IGNORED

busted drive shaft gear ?!!!! maybe

today being stupid I was hammering my 1st gen shifting to 2nd ( missed shift)

and lot of grinding started bottom left of engine. right where driveshaft goes to out put shaft, no matter what gear. limped home last 5 miles. the more throttle the more grind. grinds when under even slite pressure. put it on center stand all gears grind. what did i do? going to start pulling wheel off and pull drive shaft what am i looking for. big time sick at my stomach

:crying:

Possibly stripped the driveshaft at the u-joint, another possibility is that you stripped the middle gear. If the driveshaft is OK, then you'll have to remove the swingarm to check the middle gear.

If you're not sure nor if you have the tools to do that, load it up and bring it up here to the house and I'll help ya. I'm just off I-74 at exit 101 (Pleasant View). I'll be around Sunday or at nite during the week.

Dan

Possibly stripped the driveshaft at the u-joint, another possibility is that you stripped the middle gear. If the driveshaft is OK, then you'll have to remove the swingarm to check the middle gear.

Dan

Another possibility is the rear driveshaft & pumkin coupler teeth are shot. Like I previously, found on mine.

Sounds like your pinion gear, that is the gear that has the u joint attached to it. I had the same thing happen to mine, I was lucky, it was really chewed up, but the gear it meshed with was fine......not a hard fix, a lot easier than pulling the motor and replacing the tranny gears. I think I have some pics of it someplace, I will see if I can find them.

Edited by DragonRider

thanks for the help guys and gal!!! pics helped big time too! will be calling muffinman 9:00

dan thanks for invite but gonna try it here. I was so sick about it just had to walk away. may not have chance today to tear it down grandaughter here. dont need her help ( as good as she is )

This site is GREAT people here are GREAT, THANKS again

:bighug:

Working on getting Mike to snap a couple, if not we'll stop by there tomorrow (gotta ride right past his house!) and get some. #3 on middle gear page on parts fiche. Split right down the piece lengthwise.

I always thought these damper cams were supposed to rotate around separately from the pinion gear in case of undue stress on the final driveline. I guess that proves this theory wrong!

These pics were taken from outside the case, looking in where the u-joint/output pinion gear go into the case at the back left corner of the motor in case anyone was wondering.

Dan

I always thought these damper cams were supposed to rotate around separately from the pinion gear in case of undue stress on the final driveline. I guess that proves this theory wrong!

Dan

Usually, this Thing is working like it should. I think the Splines between the "Driven Cam" and the Tranny Putput Shaft are worn out to a Point where a sharp Operation on the Throttle or the from the rear Wheel (like locking) doesn't allow the "Driven Cam" to slip towards the Clutch Side. If there is no Slippage, the Cam can't uncouple the Forces and therefore something has to give up. In this Case, it was the "Driven Cam".

I never saw such a Damage before.

Even if you'd manage to pull the Tranny Shaft to left and Unlock the thrust Washer some how, you won't get the angled Gear out through the big Bearing Hole. You need to dismount the Engine and split the Case. NOT FUNNY, as you know !!

I'm sorry for being the Bearer of bad News, but in the End you can't polish S..t.