IGNORED

leaking shock this time?

When I 1st bought the bike thought the shock could be leaking. Dealer checked it out and at least they thought it wasn't the shock. Have to go back through my posts because I can't remember their explanation any more. I haven't had any problems since until now.

Dealer did just recently do a service on it 60k (I believe) too. Could they not have tightened something down correctly which is causing fluid to leak towards or around the shock? Just not sure what fluids the bike has that would be reddish.

It's a reddish color so it isn't engine oil. The bottom of the shock is wet.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/lylejt/Bike%20Pics/Venture/Leak%20052009/P1010004.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/lylejt/Bike%20Pics/Venture/Leak%20052009/P1010005.jpg

Same area mine was leaking (altho not quite as bad as yours) and it was the shock. My dealer didn't fuss, complain or give me the run around. As soon as I pointed it out, they pulled my bike right in and replaced it under warranty. I'm no mechanic/expert...but that looks to me like your shock is bad.

you guys are funny. I installed my back up shock last night. I shook the old shock and at least there was still something in there. I could hear the liquid swooshing around. I pulled down the boot too. Not sure if it is supposed to be waterproof or not but there was liquid on the inside of the boot too. I should have it back all together soon and take a test ride either Thursday or Saturday. Cross your fingers the spare shock doesn't leak.

Taking out the valve stem and squirting some hydraulic fluid along with fork oil was one remedy for the noisy shock syndrome. More than likely the previous owner did that. If that is what is in fact what was leaking out then the shock won't hold air.

I didn't have a noisy shock while riding. I do know when I bought the bike, the dealer replaced the schrader valve. After that it seemed to hold air just fine. Never messed w/ air pressure after that. I would check it from time to time and it held. They could have done as you suggested w/ the hydraulic & fork oil?

I didn't have a noisy shock while riding. I do know when I bought the bike, the dealer replaced the schrader valve. After that it seemed to hold air just fine. Never messed w/ air pressure after that. I would check it from time to time and it held. They could have done as you suggested w/ the hydraulic & fork oil?

I am assuming you didn't buy it new. The RSV shocks are notorious for groaning after a few thousand miles. I wouldn't put it past the dealer to use the hyde fluid to quite the shock down to sell it. If they replaced the schrader valve, you can bet there was a reason for it. They probably messed it up trying to get the hyde fluid into it. :whistling:

What you need to do is see if the shock will hold air now. That will give you a good indication as to whether or not the shock is shot.

Kevin,

Would that make it a YamaDavidson? LOL

I test rode the bike tonight for about 10 minutes. No bouncing around. Also checked the air before and after the ride. It held the same PSI before and after. I am going to take a slightly longer ride on Saturday, but so far I think the spare is going to work out fine. If that holds I will be at a local benefit for a children's hospital on Sunday. It is pretty much an all day thing.

S.Dawg,

You are right, I did not buy the spare new. I actually bought it off e-bay. I asked the seller plenty of questions before I pulled the trigger. He answered them to my satisfaction that the shock was a good one (of course he could have lied in his answers but so far from today's short test ride, it doesn't seem so).

It's possible on the one I just took off that the dealer messed up. I am not sure what they did to it before I bought the bike.

If all still goes well this weekend, I might drill a hole in the old shock to see if the fluid is the same color as what was on the ground. That will tell me for sure if the shock was shot.