IGNORED

K&L Supply Co makes Yamaha Tools

RandyR

Here's the company that makes the Yamaha special tools.

http://www.klsupply.com/COMPANYINFO/tabid/58/Default.aspx

They use different part numbers than Yamaha, and only sell wholesale.

For instance, the 1stGen/2ndGen valve shim tool is part # K&L Supply 35-3462, which is the same as YM-33961 or 90890-04105

Here's a web site that sells the valve shim tool.

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/VALVE_SHIM_TOOL_YAMAHA_XVZ13__P11156.cfm

At $75, I think its a rip off. A little more research may show up a tool at a more reasonable price, say $15. I don't know what a Yamaha Dealer would charge, and the online parts sources I've looked at didn't list this part.

btw, I found an Adobe .pdf document with pictures of various Yamaha special tools .

http://www.oldbikebarn.com/ has the valve shim tool for $38.41. I have ordered one and anyone can borrow it, once I have received it.

Old Bike Barn lists this tool as being for the XV1300 and VMax and Venture.

It appears that this is the correct tool for the 2nd Gen machines as well, unless I've gotten confused in the process.

There was some previous discussion about the SECA tool working. According to both the web sites I checked the SECA tool (also used on the XS1100) looks the same, but is different than the Ventures.

Edited by RandyR

The Sudco catalog, which contains lots of parts and accessories for motorcycles lists a valve shim tool for the XVZ1300/vmax. The picture of their tool looked different than the OEM tool, so I sent an email to Sudco, and they promptly answered that this is a misprint in their catalog, and they do not have a valve shim tool for the XVZ1300.

Too bad, it was only $16.

• 3 weeks later...

Rod,

I don't have the one I ordered yet, and haven't done a valve adjustment on my bike yet either. But the tool uses a camming action to push down the valve lifters, so its not round. I suppose if you used a grinder and polisher it might be possible to make one out of a thick socket. Or maybe weld a ramp/cam onto the outside of the socket. At that level of labor, most people would just spend the $38.

If you want to try to fabricate your own, I'll ship you the tool I'm getting so you can mic it.

I'm attaching a picture of the shim tool from the first year machines. It is a different tool, but I expect would work on ours also. It uses a lever to depress the tappets. This might be easier to fabricate or emulate.

• 5 months later...

I'm looking for a place to buy the valve shim tool for less than $70-80.

Anyone here have luck getting the $34 tool mentioned in this thread. Oldbikebarn doesn't have it listed anymore. Justav.com has it listed but the site looks a little sketchy. If someone has had good experience with Justav.com then I'll go for it.

I sell the K&L tool in my store. With the VentureRider discount (15%) it's $48.31. Enter the discount code VentureRider at checkout. K&L tools are not cheap but they are first quality.

XVZ Valve Shim Tool

By the way, if anyone needs a tool (or part) from the catalog in the first post just let me know and I'll add it to the store.

**EDIT 2/4/10**

Unfortunately my cost on the tool went up 35% Jan.1, 2010. The new price (with discount) is $65.68. I know that's outrageous, but K&L seems to be the only place to get them.

Edited by MiCarl

Any tools to make a brake job easier in regards to pushing the pistons back? I have read the tech articles and even talked to a local mechanic. I did it a few months back and it was a PITA pushing them back.

I haven't put the bike on the stand yet to check for uneven pad wear which from my understanding a potential sign of a botched brake job and needing a caliper to be rebuilt.

Thanks

The rear pads on the 2nd gens will wear unevenly and probably should be rotated every 5,000 miles or so. Its just the (poor) way Yamaha designed them, not an indication (necessarily) that parts need replacing.

Why do you think its a poor design by Yamaha? I've found the rear break to be more than adequate. The wear on the pads seems "normal" to me, and after 45,000 miles, the rotors are still fine. Just wondering...