IGNORED

!#@$!%!!@#&*%$$

Tnventurer

..........you cut them...........

I would not do this..!!!!!!!!!

Do not cut them off....you can always use them again or sell them.

on chrome weight end cap there is a small plastic cap hiding the allen head bolt that holds the weight on

We're talking 1st gen here so there are no end weights (that I can recall)...and, I disagree about cutting...if they are worn out or the original grips or just plain old junkie grips some other idiot put on...

CUT EM OFF AND TRASH 'EM

Left grip..on chrome weight end cap there is a small plastic cap hiding the allen head bolt that holds the weight on.

Eck you must be thinking 2nd gen. As I did not find any on the Mk1, when I changed my grips out. The weights were almost the same length as the tubes & just slid into place.

• 10 months later...

On my 1987 Venture I had to slide my right-side grip entirely off to work on the starter switch. I had to disconnect the throttle control cables (to get enough slack) on the mechanism down on the left side near top of the engine. After that one can slip off the grip and you will see a screw down inside at the end of the grip that holds on the end cap. With the end cap removed you can change the grip. Probably is an easier way but thought I would share.

Best of Luck

Ryan:thumbsup2:

For the left side, cut the darned thing off. For the right side, take the right handlebar switch assembly apart (two screw on bottom). The assembly splits apart and is very easy to reassemble. Loosen up the tension adjustment nearest the grip and that should give you enough to remove one cable, then do the same for the other cable. After the entire grip is separated from the switch assembly and the cables, CAREFULLY cut the old grip off. Try not to cut into the old plastic. If you score into the plastic a little bit, it won't hurt anything. Get a little soapy water to act as a lubricant (dries quick and acts as a glue too) when installing the grips. Install the grip onto the right throttle plastic sleeve. Before installing the sleeve back onto the handlebar/switch assembly, get some fine (at least 400 grit) sandpaper and a little oil to clean up any corrosion on the handle bar. This can cause the throttle to seem sticky. DO NOT use WD-40 as all it is a "Water Displacement" agent. After it dries, it will expose the current corrosion to even more corrosion. Simple 3-in-1 oil (or even motor oil, in a pinch) will work. Reverse process of removal. Be sure to readjust cable tensioner so that you have aproximately 1/4 inch to (not more than) 1/2 inch of travel before throttle is engaged. You'll feel/know what feels comfortable.