IGNORED

Best GPS under $200.00??

the MOST IMPORTANT feature is that when you take it out into full sunlight it is easily readable. 90% of all GPS's cant be read in full sunlight. Most of the cheapies cant be read even on a bright cloudy day.

If you want to use the GPS you need to be able to see it, so start there. Roadmate 760 is daylight viewable, but it's large. But it's really cheap at the above store link.

Edited by timgray

I have a MIO C520 for the longest time. Worked great, nice and small and easy to plot my own routes however not sunlight readable, not rugged and not watertight. Be careful buying a unit made for a car is my point.

Based on what I read here, I went with a refurbed Garmin 2720. They are all over eBay, I paid $110 and it looks like it came from the factory, complete with everything it;s supposed to come with.

Positives: I can see it! It recalculates super fast. It's waterproof. It's rugged. It's glove friendly. It has a wide screen display with extra map data off to the right. It can speak the street names in a few pleasent voices. I love the Garmin PC software that allows me to create routes on my PC and dump them into the Garmin and since the Garmin takes standard GPS Map files, I can also download existing ride maps I stumble on. OVerall great unit for the money.

Negatives: 2720 doesnt have a battery. It doesnt have an internal speaker which is worthless on a bike anyway but the 12VDC cigarette adapter included has the speaker built in, but also useless on a bike. However, Garmin sells a cable kit that'll allow for hard wired power plus output to your bikes sound system. It doesnt have a docking station. Connection has to be made and unmade each time you remove the unit. The cable kit can include the cradle if you get the right one. It's larger then todays units (specifically deeper then I like).

Anyway.... There are a few Garmin models in this category, 2730, 2820 for example. Check eBay and do a search here on the forums. Hope that helps.

I would recommend Magellan 2200T unit.

Waterproof, flash memory type, talking directions, SD card slot for MP3 tunes, Audio out.

And affordable.

http://magellan.factoryoutletstore.com/details/3570-3276/RoadMate-Series-Refurbished-GPS-Magellan-ROAD2200T-R.html

Good luck

I have one of these and although it works great in my auto I had it mounted to my Road Star and it shook it to death. It quit working and I had to replace it. Should work fine on a Venture though.:thumbsup2:

I have one of these and although it works great in my auto I had it mounted to my Road Star and it shook it to death. It quit working and I had to replace it. Should work fine on a Venture though.:thumbsup2:

Maybe you can answer my question....

Will the 2200T play MP3's while it is in map mode? Some that I have seen will not. When the MP3 function is active the navigation function is turned off.

Also, can you load routes into this unit that you create on your computer?

Thanks in advance...

Joe

Maybe you can answer my question....

Will the 2200T play MP3's while it is in map mode? Some that I have seen will not. When the MP3 function is active the navigation function is turned off.

Also, can you load routes into this unit that you create on your computer?

Thanks in advance...

Joe

No you can not load routes and I never tried to play MP3's when I had it on my Road Star. I have BUB pipes so it would have been useless to try and I don't need it in the car. Sorry.:confused24: