IGNORED

1st generation frame rust?

Motorhead

I'm looking to buy an older Venture, most likely 1st generation as the prices seem right for my budget. I've just learned about the 2nd gear problems and come to accept the fact that I may have to fix this on my future bike. Now I'm hearing about the frames rusting and breaking in half...Makes me a little nervous to say the least.

How common is this rust problem, and am I mistaken in assuming California bikes may not be as prone to it with the weather we have? How do I check it (can I?) before paying good money for a bike that's about to split...?

Thanks,

John

I'm looking to buy an older Venture, most likely 1st generation as the prices seem right for my budget. I've just learned about the 2nd gear problems and come to accept the fact that I may have to fix this on my future bike. Now I'm hearing about the frames rusting and breaking in half...Makes me a little nervous to say the least.

How common is this rust problem, and am I mistaken in assuming California bikes may not be as prone to it with the weather we have? How do I check it (can I?) before paying good money for a bike that's about to split...?

Thanks,

John

Hi John.

First off, it, as i understand the problem, is not a rust problem but a design defect and dosen't seem to affect all bikes. I am reparing mine now and i see no rust. We are going to just weld mine back together and add a couple of gussets.

The frame dosent "break in half" but tears where the monoshock lower arms attatch to the frame.

I'm not sure; but i think it, like the second gear problem, only affects the 83-85 models. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

They are great bikes.

Just my 2 cents.............

Hey John,

What year bike are you looking at? This makes a difference with the frame as, I don't believe, the frame thing went past the 83 model year......correct me if I'm wrong someone. As for the 2nd gear thing.....as fixit said......it is only with the 83 through 85 models and I'm not 100% sure the 85 can be included in that. They may have fixed it for the 85s.

Yes, it is only the 83's that have the frame problem. Mine broke @92Kmiles, and I purchased an 84 frame to replace (BTW, this is a big, time consuming job!!). The 84 frame was re-designed where the mono-shock and the center stand attach. It was made of heavier gauge steel, and had a couple of gussets added. It seems that Yammie must have discovered this in testing, but not in time for the 83's.

The 2nd gear issue is for all of the 83, 84 and part of 85 production. I don't know where I put the service bulletin that tells what S/N is the dividing point in 85 production, but I'm sure you can find it on this site somewhere if you are considering an 85.

The good news......the 83-85's are 50# lighter and the 1200's have hotter camshafts, so top end power is higher. If you wind them up, the 1200's are faster than 1300's. However, you have to shift a bit more on the 1200 bikes.

Mine is a titled 84, but the manuf. tag on right bottom rail gives "born-on" date of 10/83. I wonder if I've got the frame upgrade? Any way to tell from visual inspection?

Dan

You just have an early '84. They start building the next model year late in the year. I've run into a couple of '84's that were actually registered as '83's.

Yes, it is only the 83's that have the frame problem. Mine broke @92Kmiles, and I purchased an 84 frame to replace (BTW, this is a big, time consuming job!!). The 84 frame was re-designed where the mono-shock and the center stand attach. It was made of heavier gauge steel, and had a couple of gussets added. It seems that Yammie must have discovered this in testing, but not in time for the 83's.

The 2nd gear issue is for all of the 83, 84 and part of 85 production. I don't know where I put the service bulletin that tells what S/N is the dividing point in 85 production, but I'm sure you can find it on this site somewhere if you are considering an 85.

The good news......the 83-85's are 50# lighter and the 1200's have hotter camshafts, so top end power is higher. If you wind them up, the 1200's are faster than 1300's. However, you have to shift a bit more on the 1200 bikes.

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the damaged area would you? Is there any way to visually inspect this spot (without taking the whole bike apart) before buying a bike? How did you notice your problem?

I am aware of the quickness of the 1200's, which is the main reason I'm looking at them:) (besides price of course).

Thanks

John

Hi John.

First off, it, as i understand the problem, is not a rust problem but a design defect and dosen't seem to affect all bikes. I am reparing mine now and i see no rust. We are going to just weld mine back together and add a couple of gussets.

The frame dosent "break in half" but tears where the monoshock lower arms attatch to the frame.

I'm not sure; but i think it, like the second gear problem, only affects the 83-85 models. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

They are great bikes.

Just my 2 cents.............

Thanks, that sound a little better than 'splitting in half' .... I'm not familiar with these bikes and I'm wondering if this area is visible without any dismantling of the bike? I'd like to take a peek at least before buying...

How hard is it to get in there to weld it as a preventive measure?

Thanks

John

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the damaged area would you? Is there any way to visually inspect this spot (without taking the whole bike apart) before buying a bike? How did you notice your problem?

I am aware of the quickness of the 1200's, which is the main reason I'm looking at them:) (besides price of course).

Thanks

John

Look up from under the bike, on the left side. Check this out, it is in the Tech Library

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1521

The last thing I want to do is steal a thread,but since we are talking about frame work on 83's.Has there been any recalls in the past on the frames?like the goldwings.If so can we check by vin#? for history.

I asked the local dealer and he said I don't know.:confused24:

buddy

The last thing I want to do is steal a thread,but since we are talking about frame work on 83's.Has there been any recalls in the past on the frames?like the goldwings.If so can we check by vin#? for history.

buddy

Not that I am aware of on frames, but you can run a VIN check on any warranty fixes, at the dealer. I did it last year on my 83.

buddy

No recalls...but there were some '83's that had the frame replaced under warranty. My '83 had the frame replaced.

Good Pics. These should be added to tech Library with Randya's pics of broken frame. Mine never came apart unless it was off center stand and when I was trying to work on it leg was not strong enough to get it up and down to check it. Now it is waiting on me to find time to get to it. I'm still thinking about welding. Need to compare those pics to see where to add steel.