IGNORED

Carb Tune / Adjust

Is there anyone in NC that can preform a carbtune/adjustment? I am def wanting to help and learn how to do this but I dont have the tool that is needed. I would like to try to get this done this month or next because I am heading out to Sturgis on the 31 july. It is an 07 midnight and runs good i just think that it needs a tuneup. Is there anything i should look for to even know if it really needs one? Thanks for the help VR family.

Robert 'TheKid'

Well if you want to run up to Oberlin Ohio this Saturday I would be happy to carbtune your bike

:)

Seriously though, there are some folks in NC that do have carbtunes, give the post a little time and I'm sure you'll find someone who would go for a ride and help you out :thumbsup2:

Robert,

I live in Lugoff, SC (actually locals say "I stay at Lugoff",,, go figure, so then

I tell them I'm a LooGoofian).

Anyhow,,, I got the Morgan Carbtune last month. Have only used it on two Royals.

Not much to it. (But I do not have a tach.)

If you might be going to the Star Touring SE Star BQ in Charleston this month,

(6/19 - 6/21) I am bringing it with me.

Else, I'm about 90 miles south of you. If you don't find one, let me know.

You could ride down if timing works.

Or, I do need a trip to Frugal McDougal's (Carowins area) in the next week or so, might be in your neighborhood.

Let me know if you don't find one local.

My mileage has gone up 5+ but more important, my tank range has streched out 20+

That would be nice before you hit the long road.

mikeginsc@bellsouth.net

Well if you want to run up to Oberlin Ohio this Saturday I would be happy to carbtune your bike

:)

Seriously though, there are some folks in NC that do have carbtunes, give the post a little time and I'm sure you'll find someone who would go for a ride and help you out :thumbsup2:

I sure wish i could make it to Ohio this weekend, but that wont be in the works for me. Y'all have fun this weekend.

Thanks to all I will be in contact about something. I have to get it running again. I dont know what is wrong right now. It might be bad gas, fault plugs, or fuel pump. I am going to be pulling the tank and draining it and also draining the carb bowls. Then check the plugs and put new gas in.

What is going on is I can get it to run on the choke but then when i push it in it dies. I rode it 10 miles today and then it stoped and would crank again for a few min. then it would with choke out but would die. I let it sit for about 15 - 20 min and then it cranked again and i could ride it back home 10 miles. I did change the exhaust to a free flow open so I am think it makes it run way to rich and fluiding the plugs. I will be changing them back to the road kings i road for like 25K with no problems. I also put the cards hoses and plugs back on and did away with the cross over.

What i said above is all i can think of. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

Thanks everyone.

In your options you mentioned fuel pump.

I had a fuel pump die last month. (Question: When you haven't started if for a day, do you hear it click for a few seconds when you turn key & kill switch on? If no clicks, could be faulty.)

It is inside the side cover, below the seat. The filter is next to it, about mid bike.

Before you pull the tank you could pull the hose from the carb input to see if it is pumping. You will probably have to pull the seat then just remove the tank bolt under the seat area to pivot the tank up, then use needle nose to pull the hose to the carbs.

See if it pumps gas to a jar. If it shoots pretty good, not the pump.

If it does not pump, and no clicking, pump could be bad. (unless it is blocked at tank or clogged filter.) Mine was bad.

I did bypass mine with gravity feed for a week till I got a new one under warranty. Works great.

To gravity feed, take the hose that goes from tank valve to the fuel filter, pull from filter (wiggle it to make sure you found it).

Route this directly to the carb input. As long as you have, say over 1/4 tank, it should gravity feed. I did put a $3 filter inline for that week.

If doing this, I suggest you disconnect power to the pump which is in the fuse box area.

Else any remaining gas may try to pump and could toast your bike. I hate when that happens.

Just a thought. Someone else may have clues on other possibilities.

Mike G.

Oh, Sleeperhawk, I will keep your invite in mind, thanks. Not sure of my plans that weekend yet.

try opening the gas cap and see if there is vacuum on it, it maybe the vent tube is stopped up. it's up on the front of the tank, you can blow thru the tube and stick a small wire or straighten paper clip thru thr connecter on the tank tosee if it's stopped up. if it's the vent stopped up your tank could inplose because of it.

Guys thanks a lot for all the help and info.

I still might take y'all up on on the card tune though one day.

I put the bike back to the way it was with the road king pipes that I had on it for 27K miles and it is back running fine. This of course is after I checked everything, spark plugs, tank removal and drain, carbs, fuel pump, and even checked to make sure everything was getting power.

After putting everything back together and the RK pipes back on and filling her up with some high tes to give her a "shot" of the good stuff I road her for a hard 35 mile ride and she purrs once again. I was happy.

Thanks again everyone.

Art is coming to my place on Saturday June 13. If you guys want to, come on over and between the four or six of us, I am sure we can get your bikes up and running. :whistling: I know Wanderer and maybe Dave38x will be here too.

Yep... I'll definitely be there, weather permitting. I might be a little groggy from driving back from Florida Friday evening after a vacation week with an 11y/0. :) And many thanks , again, for helping me with this. However, the bike runs crappy but I got about 45 mpg on a 160 mile ride Monday. Maybe I shouldn't mess with it. :scratchchin: lol

Hey guys, to confirm this, the screw to adjust the LEFT and RIGHT carbs is on the left side of the bike near the choke knob..

The 1&2 carb screw is on the right side front, but the 3&4 carb screw is where? I've seen three conflicting schematics and explanations as to where these are..

I haven't taken my new Carbtune out of the box yet, but I printed Freebird's article from the tech section and plan to use it as my guide.

There are diagrams AND photographs in the article; I hope it helps (both you and me)....

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=258

Thanks Steve, I found my problem in error is that I had seen a 1st Gen carb schematic and got lost as to where the screws are.. there is another FAQ to be found here http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002010&id=311 which amplifies Freebird's excellent article..

All I need now is a proper tach but the clamp on ones sold in the USA cannot be shipped to Canada.. NAFTA at it's best again?

Thanks!

Sleeperhawk and Art, and,,,,?

Hey, thanks for the invite to the Columbia SC shade tree clinic.

Unless some force of nature hits me,,, see you about 9 or so tomorrow morning.

I'll bring my Carbtune and a foot long phillips. Is there a doughnut store along the way?

I'll bring my own coffee. Hey, 10 would have given me more beauty sleep!

Mike G in SC