I have an 84 VR and am not happy with the hot starting issue. Changed the cables and using an Odyssey battery. It has never NOT started but sometimes makes me nervous. Can someone tell me what years of the V-Max would fit?

Wayne

I have an 84 VR and am not happy with the hot starting issue. Changed the cables and using an Odyssey battery. It has never NOT started but sometimes makes me nervous. Can someone tell me what years of the V-Max would fit?

Wayne

I believe all of the V-max starters will fit but if I remember correctly the 95 up has the 4-brush starters that use the voltage more efficiently and are desired.

Dick

Hey Wiz....

Have you looked at your current starter yet? My '84 was bear to start let alone once it got hot. I took mine off and ended up replacing the brushes, cleaning up the armature and a little lube to the bushings and it has not given be a moment of grief since. It's instant start every time hot of cold. And yes I have the 4ga cables to with a Deka AGM battery.

Far cheaper than replacing it. Take a look before you make up your mind.

I also added the upgrade stator later on and that will keep the battery in top shape but not needed for starting unless the old stator is just not doing it's job for the battery.

Mike

I have the upgraded stator and I like the charging rate. Battery is up to snuff all the time. I think I could even add more lights:thumbsup2:

I was just thinking about the better starter that came on the V-Max for piece of mind. I think I will have a look though before I do that. Maybe cleaning and new brushes will solve it.

Thanks for the info.

Wayne

Have you check the Resistance Across the Solinoid ?? Disconnect the Bat cables, from the solinoid, put OHM meter across the heavy contacts, actuate the solinoid, and measure the Resistance.

Been a few reports of those solinoids, haveing crispy Fried contacts. Extra resistance drops a lot of voltage to the starter.

Surely until the engine starts, the stator output potential is academic.

Brian H.

Not acedemic if stator isn't keeping the battery hot while the engine is running. I had same issue and found out ultimately that I had a bad Odysee battery under warranty. Vendor replaced battery and problem went away. Starter solenoids are common failures. They don't seem to be very reliable.

Wayne

i have the V max 4 brush starter , it is great ! i tryed the bigger cables , new battery ,

even charged the battery at nite , change all but head lite to led , even rebuilt my stock

starter nothing worked untill i got a vmax starter . i've had it for 9 mo's now and never

a problem .

Thom

p s , when i bought it i asked for a 86 4 brush vmax starter , cost me 89 bucks , it is a

after market , i think a API ?

Thanks guys.

I have tested the selenoid and it is fine. The bike actually starts fine all the time but slower when hot. Now with the Odyssey and if I remember to turn off the highway lights it is better than it use to be. Just thinking the V-Max will put it to rest.

Wayne

Thanks Thom:

I like that idea and will look into it.

Wayne

Hey Mike (Snaggletooth):

I like the color of yours too. I really like the look of the 87 scoop on yours. I've been watching fleabay for one of those. That year the color matches. I already have the front engine guards so it would be easy to bolt on. Looks like we have pretty much the same bumper. Are your brake lights LED?

Wayne