IGNORED

Question for 2nd gen owners with water temp gauge

For the last week I've been on vacation and have done quite a bit of riding and I have been observing the water temperature guage that I recently installed. The temperature doesn't seem to be very stable. Sometimes when cruising 60 mph it will hold at 185 and a while later it will be at 200, cruise on a while longer and it will drop back to 190. At first I just thought it was the thermostat cycling but it may hold the temperatures for 30 minutes or more. In the cars and trucks that I have owned the temperature is always very stable at cruising speeds. Have any of you with guages noticed this type of temperature swings? My guage is an electrical guage.

Dennis

Are the times when it gets hotter times when the engine is forced to work harder, like, stronger winds, up hill, dragging your feet... ?

I know I've seen the temp gauge in my car go up and down (digital gauge) when going uphill, on long stretches, or with a strong wind.

Mine is pretty constant at around 210 ... but mine isn't electrical... maybe the electrical ones are a bit more sensitive to the temp swings at the engine whereas the kind I have might not be. Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about it as long as the readings don't go too far beyond 200-210.

Guest Lightnen
For the last week I've been on vacation and have done quite a bit of riding and I have been observing the water temperature guage that I recently installed. The temperature doesn't seem to be very stable. Sometimes when cruising 60 mph it will hold at 185 and a while later it will be at 200, cruise on a while longer and it will drop back to 190. At first I just thought it was the thermostat cycling but it may hold the temperatures for 30 minutes or more. In the cars and trucks that I have owned the temperature is always very stable at cruising speeds. Have any of you with guages noticed this type of temperature swings? My guage is an electrical guage.

Dennis

I installed a machcanical guage few months ago as well and on my 06 RSV it will go as high as 220 F. BUT as long as it don't go higher I don't think there is anything to worry about. Guages will vary and not two will read the same unless you install a very very expensive one..

I haven't been too concerned about the variation in readings. The only time it gets to 210 is in stop and go city driving. All other times the temps stay between 185 and 200. It just seemed to fluctuate more than I expected for steady state level riding.

Dennis

In the cars and trucks that I have owned the temperature is always very stable at cruising speeds.

Most cars and trucks have glorified idiot lights acting as gauges. These move to a preset level when temperatures are within a typical range and stay there. One exception (off the top of my head) are the gauges in Chevy trucks. They are real gauges and one of the things I prefer over my Ford truck that has fake gauges.

Some of you who are always over 200° need to check out for airflow obstructions or coolant condition. Cruising should have temp values of

• 3 weeks later...
Some of you who are always over 200° need to check out for airflow obstructions or coolant condition. Cruising should have temp values of

Not so. Standard operating temperature for the RSV is 210 F. I have verified this with an infrared thermometer on the head right next to the sending unit. That has been true for both my 2005 and the 2007 I owned. Additional information to support that is the fact the shop manual states the thermostat does not reach full open position until 203 F.

Goose

Today was quite warm (around 28 celcius) and we were on the "Ride for Dad" run. The first leg of the route took us thru downtown Vancouver, across the Lions Gate bridge and into West Van. There were over 2000 bikes! ... I barely got the bike out of 1st gear during that time and my temp gauge was pushing 230. I wasn't concerned coz it would get up there and then drop back down a bit so I knew the fan, etc was doing it's job. Besides, there's got to be some room for error on a gauge set that costs $39.95 for the whole set. Generally tho, it sits right at 210 on a warm day at highway cruising.

Not so. Standard operating temperature for the RSV is 210 F.....the shop manual states the thermostat does not reach full open position until 203 F.

Goose

For real? Why so hot? That's hotter than my past bikes and any of my 4-wheeled vehicles.

Just got back from a 14 hour ride from Salt Lake City to Medicine Hat, Alberta. My temperature gauge cycled from 210 to 230 constantly. It took about 30 seconds to go from 210 to 230. Then about 10 seconds to go from 230 back to 210 as the thermostat opened. I don't think the numbers are accurate (as stated above what do you expect from a $20 gauge) but it did show a definate cycle. FWIW :scratchchin:

• 3 years later...
Just got back from a 14 hour ride from Salt Lake City to Medicine Hat, Alberta. My temperature gauge cycled from 210 to 230 constantly. It took about 30 seconds to go from 210 to 230. Then about 10 seconds to go from 230 back to 210 as the thermostat opened. I don't think the numbers are accurate (as stated above what do you expect from a $20 gauge) but it did show a definate cycle. FWIW :scratchchin:

Mine does the same thing, and living in Kamloops heat, it's pretty much like that all the time.:225: