IGNORED

05 Venture Running way too lean.

Had it dyno'd and it is running way to lean up to 4k rpm. Above 4k starts running too rich. Having it rejetted and dyno tuned. Best on torque and hp was about 74 each. It ran like the harley I used to own. I expected more power and torque. Mech is rejetting and will let you know what the power difference is. My brother owns an '07 Venture so I will have something to compare with. Mech says I will walk off and leave him. Hope to gain significant power. Will not change pipes, loud pipes messes with my music listening. Has anyone put the performance jets and how well did the change work on the Venture.

My opinion its unnecessary. I had a friend that had his RSTD rejetted,He jumped me but never could get away from me..The guy that jetted his told him to get noticable power you need to get more air to it and it would be tough to do so without a bunch of mess hanging off the side. It shouldnt have any trouble eating Harleys as I havnt had one stay with me,yes Jump me on takeoff to 2nd gear but after 3rd its over with,Usually come out of 3rd around 90 if not mistaken. Wind it up!

That's about what they run at the rear wheel. The only thing you're going to find having him play with jets is that your wallet will fit into your pocket more easily. I hear you though. A 1300cc V4 engine should be making a lot more power than this one does.

The way it is running, I would lose against a 250 Honda Rebel in the 1/4 mile.:Bunny2:

I suspect you have WAYYYY more problems than rejetting..Ive run with too many and can see no difference other than they burn more fuel. Not trying to stir a pot but after having mine since new in 2004 I know what they run like and what rejetting does. Good Luck and keep us posted! Have him check coils,float levels ETC also.

Talked with him yesterday, the rejetting is calculated on the fuel/air mixture, not a performance mod. The level is determined by the dyno test. It has no power at low rpm's. It is a sick puppy. I am comparing it to the '07 my brother has. Will keep informed as to the changes and if it actually helps.

Jetting is good, but if you want to be able to use that power you have to get more air to it and get it out faster. Restriction is the biggest culprit, the bike may run better but a different exhaust to clear the cylinder faster is a good place to look at.

Had it dyno'd and it is running way to lean up to 4k rpm. Above 4k starts running too rich. Having it rejetted and dyno tuned. Best on torque and hp was about 74 each. It ran like the harley I used to own. I expected more power and torque. Mech is rejetting and will let you know what the power difference is. My brother owns an '07 Venture so I will have something to compare with. Mech says I will walk off and leave him. Hope to gain significant power. Will not change pipes, loud pipes messes with my music listening. Has anyone put the performance jets and how well did the change work on the Venture.

OK, I have resisted jumping in here 'cause anything I had to say was just negative. It's your bike and you get to spend your money however you want. But your recent posts seem to show a bad lack of understanding of your problem (whatever it might be). Please do not mistake the following comments - I am actually trying to be helpful. Honest!

In no particular order:

• You said your current jetting is turning your pipes blue - I have absolutely NO idea to what you may be referring, but frankly, that is IMPOSSIBLE on an RSV! You cannot even SEE any of the pipes on this bike unless you get under the bike, and those pipes are not chromed, so they cannot blue. All the chrome you see on the exhaust are heat shields that are held so far away from the actual pipes I think much of the aluminum in the engine would melt before they could ever get hot enough to blue.
  • You say you are comparing your bike to an 07 - fair enough; they are IDENTICAL. Let me repeat that - THEY ARE IDENTICAL. So if the 07 runs fine and yours does not, YOURS IS BROKE! Only someone with virtually no understanding of mechanics would attempt to rejet an engine that is not running correctly before he starts, so I would have serious doubts about the mechanic on whom you are wasting money.
  • If your bike has the stock jets in it and stock intake/exhaust, it CANNOT be running too lean from the jets (if indeed it is running lean at all), since no other RSV on earth runs significantly too lean in stock trim. Therefore, once again you are faced with overwhelming evidence that either your bike is broke or your mechanic is a dolt.
  • If your bike would loose anything to a 250, either it is BROKE, or you need to learn how to ride it. These bikes perform quite nicely, thank you.
  • Your original post about too lean up to 4,000 RPM, then too rich above that, suggests to me again that your mechanic may not be worth anything. DISCLAIMER HERE FIRST: I am NOT a carb expert, nor have I ever put any machine on a dyno. The following comment is based only on what I think from things I have read.

The idle circuit is the primary fuel feed to the engine up through a much higher RPM than most people think, so even up through 3,000 RPM you are not running completely off the main jets. Therefore, if you are already too rich when running totally off the main jets, just WHAT do you think you will accomplish by rejetting?????????

I am not going to try to diagnose your bike, since I am not sure just what I can believe for real symptoms. But I sure wouldn't be doing what you are doing. Do keep us posted. If I'm wrong on any of that, I'd like to know so I can quit being wrong. I wish you the best in getting it all sorted out.

Goose

I pretty much have to agree with V7Goose on this one. Unless you have made some pretty major changes to the air intakes and/or the exhaust, the jets are NOT what is causing your problem. I don't think even a change of the exhaust alone would cause the problems that you are seeing. Major air intake changes would be more likely. The fact is, if the bike is fairly close to stock, you are barking up the wrong tree and the only winner will be the mechanic who is charging you for the work.

1. I just bought this bike for cash.

2. Noticed a major problem due to comparing with another motorcycle.

3. There are places where you can see pipes without the shields covering them up.

4. Have over 1/4 million miles on motorcycles, trust dynos, especially when I see them being calibrated by the manufactor.

5. Worked as a motorcycle prototype test rider for an American Motorcycle company for 93 and 94.

6. Know when a motorcycle wants to die when it is not getting the correct fuel/air mixture when opening a throttle from the start.

7. Seen the data of calibrated diagnostic equipment. Allowed other trusted experienced riders test and we all came up with the same diagnosis. Lean issues or vacuum issues.

8. 16 Years experience in prototype and production level testing of 2 and 4 wheel vehicles and this puppy is sick. I know that the motorcycle is adjusted lean due to EPA standards and that within itself makes it a sick puppy. The 1300CC engine should be putting more torque and horsepower than a stock Harley. I just sold a stock Harley with 105k miles which I put on the bike in 3 1/2 years. I ride year round.

9. The mechanic knows more than you would guess and has more intelligent experience than all the dealer mechanics in the entire south. The bike fuel mixture is dangerously high because the manufacturer cares only about sales and passing EPA standards.

As far as the mech charging me, he has been way more fair than any other I've dealt with in a few years. The Harley got new rear tires on average 4 times a year. I was in shops alot trying to find quality and price value. The mech has a high rep in the area as a fair and reputable business.

As far as the mech charging me, he has been way more fair than any other I've dealt with in a few years. The Harley got new rear tires on average 4 times a year. I was in shops alot trying to find quality and price value. The mech has a high rep in the area as a fair and reputable business.

as a point of reference, when my 05 RSTD was new I had it dynoed and it came out 75hp/75ft-lbs, and it runs GREAT, don't think it is running lean, and certainly not cutting out or stalling at any rpm's. Don't know what your problems may be with the bike, but the power numbers seem right on.

This is very interesting. Please let us know what you find out. Lean and then too rich. I had a old Yamaha that did that years ago but can't remember what it was. Back when carbs had adjustment on them and I think someone just had them all out of wack. Might have been floats. Don't really remember but it was dumping more gas than it needed going down the road but ran fine at low speed. Let us know what you find out.

MY $.02

all just a matter of poor choice in words............... yes i think you do need jetting to solve your problem.....

no i don't think you need to re-jet to solve the problem............

whadaya mean mike???

you have jets that need to be cleaned to operate at peak performance..... ya got some junk in your carbs and your dyno dynamo tells you that you need jetting work.. and says that you need to "jet your ride"

go back to the well and you will find that everone here is correct in some way or another, and that you dyno dude is correct also........just need to get the language lingo in order.

if you don't plan to put performance exhaust or intake mods on your bike, let the dyno guy know this so that your not pissin your money away on kits that will make your wallet thinner, you mpg lower and your performance nill.

BUT ON ANOTHER NOTE!!! CHROME DOES MAKE EM FASTER!!!!:rasberry:

Got the work done, only the low idle jets were changed. The epa needle was adjusted. Barely ran with the enrichner pulled tight. Will now start with the bump of the starter and no enrichner. Cleaning of carbs, changing low idle jet settings, tweaking the carbs. Much greater starting power. Lost 3 hp and 2 ft/lb, possibly due to temp and high humidity. Throttle is instantaneous and crisp. $500 to take apart, clean, change, dyno, and dyno, and dyno. He still has the bike because I want a sirius satellite antenna installed under fiberglass of fairing. Shaking front end due to last person changed tire himself and bubble balanced, not spin balanced. Good changes on dyno curves. Very happy with response now. Can see and truely compare to the Hundred Dollar bike. I kept it stock, no new pipes or intakes. This will stay with stock pipes and intakes. It will be a good comparison. Working on finding a bluetooth xmitter which plugs into the headset plug on the bike so I can link every to a bluetooth headset. Learning and will let you know what I find out. New things are just now coming out.