IGNORED

Expensive Oil Change

SilvrT

Last Friday I changed out my Amsoil synthetic 10w40 oil and put in Amsoil synthetic 20w50. Thought maybe it would quieten the engine and the clutch whine. Around here, that oil costs $19.95/litre and it takes almost 4 litres with a new filter so, all tolled with taxes it came to $101 and change.

To my dismay, the engine actually seemed noisier and the whine louder. I also noticed the temps on the gauge getting up to between 220 & 230.

Yesterday morning I decided to go get some Shell Rotella T (non synthetic). I got the 15w40.

I'm happy to report that even though I virtually wasted $100 on the Amsoil, the engine is quieter, the clutch whine is quieter, and the temps are sticking close to 210-215 on the gauge after a couple days running around the city in 30 degree celcius weather..

I drained the Amsoil back into the containers and kept it for some other future use. Think I'll be sticking with the Rotella T.

Yup, the one and only time I tried synthetic and gave it an honest chance, that's when I learned what the engine whine was all about. I never heard it before that, didn't know what everyone was talking about. My engine just screamed at me. The wife even noticed it and asked me what in the world I had done to my bike now and was it going to go away or was it permanent. I didn't know. A few oil changes later with Rotella T dino oil and it did finally settle back down.

Be real careful about saying this about synthetic oil around here though. You'll get clubbed and beaten and have people looking down their noses at you.

I'll stick with my first choice and try the synthetic first and like you, give it a real chance. If it doesn't quiet the whine/chirp then no big deal because everyone here has said it's not causing damage. I can get used to anything that causes lots of noise...I was married once!

:Im not listening to

I'll stick with my first choice and try the synthetic first and like you, give it a real chance. If it doesn't quiet the whine/chirp then no big deal because everyone here has said it's not causing damage. I can get used to anything that causes lots of noise...I was married once!

That is telling me you DIDN'T get used to it !

:rotf:

Yup, the one and only time I tried synthetic and gave it an honest chance, that's when I learned what the engine whine was all about. I never heard it before that, didn't know what everyone was talking about. My engine just screamed at me. The wife even noticed it and asked me what in the world I had done to my bike now and was it going to go away or was it permanent. I didn't know. A few oil changes later with Rotella T dino oil and it did finally settle back down.

Be real careful about saying this about synthetic oil around here though. You'll get clubbed and beaten and have people looking down their noses at you.

I'm totally with Lynn here. Where can i sign ?? I'd like to add that synthetic Oil makes the Clutch slip, at least on a 140 hp Vmax Motor, but that's also very dangerous to say. No Discussion meant or opening a Can of Worms here, it's only like i know it. My Opinion, so to speak.

!

That is telling me you DIDN'T get used to it

:rotf:

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

What really quieted my bike down was using Honda Moly60 grease on the splines of the drive-shaft, the splines that connect the final drive to the clutch hub and drive pins that connect the clutch hub to the rear wheel.

I have not noticed a big difference with the engine oil.

What have you used to lubricate the parts I listed above?