to 126.5 Ohms, wire to wire--

Black to Orange --- Black to Gy --- Black to White/Green --- Black to White/Red ---

Also, be sure to Inspect that Plug between pickups, and the TCI !!!! Make sure the Male and female pins are makeing a good tight electrical contact!!!

Make sure the Crimps on the pins, have not come loose from the wires!! Tug Tug on each wire, to make sure it does not pull out. Apply WD-40 and compressed air, there might be corrosion, at the crimp points.

Have you inspected, the Plugs, going " TO " and " From " the Rectifyer/Regulator Unit ?????

Have you Inspected the RED Battery Cable, " under " the Battery Box, Fwd, Left Corner, where the Cable pass's thru the Frame member's ?? A very tight fit there, the RED Cable, Insulation might be worn thru there. This has happened to a couple of folks.

Have you Removed the Bolt, that Grounds, the NEG Bat Cable to the Right Fwd, corner of the Engine, by the water Pump??? A HIGH RESISTANCE GROUND HERE, WILL EFFECT THE ENTIRE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM !!! Remove and clean, !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my part from STOCKERS in Chula Vista CA, today and Guess what? They sent Me THE WRONG _ _ _ _ing Part.:thumbdown:It was a pickup coil for a 1989 or later model. I ordered this on June30th and they told me they would ship it out the next day, and I got it 15days later, UPS. BULL HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!! I called them immediately and they said that they tought all Ventures were the same. Box it up and return it to us and if I don't have one, I will refund your Money.

I don't know how much more of this I can take. I will go and order a new one tomorrow from parts shark for $277.02 plus S/H.:crying: