I found a set of driving lights for my Venture on EBAY - Alecks Power Sports in Erie Pa. In the ORIGINAL Yamaha kit is a push button switch. Does anybody use this switch or should I just cut it out and let them come on with the ignition switch ??

Any downside to doing it that way ??

Also - the instructions say something about an aux DC terminal on the left side of the fairing - can't find it ??>::

Switch and fuse STRAIGHT to the Battery... Why you say? You can have a total electrical failure at 10:30pm going 70 mph down the road and calmly reach over and hit the AUXILIARY Lighting (Passing Lamps or whatever else you want to call them). YES "IF" you accidentally leave them on it will kill your battery.

If you search you can find some post here about Platinum Burners from WallyWorld for less than $16.00 and Chrome with complete wiring and "Lighted Switch" & fuse. I'm not cheap... I'm frugal...

2 cents...

Edited by frogmaster
spelling

Adventure.

You can do that but it puts a real heavy load on an already overloaded ignition switch. Here's a rundown on what I did.

I used the Yamaha lights, but threw out the push button switch. It is a cheap, low apm switch, (You do need one though.) so I picked up a 15A toggle switch and rubber boot to cover the switch handle from my local Carquest dealer. (Most any parts store will have this.) I mounted the switch right beside the aux socket on the left side of the inside fairing. (You have to drill a hole for it.)

I also got a 30 amp light relay and pulled a new fused (20A fuse, 12ga wire) circut from my battery to run the lights. ( I put this under the fairing.) I tapped into the low beam circuit to energise the relay to make the lights come on. You can use any circuit that shuts off with the key, but I wanted the passing lamps to burn only while the low beam was on. It works great and other than having to replace the relay once, I haven't had a bit of trouble. :thumbsup:

Good luck with it.

Adventure.

You can do that but it puts a real heavy load on an already overloaded ignition switch. Here's a rundown on what I did.

I used the Yamaha lights, but threw out the push button switch. It is a cheap, low apm switch, (You do need one though.) so I picked up a 15A toggle switch and rubber boot to cover the switch handle from my local Carquest dealer. (Most any parts store will have this.) I mounted the switch right beside the aux socket on the left side of the inside fairing. (You have to drill a hole for it.)

I also got a 30 amp light relay and pulled a new fused (20A fuse, 12ga wire) circut from my battery to run the lights. ( I put this under the fairing.) I tapped into the low beam circuit to energise the relay to make the lights come on. You can use any circuit that shuts off with the key, but I wanted the passing lamps to burn only while the low beam was on. It works great and other than having to replace the relay once, I haven't had a bit of trouble. :thumbsup:

Good luck with it.

I just completed the PROJECT - Yamaha put spacers in the kit so I think I can get the outer fairing off when I need to.

I went ahead and wired into the lighting circuit, left the switch in line and on but didn't mount it. It's wire tied in the fairing. I believe I'll get a relay and put it in - it makes a lot of sense but I want the lights to burn constant.

Thanks for the help & info

I just completed the PROJECT - Yamaha put spacers in the kit so I think I can get the outer fairing off when I need to.

I went ahead and wired into the lighting circuit, left the switch in line and on but didn't mount it. It's wire tied in the fairing. I believe I'll get a relay and put it in - it makes a lot of sense but I want the lights to burn constant.

Thanks for the help & info

If you want the lights on whenever the switch is on, use your test light to find a circuit that is hot when the ignition switch is on. It does not have to be a large amp circuit because the relay uses very little amprage to energize it. if you dont use the AUX socket for anything more than a phone charger is would work, but it may blow the fuse if you put anything heavier in it while the lights are on.

It's kind of funny I saw this post today. Last night the cheap plastic switch that came with Yamaha light kit broke. I split the faring and by-passed the switch by cutting the wires to the switch and splicing them together. Is this OK to do, or should I replace the switch. I'm leaving for a 4 day trip tomarrow and just wanted the lights working. Thanks for the help guys. :think:

BigD

You will want to keep some type of switch in the circuit. If you eventually install heated clothing controls, there may be times you will need to turn the lights off to prevent draining the battery.

Also, the DC outlet is in the fairing, clutch side, at the bottom of the fairing. You can't see it from the top. Put your head down by the shifter and look up. You will see it. It has a black plastic hinged cover on it.

RR

Well, I like to turn mine on and off for different reasons so I like having a switch connected to the circuit but a lot of people just have them connected to the headlight circuit.

Do use a relay though, will save the ignition switch in the long run.

I use the kill switch to turn the lights on and off with.

I also have my lights adjusted a little high so I can see down the road at night but they are so high they blind oncoming traffic so I like to turn them off when meeting traffic.

Good Luck,

BOO

I took it all apart today and put a 12v relay in and left the switch in the system. All I need to do now is put it on the lift adapter and get the lights adjusted right.

Thanks for all the help - and thanks Freebird for posting the link for the wiring diagram for the relay.:thumbsup:

Well, I like to turn mine on and off for different reasons so I like having a switch connected to the circuit but a lot of people just have them connected to the headlight circuit.

Do use a relay though, will save the ignition switch in the long run.

I use the kill switch to turn the lights on and off with.

I also have my lights adjusted a little high so I can see down the road at night but they are so high they blind oncoming traffic so I like to turn them off when meeting traffic.

I really wish I could adjust my passing lights! They give me a real bright spot on the road about 30' ahead of me, and a lot of good that does. :headache: There is no adjustment to them at all. The passing lights are attached to the top of a bracket with the turn signals sticking out the bottom. I can only suspect these are Yamaha factory lights. BTW there is a small toggle switch sticking out of the rear of the left one. It turns the passing lights off and on. If that switch is on, the passing lights come on when the ignition switch is turned on. I have no idea (yet) how they are wired, but I like the idea of a relay and running them straight from the battery.

I really wish I could adjust my passing lights! They give me a real bright spot on the road about 30' ahead of me, and a lot of good that does. :headache: There is no adjustment to them at all. The passing lights are attached to the top of a bracket with the turn signals sticking out the bottom. I can only suspect these are Yamaha factory lights. BTW there is a small toggle switch sticking out of the rear of the left one. It turns the passing lights off and on. If that switch is on, the passing lights come on when the ignition switch is turned on. I have no idea (yet) how they are wired, but I like the idea of a relay and running them straight from the battery.

When I put the relay in mine, I powered the relay (with a fuse) off the aux power (Cigarette Lighter) and grounded the switch to the system ground. Everything was soldered & taped with the exception of the blade connectors on the relay. For a nicer job, some shrink tubing would have been nice.

If your lights are like mine, you can loosen the bolt that holds the lights to the cross bar and the lights will pivot up/down and side to side. Pretty crude way to adjust them but it can be done.

BOO