IGNORED

avons let me down

big_mike

thought i checked my tires this year pretty good but the other day i just happened to glance at my rear (tire) and noticed a crack deep in the tread after removing the tire this eaving i noticed 3 cracks deep in the tread one of them about 3 inches long i believe its a delamination of the tire i had the dealer order a new one today and i'll bge taking this one in tomarrow and see if they can get me some kind of warranty.:fingers-crossed-emo

Big Mike, I thought I would pass along some information that I gathered a few weeks ago. The phone number for Avon is 1-800-624-7470 customer service. I bought new ones and after reading a few posts here I became concerned and called them. They said that most of the trouble that Avon had from these tires was in the 2005 yr. There is a four digit number with a circle around them on the side of the tire. The first two digits is the week the tire was made of the last two digits of that yr. for instance 4505 would be 45 th week of 2005 yr. These tires are under a five yr warranty and the Customer Rep assured me, along with several other people, that they would replace and pay for mounting if any problems come up. I also ask why there is no painted dot on the tires. The rep told me that the tires are manufactured so close to tollerance that they do not need dot. I just came back from a four day ride of 1,090 miles and I am very pleased with the tires. My tires are made in 2008.I put them on myself with some help from a friend and then had them balanced for $15.00 a piece. The handling was so much better than the Bickstones. I am very very very impressed so far. Just had to give my 2 cents worth....

thought i checked my tires this year pretty good but the other day i just happened to glance at my rear (tire) and noticed a crack deep in the tread after removing the tire this eaving i noticed 3 cracks deep in the tread one of them about 3 inches long i believe its a delamination of the tire i had the dealer order a new one today and i'll bge taking this one in tomarrow and see if they can get me some kind of warranty.:fingers-crossed-emo

note to the tire dealer.............

yes sir, i have this crap tire that should be a better tire, ...if i give this one back to you,... will you please give me another crap tire at a discount.... so that i can pay you to install it for me ....so that i can feel good about the idea of waiting for my new crap tire to do the same thing... and we can do this all over again next year??? that is if i live through the season because i'm going to look at my crap tire more often than i did my last crap tire.

please note that i did not say that the crap tire in the note was a avon venom.

and i never told the story of the crap tire that blew out on my bike that was 5 days old and had 2600 miles on it.

WARRANTY is only a good thing if your life does not depend on the product.. like a battery or tv or an ipod......ya know what i mean??

michelin/mike

... I also ask why there is no painted dot on the tires. The rep told me that the tires are manufactured so close to tollerance that they do not need dot.

I attended a presentation by the Avon regional rep. He said that the reason there is no dot is because they want to force the installer to balance them rather than just aligning the dot with the valve stem. Furthermore he said that if 2 oz. of weight doesn't balance the tire they recommend dismounting, rotating and re-mounting the tire to get below 2 oz.

My personal experience with them is that they are no better balanced than any other tire.

i don't think they were out of balance but thats good info seeing the bike shop i got them from is closed maybe the new one will balance them better i do remember alot of weight added to one side when i first got them. i was trying to remember the shop it was on 7 mile east of middlebelt in livonia

My son spoke with Avon today regarding his front tire that has sidewall cracking (back tire is fine) The code on the front is 0632 and they had him drop his bike at the dealer for a warranty replacement. He said that they were excellent to work with.

Best of luck!!

Dave

after all the smoke cleared the bottom line is i talked to avon and they had my dealer check the tread wear and date code [2605] and prorated the tire because i was over 50% wear and sold me a new tire for 79.00 and i pay for mount and balance. considering i believe i had over 8000 miles on the tire that was a fair deal:mo money:

I attended a presentation by the Avon regional rep. He said that the reason there is no dot is because they want to force the installer to balance them rather than just aligning the dot with the valve stem. Furthermore he said that if 2 oz. of weight doesn't balance the tire they recommend dismounting, rotating and re-mounting the tire to get below 2 oz.

My personal experience with them is that they are no better balanced than any other tire.

I mount and balance my own tires. I have located and marked the heavy spot on my wheels. When I align the yellow dot with the heavy spot(not the valve stem) sometimes I don't have to add any weight.

Guest HdHtr

Mike: Quite a few of us have experienced this problem. I had both front and rear crack significantly on a brand new set of Venoms. I contacted:

Jesse Priel

Avon Customer Service

c/o Hoppe & Assoc, Inc.

PO. Box 5112

Lynnwood, WA 98046 USA

Tel: 800-624-7470, Fax: 425-771-4246

Avon replaced both tires and it included mounting and balancing at a local Yamaha dealer here in my area. Avon worked directly with me and with the dealer I selected to install the tires. They were easy to work with, professional and really worked hard to keep me as a customer. I was very satisfied with their responses, actions and service.