IGNORED

ticking noise

Hey all, I'm new to the yamaha venture and so far the wife and I love the bike, the question I have is after doing the 600 mi. oil change using 15w-40w rotella the engine has some valve ticking on cold start up then goes away in about a minute. Is this a normal thing on this engine, or do I just have a valve set a little loose, oh yeah the bike is an 09. Thanks for the help.

WELCOME,

Shell Rotella 5w-40 SYNTHETIC... 'What Tick" since 600mi now nearly 5,000 miles.

Seriously did this happen with Factory Yamalube before 600mi? If so replace with Yamalube and get back to Dealer for Warranty Work. The Yamalube is classified as a SEMI-SYNTHETIC and then you went pure DINO maybe go other way pure SYN.

Keep us posted & WELOCME

I got my scoot with 1300 kilometers on it. It had the 600 mile service (965 km). I changed the oil out to Amsoil Synthetic 10w50. Engine seemed ok but I didn't have much to compare to as I hadn't ridden it much by then. At about 7500 km (summer warmer weather arriving) I changed to Amsoil 20w50 synthetic. Engine seemed noisier and the clutch whine seemed noisier. Changed it out to Rotella T. I get a bit of tappet click when cold start but it doesn't last long and once warmed up, the engine is quieter and the clutch whine isn't quite as bad. I figgure the "tappets" are purposely set a little "loose" from factory for break-in and when the next service is due (I think around 16000 km), the tappets are supposed to be set and I figgure then there will be no clicking.

• 5 years later...
Hey all, I'm new to the yamaha venture and so far the wife and I love the bike, the question I have is after doing the 600 mi. oil change using 15w-40w rotella the engine has some valve ticking on cold start up then goes away in about a minute. Is this a normal thing on this engine, or do I just have a valve set a little loose, oh yeah the bike is an 09. Thanks for the help.

I was getting the same ticking noise on cold starts running Yamalube 20w-50. The local Yamaha dealer suggested going to 10w-40. I changed it out this past friday with 10w-40 and the cold start tick is gone.

I also noticed some other things being "better" now with the 10w-40 but I want to see if this is the placebo effect.

Jay

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the oil filter? Anti backflow valve bleeding down after she sat a while. I had a roadstar that was bad about cold engine noise due to all the oil draining down after sitting a while. Roadstarclinic.com gave several options / brands that worked. Changed filters and no more noise.

My 2 cents worth.

Bill

Is it safe to say if I don't have ticking on start up then I don't need to check the valves this winter? Bike is a '99 RSV with 37K miles and the previous owner said he never had the valves adjusted, he got it with 4k miles on the clock.