IGNORED

first gen engine cases clean ?

6m459

Hi,

What do folks use to keep the visible portions of the first gen engine cases clean and presentable looking?

I have cleaned mine on occasion but its a job I don't like much, so they get pretty dirty each time before I'll do it again. They are very grimey at the moment. Generally, I use soap and water and a tooth brush. I have used carb & brake parts spary cleaners but my conscience nags me about environmental issues.

Is there an easier & safer way?

Spray on, hose off & go for a ride is the kind of thing I had in mind. I don't think she'd like the pressuer washer though. What's the best way?

Thanks,

Brian H.

Look at Wallyworld and Dollar General for a product called "Awesome". It's cheap, non-toxic and works great. I have used it for years. Just spray it on, let it sit a few minutes, and hose it off.

Edit: I don't know if you have those stores in Canada...do you?

Ive got a leak on my G1 85 and Ive used simple green to clean everything on the bike. I spray the pipes, paint , and just about everything that can get dirty or oily. It is sposed to be environmentally friendly. just spray it on and wait for a bit and hose it off.

brian

Look at Wallyworld and Dollar General for a product called "Awesome". It's cheap, non-toxic and works great. I have used it for years. Just spray it on, let it sit a few minutes, and hose it off.

Edit: I don't know if you have those stores in Canada...do you?

"Dollar Tree" has this for a buck a bottle. Works pretty good. If they have gone beyond this you are going to have to get out the "Elbow Grease"

I have tried Simple Green in the past but was disappointed.

You really spray, wait and hose ? How long do you wait?

I 've been to visit my locall Wally to look for some Awesome to try out. No luck.

I have wondered about EasyOff oven cleaner but then my conscience kicks in again.

I wound up using this stuff from a local farm equipment store.

It worked OK but I still had to use the toothbrush to shift the worst of it. It left a greasy mark on my driveway where the run off had been flowing under the bike so it must have been shifting it! Ironically when I got the bottle home and read the fine print, it said "don't use on glass or motorcycles". Odd combo so I pressed on and all seems good. I kept it off the plastic. Some of the clear coat on the engine covers seems a bit more yellow than I remember but WTF, she's no beauty queen.

Thanks for the tips, keep them coming.

Brian H.

Edited by 6m459
update info

• 2 months later...