IGNORED

83 Venture Royal

rickvo

I found what looks like a bike in excellent condition, 100K (60 miles). I have never owned a touring bike like this. I am ready to go look at it, listed at $3700 Canadian. Can you help me out here?

The '83s had two flaws, bad frame at the rear shock, and a 2nd gear problem. Part of me wants to say keep looking for an '84 or even better an '86 up. It could turn out to be a good bike, though. Ask if 2nd gear was ever fixed, and if the frame was reinforced...

I know that I've heard that these things bring higher prices in Canada but that just sounds high to me. In the USA, you could find an '83 MUCH cheaper than that and you could pick up an '86-'90 for about that price or less with much lower miles. I really can't say if that is a good price in Canada or not because I'm just not up on the prices there.

I found what looks like a bike in excellent condition, 100K (60 miles). I have never owned a touring bike like this. I am ready to go look at it, listed at $3700 Canadian. Can you help me out here?

Just about 60,000 miles is where a '83 will start popping out of second gear when you put some rpm's and load on it. I had a '83 and did upgrade the transmission because 2nd gear is my favorite gear. The transmission upgrade is a big job to do yourself, or an expensive one to have someone do for you. In need of a transmision would not necessarily be a deal breaker if the price were right for me, the tall seat was the reason I sold mine.

Joe

I know that I've heard that these things bring higher prices in Canada but that just sounds high to me. In the USA, you could find an '83 MUCH cheaper than that and you could pick up an '86-'90 for about that price or less with much lower miles. I really can't say if that is a good price in Canada or not because I'm just not up on the prices there.

I'm with Don on this one. $3700Cd is a lot of money for any '83. One in good clean condition with the second gear fixed will bring $1800-$2000US. But after talking to Brian.. Friesman.. about what 1stGen-VR's are bringing in Canada, I'm shocked!!

I bought my 83 last year, and granted the old girl was in rough shape (86+k km)... but I paid $1500. True, I found out that the 2nd gear was out of it after the deal was done, but I don't regret it. A little TLC, new rubber, and it moves me around just fine.

I would certainly have a lower price in mind and be willing to walk away if it is not accepted. No harm in trying. Good luck ! There are other bikes out there.

Send me a PM if you are interested.. my neighbour has a 86 for sale, I believe in that range.

Way too much.

2nd gear repair will cost you $2500US so reduce it by that if they cant prove it was fixed.

check for rear frame tearing by the rear shock, any crack is BAD and needs fixing now.

Have they replaced the springs in the forks? Those need it every 15,000 miles.

if everything is perfect, I would not pay more than $2100CDN unless it has expensive custom paint on it.

Way too much.

2nd gear repair will cost you $2500US so reduce it by that if they cant prove it was fixed.

Wow, when I did mine about 10 years ago, I spent $28. That was for gaskets and oil. I put 60,000 more miles on it after I did it with no jumping in 2nd.

And, this was with running it pretty hard thru 2nd and also pulling a 450 lb camper thru the mountains.

RandyA

Wow, when I did mine about 10 years ago, I spent $28. That was for gaskets and oil. I put 60,000 more miles on it after I did it with no jumping in 2nd.

And, this was with running it pretty hard thru 2nd and also pulling a 450 lb camper thru the mountains.

RandyA

That's dealer prices to get it fixed, and that was the lowest price I could find. One locally said $4800.00 and 2 months, I think that was a "our mechanics are not that good, go away" price.

That's dealer prices to get it fixed, and that was the lowest price I could find. One locally said $4800.00 and 2 months, I think that was a "our mechanics are not that good, go away" price.

Tim, I would say you are correct.

Actually, I wish I had spent a little more, as at that time I did not have access to this amount of knowledge and the local Yamaha shop was totally clueless about this, so I did the undercut on the gears, flipped the thrust washers over, straightened the forks and put it back together. After 60,000 miles I was beginning to get a rattle when the bike was sitting on the sidestand. By this time I had picked up an 86 engine that had sat out in the weather with no carbs, but the gears were fine and I switched everything over.

It has done great ever since.

RandyA

I too would be amazed if that bike landed 3700 in Canada.. 1800 would seem more in the neighborhood of an asking price.. I popped second on my 84 while drag racing a buddy on his V65, that was at 40k. Being lazy and having lots of other projects to screw with, the kids and I dumped another 154k on her while short shifting her all over the country.. Now its my parts bike for my 83..

Speaking about a rattle while on the side stand.. My 84 did that for many years and I never bothered to dig it out.. I always guessed it had something to do with slop in the clutch mechanics - anyone have a clue??

'Puc

Speaking about a rattle while on the side stand.. My 84 did that for many years and I never bothered to dig it out.. I always guessed it had something to do with slop in the clutch mechanics - anyone have a clue??

'Puc

It is the slop in the gears due to the worn thrust washer allowing the sides of the gears to touch when leaning over.

RandyA

Actually you guys, the price isnt that far out of line for my part of Canada, so maybe his area will be the same even though we are just about as far apart as LA and New York. There is an 85 sold last week almost identical to mine with bad 2nd gear and he got 3500 for it and it had 107kms on it (about 63ooo miles). MIne cost me 4k about a year and a half ago and mine had about 27000kms on it (good second gear, bad output gears, lol!)

i found another 85 $4000 65000miles http://www.usedregina.com/classified-ad/8226985

Who says we have free health care up here...lol!

Brian:mo money:

Edited by friesman

Makes me think. Sell them all? Makes me think but it will never happen. My retirement project is a "New" 83 frame all the chrome I need to dress it. I have all that waiting. Got to get them inside. Thinking of finding V-Max engine for it. V-Max rear. Don't really want Boost system just stronger heads and cams. Build it and get too old to ride it???